Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone flying a sidecar?

Greetings all!
    thanks for all info on the carbs. I should be on the road by Saturday! Sunday at the very latest Rocky Mountain weather permitting.
    I was wondering if anyone on the list was riding an XS with a sidecar attached?
    Due to two decades of ongoing spinal trouble this may be my next accessory. Any info appreciated! and thanks for a great site!
    Regards,
    Rik
    1979 XS1100F
    "Jammin'Econo"

79 XS1100F "Talkin' 'bout shaft"

77 CB750 A "Dumpster classic" aka "Rattus Ottomaticus"

Rik,

I used to run a Velorex 562 on my '81 XS1100SH it was a blast for passengers and cargo, but it was a scary bitch to drive. Sold it a year later.

Comment

Yeah, me - -

- - and Jetmech Marty for sure and doubtless some others.
      I'm hauling a Spirit of America chair (looks like a California Friendship I but it has a better chassis)
      A sidecar attaches to an XS11 without using the elaborate subframe that some other bikes need. Simply make sure both of the front attachments bridge both frame tubes. An L-shaped thingie bolted to both centrestand brackets and supported from the footpeg will mount the lower rear while the upper rear will be OK with a George clamp on the seat tube near the top of the shock.
      An XS11 has the power to haul any sidecar but don't fit one that's too light.
      A sidecar should weigh AT LEAST 30% of the bike's weight. Also, the wider the track is set the more stable the rig will be.
      With the stock steering trail a rig will be a touch heavy to steer. You can live with it but mix'n'matching Special fork legs onto your Standard trees (sorry, you hafta take 'em dopey ATE style brakes & all) will cut the trail in half to lighten the steering.
      Swapping in a Special 16" rear wheel will improve the final drive ratio.
      Sidecars steer all funny, take a sidecar riding course if you can find one. Do low speed figure 8s in a deserted carpark until you can controllably lift the sidecar wheel and put it down again.
      WARNING!
      Sidecars are severely addictive and there is no known cure.
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Guys,

The European Sport models have the leading axle forks, without the goofy brakes; Same caliper mounts as the rest!

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

i have a 78 xs with a 93 Hitchhiker. switched to 16" rear wheel. will do the front end when it warms up.
          fly

Comment

Working...
          X