front fork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front fork question

Had my bike for about a year now and have done nothing to the front forks. How do I know if there is even oil in them? Is it really springy if there is none? Bike sat for 10 years, should I change the seals and put in new oil? is there a way to measure the oil inside if there is any? I really know nothing about front forks. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Pull the drain plugs and see how much oil comes out and I'll bet it will be black. It will be springy if there isn't enough oil to dampen the springs. According to my Clymers, regular forks take 7.12 oz, and air/forks take 7.61 oz. The book says to use a 10w fork oil.

Comment

Hi Audijunky,

If it is 10 years old, it needs changed! If they are not leaking, I would leave the seals alone. There are drain screws on the outside of the lags, near the bottom. Take them out and let it drain; you will have to pump the forks up and down to get the last of it out- It will spray out horizontally, so make arrangements to catch it!

Refill by taking the top caps out- one at a time. Your manual will give quantities and grades; try standard first, then upgrade if necessary!

I have been meaning to ask for ages; Why are you called Audijunky?

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I like Audi's and I currently drive a 2000 AWD Avant wagon. I like German cars for some reason. I also have A 94 VW golf and I am 27 years old.
        So if I open the drain plugs and nothing comes out, should I first add oil and check for leaks or just get new seals than add oil ?
        Just noticed your from Scotland, not sure if you know or not but a junky is slang in the US for someone who is addicted to something(drugs, speed, adrenaline, cars, whatever)
        Last edited by audijunky; 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM.
        Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Hi Audijunky,

Same word works over here too! I wondered 'cos I am one too. I drive a 200 Turbo quattro Avant and have two saloons for spares. I have just bought an A2 TDi for the wife; don't know if they got exported to USA?

AlanB

Comment

Hi Audijunky,

Sorry, I got sidetracked! Forks are unlikely to be empty- bike would be almost undriveable. If nothing comes out, they are probablt blocked with muck. either try a bit of wire, or just bounce the forks with the plugs out.

If the forks are empty, the forks will continue to bounce once you have them started.

AlanB

Comment

Well I guess there is oil in them cause I have been riding it. They are not springy at all kind of saggy actually. I ask cause I have lowered it considerably and need more stiffness.If I hit a cornerer to fast and try to break a little while cornering it drags the header to pipe connecting hardware. Not sure about the TDI.
              actually I dont think they sell any A2's here. I have never seen one anyway. Just A4, A6, A8 S4 S6 and maybe the S8. They sure are some nice rides.
              Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Oh yeah, guess I am gonna just do the oil change. What would putting more oil in than the specs say do? Stiffen it up? I wish it were that easy
                Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
                  you will have to pump the forks up and down to get the last of it out- It will spray out horizontally, so make arrangements to catch it!
                  AlanB
                  What Alan really means is if you pump the forks aggressively, it will spray nasty black oil about six feet onto something you didn't really want to get dirty.

DAMHIKIJD...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X