Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get the idiot of the year award

Yes,

I am an idiot. Quite possibly the idiot of the year (2004).

Three years ago I followed my Clymer's and set my pivot shafts to 72 ft/lbs.

Now i've got one pivot shaft cross-threaded and I'm preparing to drill it out. Anyone know the thread size of the shaft? So I can go buy the tap!

Before you ask, i've already got new bearings, races and seals. Time to order an new pivot shaft, too!

Whoa.. Hold the phone! is the clymers wrong? I just finsihed reinstalling my swingarm according to clymers. I did not use a torque wrench so it is about 40ft lbs. WHat is the actuall torque supposed to be?
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Ft. Lbs. VS Inch Lbs

Here Ya Go................. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=10496

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=11307
      Last edited by John; 02-25-2007, 08:12 PM.
      "Elvira"
      '80 XS1100LG

Comment

OK are you talking about the bearing pins themselfs or the pin position LOCK nuts? I am not at home now so I don't have access to my factory manual but as a rule tapered bearings are only torqued enough to seat them. The number is likely low. However given the size of the pins, lock nuts and importance of the pins not backing out the lock nut toque may in fact be a large number. I will check my factory manual tomorrow and post what it says.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob, Yes your'e pin/ I.E.---Pivot should only be 43-52 INCH Lbs. Lock nut @ 72 FT. Lbs.! As most will not even set torque on the pivot, Adj. side/side measurements, snug & lock down the nut.
          #5 on pic being the pivot bolt, sorry don't know the size & thread?http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~XS1100F.asp
          Don't know why prev. post went W I D E!!??! Sorry
          W I D E post all fixed.
          John
          Last edited by John; 02-25-2007, 08:14 PM.
          "Elvira"
          '80 XS1100LG

Comment

YOU with idiot of the year?? Not quite! lol. I recently had a bad popping and backfiring. I figured it was due to a really bad over-rev I had (Was almost redline in third when it clicked into second??) Anyway.. figured a bent valve. I tore the head off and checked the valves. All seemed OK, but a couple did seep just a bit, so I re-lapped them. When messing with it... I found that #3 and 4 carb holders were quite loose... hence my lean popping and backfiring... Oh well. Back together I go.. Try to synch the carbs, but it's running like CRAP. So I think dirty carbs... Back off the bike they come and tore apart and cleaned. I bench synch them... put them back on and.... STILL runs like crap! Next I pull off the side cover over the points and check everything out there... seems OK. I now sit back with a beer (Always helps me think) and think of what it can be... then the light goes on in my head. I know most of you probably have it figured out by now... but the #3 spark plug electrode had gotten mashed down against the tip on installation. A new plug and it purrs like a kitten!

Do I at least get runner up for the title? I have to keep up with my name ya know! lol..

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Competition

Ok, Guess I am in the runnin' to Randy! Apparently unable to post this particular page? Will try this one as last attempt..........Then will be waiting for award to arrive in the snail mail...lol
              http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

you see i just got done with that thing myself but questioned the high numbers in the book, they don't operate too different than the steering bearings and those need to be finesed.

i hope you didn't kill the bearings and the preload must have been rediculous, just how did it handle?

don't fret, we all over do our bikes, target fixation?
                Last edited by mason79; 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM.
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

did the clymers err by saying ft lbs in stead of in lbs, or can I just not read?
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Errors!

Clymers did a decent job on the this manual, but as in all publications there will be typo's and such.TC had posted thread on this awhile back. Maybe need to think about making it a sticky? Are you listening TC? Just a thought.
                    And thanks John...............
                    "Elvira"
                    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

OK .. My factory manual says:
                      When adjusting the swing arm gap loosen the pin on the larger gap side and tighten the opposite side pin to 43 - 52 INCH POUNDS
                      Repeat as above as necessary until gap on both sides is the same.
                      Tighten LOCK NUTS to 73 FOOT POUNDS

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

OK, Rob, now look in the 'torque specifications' tables, what's it say?

Comment

All I can find at the end of the manual in the list of torque values is an entry that says "pivot shaft" and the torque listed is in deed 72.3 FT. Lbs. If "pivot shaft" is what they call the swing arm pins then there is for sure a type O here even in the factory manual.
                          There's no way tapered bearings are going to like that much torque and I would adhere to the values listed descriptive section of the manual. Looks like someone forgot the words lock nut.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Good news. The threads in the frame are A-OK. Seems the binding of the pivot shaft was caused by rust in the threads. Everything cleaned up nicely. Of course the shaft was destroyed in the procees of removal, but John saved the day with a replacement! Thanks, John

Comment

Glad I could help, Randy.

Comment

Working...
                              X