Exhaust Gasket Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Gasket Fitment

I bought new gaskets for the '79 hybrid. They appear to be thin stainless or aluminum designed to crush when fitted. The problem I have is the studs are too short to get the flange nuts started. Anyone else have this problem with the stock exhaust gaskets? Solutions?
    Larry/Crossville, TN
    80 XS11 Midnight (el gallo negro)
    80 XS850S
    79 XS750S
    79 XS650
    77 RD400
    80 SR500
    et al

The studs are two lengths, depending on the model of bike. I think the Standard has the longer stud, and the special had the shorter studs.
    You can try and replace the studs with a longer one if you have a special, but I would run a tap through the head if you do. Also, use RED locktight on the studs, to keep them from backing out.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Make sure all the old gasket material is removed. Sounds obvious, but I've seen cases where the outer ring of the old gasket looks for all the world like part of the head. If not removed the new gaskets don't seat all the way down like they should. There should be a well-defined shoulder that the new gaskets seat against.

You are right, the gaskets are designed to crush when fitted, which means you should check the flange nuts fairly often for the first couple hundred miles after you get them installed; they will need to be snugged up once or twice.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

"Ray's a real stud!" Woo Woo!

I agree with the loctite, though I would use blue. Will still hold it in place... but I may wish to take them out at a later date. (actually, I wouldn't use any at all, but that's just me)
        And the loctite goes on the part of the stud that goes into the head only, not the nuts that hold the headers on.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I have a 78 engine in my 81 SH, and that engine has longer studs than those that were in the original 81 engine. I had to use a few washers to take up the extra length.

Comment

Working...
          X