No announcement yet.

What is this? (mysterious black box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've been convinced to stick with the touring equipment for now since I don't anything against it other than its somewhat rough appearance. Thanks for all the great info about its history!

Mathh, can you tell me more about your plug? I searched in a hardware store for a bolt of the same size and thread, but had no luck.

Ken, your's is beautiful...I hope someday I get mine cleaned up that nice.

Thanks for the information I needed.

Kevin
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

go naked but keep your clothes.

i bought my 79f from a po who had it dressed, albeit all aftermarket, i sold the stuff off, what an experience,

then i bought, stuff back, oem stuff, still more experience,

then i rode up to san francisco with planedick, and decided the touring is better left for the diehards.

so yet again i sold everthing off,

heres the thing since yours is of a rare feather and if you are not strapped for cash, and have the room to hold the items, take em off and store em for prosterity/investment/ nostalgia?.

since i have been down this road, here is what you will need to go naked.

turn signals are still sold new aftermarket, not expensive, i have seen them, i can't vouch for the quality, caveat emptor,

if you want the oringinal look then you will need chrome stems that mount with the 2 lower triple clamps, the blinkers bolt to these. the wires run thru the stems,you can use the lenses off the fairing, just in case fyi.

the standards blinkers don't mount on the ears, if you have ears and they are folded back for fairing clarence, great; if not , go fleabayin.

the ears will hold the bucket; a black plastic item with cutouts to feed your harness, don't forget that the bucket has an adjuster tab on the right bottom for course adjustments, a hex/ phillips screw, then the tab, then the spring, to a small L bracket bolted to the lower triple clamp, seen from behind only when the steering is full lock to the right.

headlight and bezel from the oem fairing should fit the bucket, i have done this no problemishes, they are 1 unit iirc, and finally the reflectors which have hollow studs protruding into the bucket and tighten by nuts, so the reflector do serve a purpose other than safety

done.

blinkers
      headlight bucket, with adjuster hardware
      2 reflectors
      your headlight with bezel and check to see if you have the rubberheadlight bulb seal/cover in the back
      2 blinker stems
      Last edited by mason79; 01-25-2007, 11:20 PM.
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90
        [B]
        Mathh, can you tell me more about your plug? I searched in a hardware store for a bolt of the same size and thread, but had no luck.

These were milled from a length of hexagonal stainless and polished afterwards. Had them made at work and cost me nothing.
        XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
        MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
        Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
        Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
        Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
        Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

When I bought my E it had the tour package (less trunk). For a few years I would ride it without fairing and saddlebags in the summer and put them back on for winter and long trips. It takes me about one to two hours to convert over.
          Now I have a second XS1100 so I have a summer bike, the LG, and a winter/trip bike, the E.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
          X