What is this? (mysterious black box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this? (mysterious black box)

See the little box that is wrapped in shrink-wrap/tape in the middle of the picture? What is it?

Another unrelated question: is it okay to put a rubber o-ring on the middle and final drive fill plugs? The goal would be to make them easier to remove since the allen holes in mine have been PO'd. I would think the o-ring would also not reduce their sealing ability.

Thirdly, I am considering removing my faring. What additional hardware is it likely that I will need in order to mount lights, etc.?

Thanks Guys!

Kevin
    Last edited by CRXSi90; 01-24-2007, 11:30 PM.
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Check to see if the wires that it hooks to go to the tail lights/turn signals. This could be one of those boxes that make your turn signals into brake lights also. Niffty idea, it makes your backside more visable at night, but puts more of a load on your charging system.
    I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

WEll, sounds like you will need a healight bezzel and bucket. Looks like an 80G model(not sure) there are plenty of square lights on ebay. There are some little rings that go over the headlight bezzel on the forks but they aren't 100% necessary. Maby a new wiring harness. Looks like its been gotten in to and you never know what has been done to it. You might not want to do this, but cut it completley out and see what stops working.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Seems like I remember the wires interconnecting with the lighting system...I'll have to see what the brake lights are doing when I put the battery back in. Thanks for the thought!

Comment

Rather than o-rings for your filler plugs, take the crush washers off a couple of lightly used sparkplugs. Like sparkplugs, tighten the filler plugs a quarter of a turn past seated. Use them a few times, toss out the old washers, and throw on some fresh ones. If they get flattened down, you've been torquing them too much.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the tip on using spark plug washers. Sounds like a good plan.

Its an '81 which I should have mentioned.

For a headlight bucket, are the more-or-less generic, or should I seek an XS-specific one? ?

What is the bezel on the headlight? The chrome ring that surrounds the headlight?

What about turn signals? Will they transfer directly to a mounting bracket, or will I likely need new ones?

Thanks for offering your expertise, guys!

Comment

That bike looks like a Venturer, alot of people like those bikes just the way they are(a rare bike). If you are going to remove the fairing, you could use whatever head light you could find that will work with the mount ears under the fairing, it doesnt have to be model specific. I put a Special head light on the front of one of my Standards, with a set of those little after market signals - and it looks good.
              I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Don't use rubber o-rings as the oil inside can get very hot.
                Here is my own (handmade) solution:
                XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

That fairing is the original Pacifica that Yamaha put on the decked versions. http://www.xs11.com/pix/80g-3.jpg I have exactly the same bike, but mine has a Windjammer. I assume the original Pacifica got wrecked at some point. The windjammer IV that came with it was also in pretty bad shape, so I bought a better one.

Personally, i don't like the look of the square light Pacifica fairing, but, if I came across a good one, cheap, I would put it on just for the 'original' look.

I have the same bags and trunk, but my carrier has holes for the movable backrest, although the backrest is missing.

Oh, and mine is Ruby red... in bad need of a repaint!
                  Last edited by Crazcnuk; 01-25-2007, 05:23 AM.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Your fairing and bags are OEM Yamaha items used on there "touring" edition bikes. Check the picture link to see some orginial marketing pictures. The fairing was made by Vetter for Yamaha. Vetter (Windjammer) windshields are a direct bolt on. Look under the heard cover on the right side of the fairing, there still may be a "Made by Vetter" sticker there. Your OEM fairing is becoming a very rare item to find intact. The mounts can be difficult to find also, they are model specific. Do you have the lowers for the fairing? Another rare item. I still have my OEM Yamaha fairing hanging in the garage, I had a pristine Windjammer V that I painted to match and mounted 'cause I like the way they look better than the Yamah unit. Keeping the OEM around just in case. Check out the Vetter website for some history on his fairings. I do not know who made the bags, another item getting harder to find. I found having the bags real handy to have. I also have the trunk unit but only use it on road trips. In short, think twice about getting rid of the fairing, they will only get more valuable as the years go on.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Nylon washers work well with the middle and final drive fillerplugs and even the oil drain plug. Mine have not melted in the years I have used them.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

PS, I think that black box is the turn signal cancel relay.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Turn cancel relay

The turn signal cancelling relay is just to the right mounted to the cross member, about 1" Square and about 2.5" long.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90

For a headlight bucket, are the more-or-less generic, or should I seek an XS-specific one? ?

What is the bezel on the headlight? The chrome ring that surrounds the headlight?

What about turn signals? Will they transfer directly to a mounting bracket, or will I likely need new ones?

Nice bike, looks a lot like mine

If you remove the fairing, you will need to track down another headlight bucket and turn signals. Neither of these units can really be removed from the fairing for use without. Yes, the bezel is the chrome trim ring.
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

The others are correct.........you got an 81 Venturer1100, fairing is a Vetter contracted to Craig Vetter to be made to those specifications.........and not many of these models sold as most riders then who wanted a tour bike bought a Wing or a Beemer. The one I have was the only Venturer gotten in and sold at the dealership where I bought mine new. Kinda interesting as tried this one out first, then rode a 81Aspencade, then a new Beemer...........went back and rode the Venturer again............rest is history, and yes, they are few and far between. Last month a fairing off one of the these went for $355............I quit bidding at $250. Fortunately, several weeks ago I found the whole set-up some 200 miles from me, including the tank, a perfect like new seat, tool kit still in the storage box and never been opened, whole trunk assembly, fairing complete with all lights. Once I got it home and buffed it all out, it looked so nice am putting it all, including the tank on my Venturer as I'm writing this. Picked the whole mess up for $150.......and he just kept throwing other things in my car, airbox, coils, relays, etc.........but that turned out to be an unusual circumstance.................I also advise you hang on to the tour package.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X