No announcement yet.

xs1100 more problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear the oil change has helped the starting and shifting!

Yeah, I've been riding mine with a bent frame/steering neck which happened 20 years ago after a front ender with a cage, but I didn't know about it, neither did the Dealership that "fixed" it for me!? This reduced rake/trail makes it much more nimble in the twisties.

Last fall, I got the chance to ride a few other XS11's, and I was surprised to find out how heavy the steering felt compared to my machine!

Darn, forgot to review what model you have, but I think it's a special. If it was a standard, you could swap TT's both upper and lower from a Special onto a Standard to reduce the trail, but if it's a special, not much you can do aside from sliding the fork tubes up in the TT to lower the frame a bit which would reduce the trail and make it a little easier to steer!

Having wider spaced handlebars can also help, giving you more leverage. The OEM Buckhorns of the Special are not as well spaced apart, and the angles are tough on your wrists. I and several others have found the older model Honda GW bars work well, still provide a nice pullback, but are better angled for the wrist, and also wider which gives you better leverage!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

starting

The oil definately helped the starter clutch it was 27 degrees here last night . I went outside first thing this morning and it started it spun for a second then caught and started right up. I hope it will get better after the oil has been in awhile if not i'm gonna try seafoam in it.

Comment

If the oil was that bad, I would do the seafoam or Berryman's at the next oil change. I would also think about doing the change after about 1K miles.
        JMHO
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

oil

It was that bad...

Comment

oil changing

When I first got my ride (1980 SG) I was told that it sat for 20 years in a garage. After finding this out I new that i needed to change the oil every 100 miles until the oil started looking like oil at 100 miles. Then I extended the milage to 500 miles between oil changes. Long story short after 7 oil and filter changes the black gunk stopped showing up and the slippages went away. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
            Meteor3178
            1980 XS1100SG
            My mods:
            SS Brake Lines
            Takt fork brace
            Goldwing handlebars
            Progressive fork springs & shocks
            Blade fuses and fuseholder
            850 Final drive
            Vetter Trunk
            "the meteor lit up the highways"

Comment

oil

I really think this bike sat for awhile too its in exellent condition though. I rode it about 80 miles today i have to admit it was alot of fun especially after ridinghardtailed 650's for the last few years.

Comment

Just to put things in context, hell, if I could find an old XJ/XS11 for 400 or so measly dollars I'd be rapt, takes nothing to fix these things up really, just time and elbow grease, and it turns into an interesting challenge, ( but probably just a hassle if you're not mechanically minded) it's just something to do in this boring 'use and throw away' modern age, jeez, 11 - 12 sec 1/4's and addictive scary power, 400 bucks, the end results are more than worth it, but yeah, if money 's not a problem and time is, go for a modern 'turn key' package..

Comment

I'm pretty good working on older bikes i'm more worried about some of the lifting involved i have this bad hernia in my stomac and lifting just kills me . And i would prefer an older bike anyday . Can't stand the harley clones some of the sport bikes are ok but insurance will kill you.

Comment

IF you ever actually have to take that tranny apart heres what you do...

Read up on the repair, take the initial stuff apart, and then invite your mechanic over to the house for a beer. (Saturday morning, preferred)

After a bit the conversation will roam around to the XS, wander out to the garage and show him the tranny and the instructions you printed out from the internet, then try and STOP him from helping fix it!

:^)
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

lol

I need to get him over i heve a 70 model xs1 hes wanting to buy . At this point the bike is shifting fine i just hope it stays this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X