No announcement yet.

xs1100 more problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, your mech is mistaken about the durability of the trans gears. I did mine back in 93, and I never babyed it ...then. Mine was very bad, and after the fix I never had a problem with it. You don't need to remove very much material when doing the Dremel fix. All you are doing is cutting a slight 'dovetail' in the slots and dogs. What ever you do, don't part it out. It can be fixed, or sold to someone who will fix it.

Comment

Every time (seldom) I go to the Yamashop they tell me to get rid of the XS and get a new bike.
      I ask them if anything on the floor will last 30 years like the XS.
      That shuts them up.
      They don't work on it because the bike is older than the mechanics. They're not taught how to work on bikes anymore but how to plug in the machine that tells them what part to replace.
      Try to find a cashier that can cout change without having the register figure it out for them.
      Modern civilization is making us stupid and lazy.
      (like the internet )
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

mechanic

The mechanic i know is 64 years old been a yamaha guy his whole life he's the one got me into xs650's and i do love them there just not that good on the interstate . i do value what he says and he still tells me to shy away from the xs1100 i want to fix it and ride it but i don't want tp have to pull the motor and split the case not sure i'm up for that. not one shop i called here would work on the bike either . You guys all seem really loyal to a bike that has such a bad reputation for breaking down so i know the bike has to be decent once you get the bugs worked out. As for selling it whole or parting it out i gave $1200.00 for it which was too high since it does'nt start now. To get most of my money back the only thing i can do is part it out . The xj 1100 i told you about is very clean and has been at the shop for awhile 1st gear is out on it and he can't even sell it for $600.00 hell he told me to make an offer. I'd rather find an xs650 to swap it for.

Comment

XSscooters

Hmm seems to me that I know what I might consider . Does the Xj1100 run and START? But just has the bad 1st gear.
          I know you wont get all your money back but
          put your XS11 up for sale, parts or whole preferably whole but I
          do understand you need to recoup some of your losses ,run over to the shop offer 300.00 to the mechanics Bring the XJ11 home flip the computer on type in XS11.com go to tech tips if you have not already not done read and ask questions lean the bike over do quick tranny repair as many XS11ers have done with GREAT Success! ( You have a ton of help here) and go out and enjoy your day on your new bike
          I think the shop would probably want to take your offer or one close to it because its obvious they don't know HOW or Want to Fix the XJ, or work on anything thats 20 years old or they would have done it already and in also refrence I have heard members say that new gears for tranny are still available from yammy dealer and have already been grooved out so you don't need to use dremmel if not comfortable with it.
          Just something to think about your obviuosly stuck between a rock and hard place Something attracted you to the XS and XJ family stick with it you wont be sorry
          Best of luck
          Cheers!

Comment

good idea

I was thinking of doing that . I have'nt given up on the one i have yet. After sitting in the sun this morning it started i'm gonna change the oil in a little while maybe that will fix the starter clutch problem. I bought some Marvel Mystery oil too to put in it too keeping my fingers crossed on it.

Comment

xsscooters,

Something I just don't understand:

Why would your local Yamaha shop mechanic (who has been working on Yamahas there for 30 years, and back in the day he would fix 2-3 xs1100 trannys every month) tell you to "run from it as fast as i can" because it has a bad first gear, then offer to sell you an XJ1100 with a bad first gear?

Although I have not performed the dremmel fix yet, if I were in your position, I do the following:
              1. read up on the dremmel fix
              2. search the forum for GNEPIG's suggested tranny mods (or look for MAXIMAN's New gears for trans rebuild thread)
              3. offer $150 - $200 cash for the XJ100 at the dealership
              4. ask my local mechanic friend to order brand new undercut gears AT HIS COST
              5. use some cold beverages and food as a bribe to my local mechanic friend for supervision during MY tranny rebuild on the XS.

Note, I'd want to make the cash offer on the XJ BEFORE performing the tranny rebuild on the XS cause once the XS is finished, the asking price WILL increase on the XJ.

If you are not interested in the XJ, let me know the contact info and I will make the cash offer - I do get down to Joplin, MO frequently and will be willing to drive to Ft. Smith to pick up the bike.

Comment

dealer

Hes not the wanting to sell me the bike he just works there i called and offered them $350.00 for it he said he would tke no less than $400.00 for it i guess i'm gonna buy it its worth that for sure . If i decide not to keep it i'll let you know.

Comment

oil

Ijust changed the oil OMG i did'nt know oil could look so bad it was like black sludge i don't know how the bike even ran. When i bought the bike it was supposed to have just been tuned and oil changed. Maybe this will help the starter clutch.....

Comment

Yeah, last time I changed the oil I used 20w50 and when it turned cold it had the same starting problems you described. I thought it was a bad starter until I posted here. Use a lighter oil and you should be all set.
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I wish I was closer. I'd buy that XJ. Do that EASY tranny fix, help you with yours. And then rub it all in your dealers face the next week.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Starter in the Clutch's

Why I mentioned synthetic oil a few post back was that, the "slippery stuff" can affect clutches.

Thought crossed my mind........(happens.....really... )

If the oil feels sticky,
                        could be that theres more than MC oil in there

mro

Comment

oil

The oil that came out of it was really thick not sure what it was or why it was in it. So far it has started fine and its shifting alot better too . I found out one thing real fast this bike is'nt the best in corners but i love the smooth ride. i have been riding xs650 choppers for a few years now and this feels like a cadillac to them.

Comment

really thick

have you check the compression???

mro

Comment

no have'nt had alot of time i own a cabinet shop and i'm way behind maybe this weekend i'll get to check alot out on it.

Comment

With Mobil 1 V-Twin 10-40 in The King of Kong, the starter clutch slipped when trying to start on a 33 degree morning in Colorado in the summertime. Changed to Delvak 15-40 and it starts even in the high 20s. Oil matters on starter clutches. Work through these initial difficulties. It will be worth the trip. Add a fork brace and new tires and prepare to be amazed at both handling and ride.
                                1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X