heat painting inside new mac pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macs

I had bought a set of Macs 5 yrs ago and prepainted the inside of the headers with Hi-temp black paint, they turned blue after 10 miles on the road....after a year or so I found the Macs noisy at hiway speed and long runs so converted to HD pipes after that I found a set of stock pipes on ebay that are now on the bike...this spring those are coming off and the stainless set is going on that came with my parts bike.....looking at the stainless set, the headers are still the color of stainless steel and hadnt changed with heat. The special that they were on has 75000 kms on it and I'm not sure how long the stainless set was on the bike.
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

well i don't know why my pipes are not blue at all, and the engine was poorly tune for the 450 miles go figure.
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I have used the high temp paint method for thirty years on various bikes- so far has worked well as pipes at their worst turn a slightly golden hue. For restoring really blue headers to chrome luster there is nothing better than "Bluejob" chrome cleaner- that really works too! Thanks for your time- Great Site.

Comment

I put a non-blue set of Jardines on my E. I purposely have the air/fuel mixture set slightly rich (done with a colortune).
          I set it rich to have the bike run cooler in our 110 degree summer temps. This also has the negative effect of a noticeable loss of power over 5000 ft elevation (I live at 81 ft).
          The pipes have turned a slight gold color down to the first bend out of the engine (about a foot) and still are not blue after 4 years of continous use.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

my plugs look slightly redidsh,and pings under hard aceleration when the ambient temp is 85plus,

sounds like i got a lean condition.

and maybe mac's are notorious and jardines not insofar as singing the blues?
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Kerkers

I painted the inside of my 4 into 1 Kerkers and after about 500 miles they turned a gold and bluish color on the headers. I figured painting them on the inside would do more to prevent corrosion then the bluing problem. I actually favor the tint they are now, however I am somewhat partial to dark pipes on my midnight.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Re: heat painting inside new mac pipes

Originally posted by mason79
                gents,

okay i'm goin to put oo my new macs, they really don't seem as cheap as yawl make them out to be, whatever...

i was wondering if anyone has actually painted the insides with high temp ceramic paint, to prevent bluing.

if this step does not help, i'll not waste my time and paint, but if it works a little i will go for it, please help and thanks in advance.
                Did that with VHT paint when I put the new Kerker on back in 1980. Did NOTHING to stop the blueing. Now I take it as a personal challenge to heat those pipes as far down as I can running WFO as long as I can!!!!

Comment

I actually favor the tint they are now
                  Some people say that they like the gold colour when they see my pipes. I havn't yet messed with painting my pipes.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

borla makes stainless headers for my jeep had them and hated them. they cracked all the time so i got rid of them. anywho ss headers turn purple amongst other colors. they didnt have ceramic coating on them but it didnt take many miles b4 they were purple blue yellow and then finally an ugly brown like the rest of my exhaust. i have found that using a ss header the rate of expansion is different compared to the engin block. and since it is mounted in a rigid postion like on my jeep as it would be on a bike i think that they would be more prone to crack as compared to a steel header. my .02 i hated my borla 1,000,000 warenty i took 4 hrs every time i wanted to take it off and put the new one on. went through 8 headers in 3 years. cost me 55 bux in shipping to ship back each time and the darn things cost me 480 bux to start with. tack all the costs together a muffler shop would charge 55 an hr and flat rate says its an 8hr job that ive mastered down to 4hr thats

$400 x 7 = $2800 + 480 = $3280 + (55 *7 =)385 =3665 is what it would have cost me if i didnt do all the work. minus the labor the headers and shipping cost me $865 for a header that was junk. took the final replacment header they sent me and sold it for $420 shipped on ebay. took my loss and ran. just a little thought on ss headers. im looking to get a jardine setup soon hopefully sumones got a new one layin around.
                    XJ1100 Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by Jby1999
                      borla makes stainless headers for my jeep had them and hated them. they cracked all the time so i got rid of them. anywho ss headers turn purple amongst other colors. they didnt have ceramic coating on them but it didnt take many miles b4 they were purple blue yellow and then finally an ugly brown like the rest of my exhaust. i have found that using a ss header the rate of expansion is different compared to the engin block. and since it is mounted in a rigid postion like on my jeep as it would be on a bike i think that they would be more prone to crack as compared to a steel header. my .02 i hated my borla 1,000,000 warenty i took 4 hrs every time i wanted to take it off and put the new one on. went through 8 headers in 3 years. cost me 55 bux in shipping to ship back each time and the darn things cost me 480 bux to start with. tack all the costs together a muffler shop would charge 55 an hr and flat rate says its an 8hr job that ive mastered down to 4hr thats

$400 x 7 = $2800 + 480 = $3280 + (55 *7 =)385 =3665 is what it would have cost me if i didnt do all the work. minus the labor the headers and shipping cost me $865 for a header that was junk. took the final replacment header they sent me and sold it for $420 shipped on ebay. took my loss and ran. just a little thought on ss headers. im looking to get a jardine setup soon hopefully sumones got a new one layin around.
                      I second that sentiment... the Borla cat-back pipe I bought for my 'Burban was an ill fitting POS that was actually smaller in diameter than the OEM pipe. The resonant drone sound was the worst.

My '86 Concours had a stainless pipe from the factory, 42,000 miles, no issues.

Comment

was it that they were stainless or that they were borla?
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                          was it that they were stainless or that they were borla?
                          Prolly a poor engineering job from Borla....

OTOH, Stainless Steel is often very misunderstood by those outside the metalworking community. It is soft, poor machinability, poor tensile strength (compared with common carbon steel) and is lately sometimes chosen for the MANUFACTURERS convenience.... yup, plating and painting costs have risen so much with environmental regs., many manufactureres choose to eliminate finishing steps by using stainless.
                          Automotive exhausts are usually 400 series stainless (chosen for it's corrosion resistance, better strength and CHEAP cost) as far back as (including) the cat, because the OEM must warranty it due to Federal Emissions law.
                          The Borla is 300 series (more nickel, higher cost) and won't rust.... but isn't mechanically as strong as the OEM aluminized steel exhaust system.
                          Last edited by concours; 03-26-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X