Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat painting inside new mac pipes

gents,

okay i'm goin to put oo my new macs, they really don't seem as cheap as yawl make them out to be, whatever...

i was wondering if anyone has actually painted the insides with high temp ceramic paint, to prevent bluing.

if this step does not help, i'll not waste my time and paint, but if it works a little i will go for it, please help and thanks in advance.
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Hi,

I would also be interested to know if this works. I have done this to my new pipes but as the rest of the bike is in pieces I don't know yet if it is going to do anything?

What I did is, I masked up one end of each pipe and then poured in some 800°C paint, I rotated it several times and shook it around and then poured out the excess. It seems to have coated the insides very evenly but I'm not sure it it helps!

BTW, I only did the header pipes, I think it is sufficient.

You have to degrease very well to get the paint to stick, I poured in some degreasant first and let it dry well.

Shappers.
    '84 Sport

Comment

i was reading that the pipes turn colors because of heat beyond 900 degrees, i have old 1300 degree paint i need to spray or puddle, will let you know and thats for the pour and shake tip.
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The mac headers and muflers on ( The Black ) are black cremic coaded inside and out by hot jet . The muflers have to much back presser,

XSively
        Bruce
        Bruce Gerken
        '79 XS1100SF
        "The Black"
        '2009 BMW k1300GT'
        The Red Sled.
        St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I had my XS650 two into one pipes ceramic coated and they did both inside and out. I can put my bare hand on the outside at idle. Out toward the end, not at the head of course.
          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

1300 heat paint in no blue outside

Originally posted by Shappers
            Hi,

I would also be interested to know if this works. I have done this to my new pipes but as the rest of the bike is in pieces I don't know yet if it is going to do anything?

okay even though the bike runs like crap, help me on that guys see my other post...

i rode 30 miles and the pipes never turned color, so myth confirmed!

i'll give a longer term report next time...
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Question about Stainless?

Along the same lines of this thread,

I'm hoping to fashion some headers out of stainless in the distant future for another bike I need to work on, and am wondering if they "might" turn blue also from the heat, like chrome?

This precoating the inside with the high temp paint sounds like a good preventative measure, it probably allows the heat to travel down the header and dissapate thru the muffler, along with shielding the header pipe walls from the intense temps coming directly from the head??
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the road report mason79, at least your paint is now 'baked' on well.

This is from memory so don't quote me!

But, I believe that the temperature at which the pipes start to turn blue is about 20°C above the normal operating temperature of the engine (I'm sorry I don't know what that is in F).

So your pipes should only turn blue if your bike gets excessively hot or your carbs are set up too lean.

I just didn't want to risk it with my new (read expensive) set of 4-2 pipes. It doesn't take long to do, call it 'insurance'..!

Would be nice if someone here knew the hard facts.

Brgds,

Shappers.
                '84 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers
                  Thanks for the road report mason79, at least your paint is now 'baked' on well.

This is from memory so don't quote me!

But, I believe that the temperature at which the pipes start to turn blue is about 20°C above the normal operating temperature of the engine (I'm sorry I don't know what that is in F).

So your pipes should only turn blue if your bike gets excessively hot or your carbs are set up too lean.

I just didn't want to risk it with my new (read expensive) set of 4-2 pipes. It doesn't take long to do, call it 'insurance'..!

Would be nice if someone here knew the hard facts.

Brgds,
                  Shappers.

you are the guinie pig, my bike is too rich now, maybe i'm dilussional, about keeping it chrome, maybe there is no such animal,

i had bbk shorty headers on a mark VII five oh, once and they stayed chrome....
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Chrome will turn blue at 900F, typical exhaust temps at the exhaust port is 1250F hence to quote Iggy Pop, they'll all "Turn Blue"
                    Harley Davidson amoung other use double walled headers or chrome covers to heat shield the outer chrome and thus not "turn Blue"
                    Stainless steel will not turn blue to my knowledge.
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

okay i switch back to stock jetting 137.5 and 42.5 pilots and it runs like a bat outa hell, and the plugs look kinda warm still a litte reddish and tan not white so i think it's there.

this is about the pipes so with the extra 20 miles to a lovey slow redline more that 3 times, the pipes are starting to glow gold, not bad i like it, but will it get worse?

i have 44 miles on them and thats it..long term update to follow.
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

450 miles and still chrome

just wanted to let you know, i have some miles on the internally painted pipes with the engine in various states of tune,

right now the stock airbox is back in from the uni pods and i think i really like the muffled intake sound and a place for the vent tubing and the imaginary support for the carbs, and being able to wash the bike without bagging the pods, and no jetting changes live and learn.

i lost around 25% across the board, with the pods and mac 4 into 1's. with the plugs looking "good" i'm no good as a tuner.

with the airbox, i think i'm back to 95 percent plus, so it's here to stay.
                        so when they say the induction mods effect drivability more, i believe it.

okay the pipes have attained a golden hue, more pronouced closest to the head, and in some angles looks real chrome but golden nonetheless, so i don't know if a final verdict is appropriated but,

since theyare not blue, the way i have seen some pictures and

since they did not blue right away, like i hear some stories

i can say that painting the insides prior to installation, is a good way to preserve the "new look", it even looks like titanium pipes that has been exsposed.
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

TC: I too want to make a stock replacement set of SS headers. I will have them chromed and ceramic coated on the inside. That would prevent the chrome from building and any rust from forming.
                          Last edited by HobbyMan; 02-28-2007, 12:13 AM.
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Chrome...

I had a '79 standard with chrome headers, though the chrome wasn't new they never turned blue. They were, and still are chrome without the blue. I believe that if your pipes turn blue your bike is running much too lean and will probably destroy something else soon.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

stock pipes has a cosmetic external pipe, over the internal ,so they don't blue, i have a single tube header.
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400