• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill bit sizes

Any recomendations on what size of drill bits to use to
    drill out the mixture screws in the 80's carb? way down in
    no mans land in the tunnel.. slots are stripped out

try and find a 1/8", LEFT HAND drill bit. This will have the effect of backing out the screw, and you may be able to get it out WITHOUT killing the carb body.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I used a #60 bit in a pin vise when I did a set of 79 carbs last year. If you can find a bit a little smaller, that would be better.

Comment

Reserecting this thread,

Well I decided to try and and drill out the mixture screws, well
        I guess you can imagine what happened I messed up both#1 and #2 carb theres no hope of getting them out now

HELP ! does anyone have a #1 and #2 carb bodys for a 80 SG there willing to part with a couple of mixture screws for a nominal fee of course
        thanks in Advance!

Comment

You know, I had a mixture screw buggered up on my number 4 carb. so yesterday I tried drilling into the screw head so as I could put a couple pins in the head and use a screwdriver to turn out the screw...kind of like a type of tamper proof screw...it didn't work. I ended up butchering the tube that contains said screw. I used my dremel and a cut off wheel to cut straight down th middle of the tube until I cut a new slot in the screw. it took a couple tries and I sacrificed the front half of the tube but, I got it out. now, when I get my mixture dialed in correctly, I will put a dollop of wax or glyptal or something on my exposed screw to keep any external forces from acting upon it. I know, not an Ideal solution to this particular problem, but it worked.
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hmm that is a good idea
            Andreas has helped me out so with those 2 dead carb bodies I'm going to give that a whirl
            thanks for the idea

Ljay

Comment

You can also re-cast the missing portion with JB Weld. After it cures, you can tap threads in it

Comment

Ok drilled dremmeld screwed unscrewed these babys are in there and thats where there staying pulling the guts out, thanks everyone for ideas and suggestions Im waiting on Andreas parts and building new set of carbs.

Comment

Working...
                X