Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC's oil adapter removal?

Hi all,
    I'm in the process of splitting my cases to fix my starter clutch and replace a couple crank seals and have found that I need to remove my oil filter adapter because a bolt or two is under it. Anyone have any idea how to properly remove the adapter without damaging it?
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Remove the large threaded tube that holds it to the engine?

Comment

Getting Strapped for a solution!

Hey Snow,

Get a strap wrench, one of those rubber type, and use it to unscrew the main plate from the pipe! Depending on how well secured the center mounting pipe is, either the plate will unscrew off of the pipe, or it will unscrew the pipe and plate in one piece!?

That would actually be the worst scenario, cause it can be more difficult to remove the pipe from the plate without damaging the pipe! And securing the plate/pipe already assembled combo "may" not provide as good of a secure fitting when trying to put it back on, due to the pipe possibly NOT bottoming out in the filter bolt hole in the case?? However, using stud strength locktite should allow it to be resecured with confidence!

If the pipe stays in the housing, that's okay, it shouldn't get in your way to loosen the case bolts, etc.!

But, if you FUBAR the pipe section, I can get you another one for a nominal fee!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Jus use astrap wrench like he said. Mine broke loose leaving the threaded pipe in the block.

Of course mine has an "O"-ring groove cut in it so it broke easy at the plate face.

Comment

Still no joy - I think I may have to put a couple nuts on the pipe to spin it all off...this sucker isn't budging...maybe I should try some liquid canned air to freeze the goop...

Comment

I would try heating it before freezing.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

What would you use for heat? Some type of torch? This thing is really stuck on!

Comment

I think I'd be using a heat gun before I tried a torch. I think a torch would be too aggressive for this.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

We finally got a Harbor Freight in town, do you think this might work? I've been meaning to get a heat gun for another project anyway...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35776

Comment

For ten bucks, you can't go wrong.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Snow,

Dang, sorry you're having so much trouble getting that thing off! With the heat gun, I would recommend the lower setting. The melting point of T6061 aluminum is around 600C, which is around 1100 F! You don't want to get it too soft and have it distort or warp!

IF the smaller strap wrenches aren't doing it, you might have to try a larger chain pipe strap type wrench to get a better grip and provide more leverage!?

If all else fails, and you have to cut it off, , I'll be happy to send you another one at COST! Hope you're successful!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

How did you finally get the SOFA OFF?

Hey Snow,

I know you're struggling with your alt rotor, but you never posted about getting the SOFA plate off! What did you have to do to get it off? We know you did cause you were able to split your cases to fix your starter clutch!

BTW, what type/brand of sealant did you use to put it on with?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Oh, yeah, sorry about that! I finally went King Kong on it and use a pair of Craftsman vicegrips to spin the tube, which was stuck to the adapter plate - it all came off in one piece. I really do think I may have used loctite on the sucker as I was afraid it might come loose. After all I did, I think I managed to destroy both my plate (don't ask) and the tube.

I think I used Permatex copper or red - the stuff looked kinda orange.

Comment

Working...
                          X