Most sought after XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most sought after XS?

New member here, curious as to what the most sought after of the XS's is as far as year and model. Thanks.
    78 standard

81 midnight special

the one in your garage

From hanging around this site for a little while I would guess that the Midnight Special is the most sought after. However, I think we all have just as much fun on the ones we have in our garage (or yard).

Camron

Comment

"Riddle me this, Batman."

Welcome, Crazy Painter.
      Most sought after XS? Mine, of course,
      (that was easy... Gimme another one)
      I really don't think that anyone here actually "seeks" any specific model... but is just happy with finding one in good shape. I have four... and if another pops up somewhere fer cheep... doesn't matter which model... I'd just grab it.
      Not partial to Specials, as they have a smaller fuel tank. And I believe the "E" is a little bit quicker than the "F".
      I don't concern myself with the little details, but I know other's here will gladly throw in their one cent.(two cents would be putting too much importance on their opinions!)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Sorry, Crazy Painter...
        Just noticed that you have three XS's.
        (Most new members just have one)
        You been lurking here before signing up, perchance?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I would very much like to throw a Midnight Special into my pile also. I like both the Standards and the Specials, but dont care much for the dressers[full faired models], too much like ridin in a car. I hate cars.
          How bout some pictures of your bikes? We like pictures.
          Welcome to the site.
          I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

most sought after.......MNS?

originally posted by Prom
            I really don't think that anyone here actually "seeks" any specific model... but is just happy with finding one in good shape. I have four... and if another pops up somewhere fer cheep... doesn't matter which model... I'd just grab it.
            Yup, been doing that........
            Been lucky, most rare seems to be the MNS (have an 80LG)

Have a Hot Rod XS for the occasional run thru the canyon and then have my regular ride the 80G. Also have a 81 special and couple 79 standards that have "issues"

Collecting parts for MNS has been taking a little time, but is almost there.

mro

Comment

The only reason I bought my 2nd XS was because it was a Midnight Special.
              If it had been a Standard I might have considered it but I'm not particularly fond of Specials (that's why I changed the handlebars).
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

That's a hard question to answer. Each model has it's own want-a-bilities. I like the styling and lower stance of my SF.
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Specials

I have 2 Specials and 1 MNS. I don't go looking for them, they seem to find me! The MNS was given to me when the owner bought a new Harley.
                  Walt
                  80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                  79 XS11s
                  03 Valkyrie
                  80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                  78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                  81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

New member pics

Hi all

I never really introduced myself properly, this thread made me think about it,

And sorry I ain't no PC wizard so pics of my bike will have to be looked at on the UK site Click here

Lamric posted them up for me.

I'm also building a bitsa for winter riding with whatever bits I've got lurking in the garage.

Tom
                    Tom
                    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I agree on the "get what you can" idea. Its amazing how many of these beasts seem to hide on the side of a garage or out in the back yard under a tarp when they are found. I scored a "81 and a disassembled "79 special from a guy that hit me up at toy run one year. The '79 was in pretty sad shape so I used it as a "doner". The '81 was intact and I had hoped to turn it into a street killer. Time and money became an issue so I let John "steal" it from me. It is now alive and well.

Personally, my ambition is to have matching bikes for my 80g hardbagger. That would include a 80g standard (no fairing, bags, ect), a 80 special and an '80MNS. Santa, are you listening?
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Personally, I'm partial to the standards, but I wouldn't turn down a special. I'd put flatter handlebars on it, though.
                        1979 XS11F Hazuki ('cause she's always trying to make me her slave.)

Comment

Standards rule the interstate and long hauls. Period. Puney tanks don't cut it except for looks.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

fill'er up!

Originally posted by skids
                            Standards rule the interstate and long hauls. Period. Puney tanks don't cut it except for looks.
                            i think to this day the standard still has one of the largest tanks made...
                            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

suprised no one's mentioned the Venturer yet. that or the Martini...
                              81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
                              sticky side down!

Comment

Working...
                              X