Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: waiting on quote

Originally posted by xschop
    will get a quote from the company that can make them in plural....
    I am doing a chain drive and want poly so there is very little frame flex, but still some vibe removal....chop
    Geez Chop are you ever gona STOP?
    wow...I'm a poet and didn't even know it!

You just got that 750 drive installed and now you're gonna toss it for a chain? What gives?

Comment

Max, he wants a wide back tyre.

Comment

Oops...forgot about that. Now I remember!

Comment

Frame up

The wide tire is going on a ground-up frame redo. I am not touching the Blue-Streak. I got my wheel in wed. but the swingarm is stuck in UPS traffic....the urethane mounts can be made from 28mm o.d. rod. I sent email with that U.K. drawing to ask for a quote on 10 sets (6ea kit).....was just thinking ahead on this chain drive project.....how's your FD working out Cody?
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey all........don't wanna be negative here, but a fracture of a case ear from vibration without have something for absorbtion would not put a smile on your face......Think about it before trying to out- think the ole' Yammy engineers.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Re: Frame up

Originally posted by xschop
              The wide tire is going on a ground-up frame redo. I am not touching the Blue-Streak. I got my wheel in wed. but the swingarm is stuck in UPS traffic....the urethane mounts can be made from 28mm o.d. rod. I sent email with that U.K. drawing to ask for a quote on 10 sets (6ea kit).....was just thinking ahead on this chain drive project.....how's your FD working out Cody?
              Fine last time I rode it. Right now it's in 50 pieces on a shop floor. Transmission rebuild.

Comment

trans

did you get a spare 1st gear, 2nd?
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers
                  Just something to bear in mind. .
                  The original rubber mounts have metal tubes bonded in them and large metal washers on the outer edges to contain the engine's sideways motion and to allow you to tighten the engine mounting bolts up hard. If you make new mounts from polyurethane you will need to spin up some tubes for the insides and get some large washers for the outer edges. For this reason I gave up on making some out of polyurethane and went instead with the solid alloy mounts as accurately drawn by MikeF. I came to this decision after 50gary reported back 'no vibes at all'. I also considered making them out of nylon instead, this would be a 'halfway' option.

Brgds, Shappers.
                  You should be able to use the parts off your old mounts, if the compnay that makes the polyurethane ones doesn't already put them in.

On my Monte I have all Poly-graphite (graphite impregnated polyurethane) mounts, engine, tranny, body, supsension and steering, and love them. More solid than stock, but not harsh like solid metal mounts. Some of the mounting parts came with washers and inserts, where needed and some called for using them off the old parts.

I would be intersted in a set, depending on cost and what they actually end up making.

You will notice the increase in vibration on long hauls....
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

mounts

Hey crazy, I will make them from 28mm tubing if they turn out to expensive. I will use them on the chain setup,because I read somewhere that the frame flex could cause the chain to come of a sprocket P.s. I sent those crash guards monday USPS....snail mail
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Awesome, will need those in the spring.

If you get enough frame flex to dislodge the chain, you have far worse problems!

Personally, I don't know why anyone, in thier right mind, would want to go back to chain drive. They are noisy, dirty, require a ton of maintenance and have no redeeming qualities, to me.

I LOVE shaft drive. I haven't had a chain drive bike in over 30yrs. I traded with my brother for one leg of a trek across Washington state, one vacation. He took my shadow 1100 and I took his KZ750. I couldnt' believe how noisy chains were!

The reason for stiffer mounts is simply to keep the engine more solidly in the frame, but without transferring ALL the engine vibration to the rest of the bike.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I bought my XS11 because of the shaft drive but "why would anyone in their right mind want one"? I'm in my right mind (but also in my left) and I like chain drive too.
                        Chains are far more efficent for power transfer, they are very light weight and easy to use as a tuning divice. I.E. you can change final drive ratios in minutes, and very cheaply at that!
                        In general all other things being equal a chain drive bike will handle better because of less torque steer and less unsprung weight. A good X-ring chain is not that noisey, with a full face helmet I can't even hear my chain on the other bike. Beside the XS11 I also have a BMW, and my custom XS650, love them all for different reasons.
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Well, there is the problem! Full-face helmet?!?! Bleh, may as well take the car!

I'm not that picky that I want to 'tune' via the final drive on a second's notice. If I was in a position to be racing, it certainly wouldn't be one of these ol gals.

My XSive is a decker, and I am still not sure whether I am going to like the windjammer. blocks too much of the wind!

'05 ST1300

Comment

I like my shafty!
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

I like my shafty!
                              Yeah, me too. This swing arm setup from Kawasaki does'nt look like it would be too hard to mimic. Would even be easier to mimic if you build it with dual shocks.

Tetra-Lever Shaft Drive
                              - Unique four-link design significantly reduces driveline lash during sport riding and provides smooth acceleration when exploiting the engine’s incredible power output
                              - Virtually maintenance free, the Tetra Lever system dramatically reduces routine maintenance requirements
                              I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Working...
                              X