Polyurethane mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyurethane mounts

Who would be interested in a set (6) xs1100 mounts from polyurethane. If I get enough interest I will place an order for the exact tolerances instead of cutting down and drilling 28mm poly rods.....chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

would they buzz the bike, what are the benefits?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

mounts

Since I now have 3 xs's (what is the plural of xs anyway?), how much per set?
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

waiting on quote

will get a quote from the company that can make them in plural....
        I am doing a chain drive and want poly so there is very little frame flex, but still some vibe removal....chop
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Solid engine mounts versus rubber mounts.. mmm... for me anyway, even tho I ride twisty roads, out of a choice of stiffer handling or a smoother ride, I'd still prefer the smoother all round ride. What I heard - if you use rubber mounted handlebars to compensate for solid mounts, the handling usually feels 'mushy'

Comment

I would be interested in 2 sets. I have considered doing this for a while.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have aluminum engine mounts and solid mounted bars (homemade clubmans fairly short) and rode it tonight didn't even think about the mounts until I read this thread. I can't tell the difference in vibration?
              Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Hey Gary,

That's what I was wondering? My engine sorta rocks back and forth a little during hard accel/decels, so I figure my mounts are getting worn. Was thinking of putting solid ones in myself. Was wondering about machining out of billet aluminum to fit around the steel sleeves?

But I'm already way behind in other projects, so that may have to wait awhile!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
                  Solid engine mounts versus rubber mounts.. mmm... for me anyway, even tho I ride twisty roads, out of a choice of stiffer handling or a smoother ride, I'd still prefer the smoother all round ride. What I heard - if you use rubber mounted handlebars to compensate for solid mounts, the handling usually feels 'mushy'
                  That's why I've liked the thought of polyurethane bushings. Nearly impurvious to weather and oils, more solid than rubber yet still has a bit of give to it for vibration dampening. Lots of pretty colors too (I'll take black).
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

TC, maybe I'm brain dead (insert joke here) but I can't tell the difference in the vibration. I figure it's a four not a single or twin it's not too shakey to begin with. My brother is a pattern maker and he made mine, govt. job they call it? They fit perfectly, simple machine work really I got the drawing from the UK site from a rider named "Alan" I believe? Mine were worn quite a bit so what did I have to lose? Having said all that the Polyurathane or Delrin bushings would also work fine, flip a coin?
                    Cheers, 50gary
                    Last edited by 50gary; 11-23-2006, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I would like a set
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

All the dimensions if you need them are mentioned in the previous thread here

Keep revving
                        Mike Farnworth
                        XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

In case anyone wants some used stock ones. I have at least 5 complete sets. Plenty of life left in them. andreas

Comment

Just something to bear in mind. .
                            The original rubber mounts have metal tubes bonded in them and large metal washers on the outer edges to contain the engine's sideways motion and to allow you to tighten the engine mounting bolts up hard. If you make new mounts from polyurethane you will need to spin up some tubes for the insides and get some large washers for the outer edges. For this reason I gave up on making some out of polyurethane and went instead with the solid alloy mounts as accurately drawn by MikeF. I came to this decision after 50gary reported back 'no vibes at all'. I also considered making them out of nylon instead, this would be a 'halfway' option.

Brgds, Shappers.
                            '84 Sport

Comment

Mike F. I'm sorry I made a mistake on the credit for your fine drawing. OPPS! ...and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
                              Cheeers, 50gary

Comment

Working...
                              X