No announcement yet.

I need an XS expert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an air compressor and a blow gun, you can take the old calipers and a rubber fitting and blow the pistons out. Put a rag in front of the piston so it does not shoot you. Start with low pressure and gradually raise it. Then after it moves out a little, you can work it back in. Then use the air again. Eventually, it will slide right out with a little air pressure. I had a bad wobble too and when I changed my fork seals the wobble went away. I assume it was because of an improperly torqued front axle. also, make sure your TT clamps are tight. Ohh yeah, Say no to drugs, I mean mechanic. DIY
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

If one or both of your front brakes are sticking, that will cause your front end to wobble also. Try it again after you're finished with the brakes. A fork brace is also a good idea. And you will like how a set of Progressive fork springs work on your bike also.
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

(Space reserved for future comment)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

hey, thats cheating
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Ditch the mechanic!
            He would probbably just get you killed anyway.
            Now... calipers and stuff like that you can get from ebay.
            I would recommend you change your wheel bearings. You might do the steering ones while you are at it. And swingarm.
            Paint... try polishing it. But I cannot remember a yamaha being that color. Just spray it black
            And it might be a good idea to get a service manual for it.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

About the paint: A shiny well polished XS is nice, but there is something to be said about an XS that looks like it's been ridden.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I have to check out the pistons on mine too, on the left side fork I cant get the inside caliper piston to contact the rotor.
                Last edited by walter1970; 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Missing Persons Report!

Hey folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread for a reason other than what it was started for.

As many of us have noted and stated, there has been a very large vacuum(which sucks) created over the last month with the intentional absense of Prometheus, and possibly also GNEPIG!

Hopefully, most of you all know that these gents are True Xperienced Professional Motorcycle Mechanics. They have many years of Xperience, knowledge, and practice working on a variety of machines, including our beloved XS11's.

I know that many of us on this forum are died in the wool AMERICANS, and we strive to live by the rugged individualist ideals that helped found this great country. And so also as bikers, we shun the practice of taking our machines to a dealership for service or repairs, but Xhault the practice of working on them ourselves. As has been stated, many of them won't work on our machines anyways due to their age, difficulty in acquisition of parts, lack of Xperience with the intracasies of our machines, etc.. And so several folks have commented about how they have gotten their machines back and they performed worse than when they were taken to the shop, or that the 'tech' will not perform the work with the proper care Xpected from them, forgetting to fill oil chambers, tightening bolts, etc.!

Where I'm going with this diatribe is that "WE" have inadvertantly or unwittingly slighted those great members of wisdom and Xperience with our comments about NOT letting a mechanic in a BIG SHOP work on someones bike, with the aforementioned claims of possible calamitous results!

Prom may get angry at me for posting this, but it needed to be said. He pm'd me with his explanation of his disdain at the NEGATIVE comments that were directed towards ALL Pro Mechanics. I replied that IMHO we were slamming mostly the young inexperienced mechanics as well as the dealerships that did not value the patronage of XS11 owners. But we did NOT intend any malice towards the SAGEFUL member/mechanics that are a valued asset to this site and it's members!!

SO....I'll be the first to state that I apologize for any mistaken remarks regarding skill, knowledge, and care that MOST TRUE Professional MC mechanics have and use in the performance of their chosen career. It is hoped that Prom and GNEPIG will realize that we hold them on Elite Pedestals above and beyond the 'common mc tech', and that they will once again grace us with their presence, knowledge, wit and wisdom!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

As a former pro motorcycle mechanic (of about 17 years,) I can see how dealership service departments today get a bad rep. Many of these shops only hire inexperienced parts changers that can't diagnose a problem more serious than a flat tire.

The worst of these shops in my area is Beaverton Honda, Yamaha and now Suzuki. But there are other dealerships in the area that are better (in varying degrees.)

I've talked to Prom enough to know he knows his stuff and in his shoes I would get tired of the remarks too. However I'm distant enough to see both sides of the issue.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Well put, TC. I certainly did notice the vacuum you mentioned, but did not put 2 and 2 together to realize that some of the negative comments were being taken personally. I have been shot down at all of the local Yamaha dealerships for things as simple as changing a tire, but we have a Ducati dealer and a shop which specializes in vintage bikes here in Richmond, so I have 2 options for anything I am hesitant to tackle myself. Both of these shops test ride the bikes after working on them and have good reputations.
                      Maybe if the negative comments are reduced the two fine gentlemen who have been on the cutting edge of the Forum will see fit to return. I sure hope so.
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Here Here T.C.

I will stand behind you and apolgize for the mis-guided remarks made by our menbers.
                        In the few short months that I have been a member with this site I have felt confident enough to do a complete rebuild on my bike based on the knowledge that I have attained here. To lose any of the "technical Guru's" that frequent this site for any reason would be a shame.
                        CUDO's to all of you and thank you for the knowledge you have empowered on me.

Ed
                        Last edited by EZMoney; 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM.
                        Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                        XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Being in the service industry I can understand the Pro’s position. A form like this is a place where folks seek knowledge and vent their frustrations at situations. But just like the evening news you have a tendency to get just the bad stuff. I do all my own bike work because it is my hobby, would not think of taking something to a dealer but not because I feel they are incompetent but because I enjoy the challenge of doing it myself. That being said I would take my bike to the dealers these guys work at in a heartbeat if they were close enough and bet that every member or lurker here would do the same. The professionals here are my only source of information on things not covered in the manuals and they have given us advice you could not pay enough for even if you could find it. Personally I have noticed PROM’s and GNEPIG’s absence. I look forward to their responses both for the technical content and the LARGE entertainment value. These men are good at their craft and make in fun to learn from them. And any one who would post a picture of himself riding a Vespa in a Santa suit has to have a great sense of humor (thought maybe a little warped). I propose a band on all dealer horror stories for a year to be enforced by the administrators.

Dave
                          wingnut
                          81 SH (Daily Ride)
                          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I let the shop work on my bike all the time. They specialize in older bikes (There are several places locally that will work on older bikes. Like anything else, some are worth going to, and some are not).

While some things I do on my own, I would rather spend my pare time riding. And freely admit they do a better job than I do. Before, when I had more time and less money, I did more of my own work, but am not shy about sending the xs11s into the shop for things I don't want to do on my own.

Heck, the H is there right now for fork seals and oil.
                            I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Being a tinkerer and not a mechanic, I rely VERY MUCH on the information on this site!!!!!!! My mechanical knowledge is limited to some automotive, (on a great old 1964 Dodge A-100 Utility truck...that's right...be jealous!) some small engine stuff, and being able to disassemble and reassemble mountain bikes (more similarities than you might think).

When I first got my XJ it was a basket case and I did not even know about this forum. I took it to a local dealer for new rubber, brake work, and to sort out the rat's nest that was the electrical wiring. I spent more than I paid for the bike....BUT... I also found a mechanic in the shop who told me, "ahh, THIS is a motorcycle, I love working on these old babies much more than the new stuff." He did fine work and I was happy to hand over the $$ because of it. I have also taken my bike to another local (45-miles away )guy whose shop looks like a junk yard ..BUT.. he also loves, and knows, the old classics. Again though $$$$!

BUT...
                              Now that I am more familiar with this forum I am trying more things, replaced fuse box, redid much electrical, rebuilt master cylinder, replaced fork seals, steering head bearings, and the normal maintenance stuff as well. I am going to tackle replacing the valve cover gasket, (and whatever you guys tell me I need to check while it is off) and plenty of other stuff.

THE POINT???
                              I need you guys. I have no bias against shop or dealer mechanics. It is just that they aren't teaching "how to work on the classics" to the newer guys, and the results of that are sometimes "bad work and bad press."

While I don't know if limiting negative comments about shop experiences is a viable solution, I do feel that complaints should be SPECIFIC, and not generalized to all shop or dealer mechanics.

This forum is not only a source of valuable information to me, it is a source of entertainment and a community. I have looked at other forums where members bash each other intentionally; I have never seen that here. Sure fun is poked at those who have a Harley in the stable, or those whose word choice or spelling some times inadvertently changes what they meant to say, BUT it is all in fun. The thing I get most from this place is a feeling of mutual respect and a willingness and desire to help one another.

I am still fairly new to this forum and to my XJ, so if the GURUs drop off I will be screwed, broke, and have MUCH less joy in my life.
                              (Plus, T.C. your diatribe can't hold a candle to one of Prom's )
                              Last edited by jimboreeno; 01-29-2007, 08:36 AM.
                              JimBoReeno
                              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                              2000 Indian Chief
                              Millennium Edition

Comment

I had noticed that there has been a distinct absense of posts from traditional sources of input. I especially appreciate (and now miss) the witty remarks and superb pun-manship of Pro. If I've offended anyone on this forum in any way, I apologize.

But if we lose people like Pro and GNEPIG, we all lose out on a valuable wealth of knowledge. C'mon back guys.... please?
                                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X