I need an XS expert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need an XS expert!

I have several issues with my '79 XS Eleven. I could use some input.

1. The bike has a Yamaha faring, hard bags, and trunk which I assume were stock when the bike was first sold. Problem is, on slow turns the front end wobbles like crazy. Is is just because of the weight of the faring? I've had the fork oil and seals replaced. The mechanic couldn't explain the instability of the bike.
    Any ideas?

2. About a year ago I had to replace the front brake calipers. I couldn't find ANY new ones and my local dealer won't touch a bike this old. I ended up with two left side calipers off of ebay so one is on upside down, causing stress on the right side brake line. The pistons in the old caliper were too pitted for clean-up or machining.

Is there a supplier anywhere in the U.S. that has new or remanufactured calipers for a '79?

3. I want to paint the tank, faring, bags, and trunk but can't seem to match the original color. It is faded after all these years. Does anyone know the original color code? The tank is a metalic blue-green. The faring and bags are just weathered greenish.

Thanks for any help.
    If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

I've had the fork oil and seals replaced

Any time the front end is off the ground, the steering bearings should be checked. I mean something as simple as grabbing the forks and shaking them to see if they're loose, or turning the bars and feeling if the bearings are 'notched'. That's one solution.
    Are the tires cupped? Running your palm over the tread... should be relatively smooth, no noticeable ridges from tread cleat to tread cleat.
    The pistons in the old caliper were too pitted for clean-up or machining.
    Caliper pistons just need to be smooth, not perfect. Unless they're badly gouged some how, should be possable to lightly sand the rough spots so they slide nicely.
    Take and use the pistons from the new cylinders in the old calipers.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

My mechanic checked the bearings when he replaced the seals. The tires only have a couple hundred miles on them and air pressure has been checked regularly.

As for the caliper pistons, the old ones were froze up so bad no amount of hammering could free them. (footnote: they froze up on a gravel driveway. Imagine my surprise when the bike when "plop". lol)

Thanks for the tips though.
      If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Comment

Sounds like side flex. Maybe a fork brace would help?

There is a pair of calipers on E-bah right now for $60.
        You probably won't find any new ones out there.

You will likely need to have the paint matched. Lots of paint houses can do this.

Ditch the mechanic: DIY.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

Deano62,

New caliper pistons are available from Mike's XS

Comment

wobble

double check your wheel bearings, could be fried...chop
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Mikes XS caliper piston # 29-0516 will fit XS11 standard '79 front and rear. $24.00 each

Comment

After my 4000 mile road trip to Tahoe Zilla developed a little wobble too. When I got it back in the shop I foudn the steering head bearings needed to be tightened. Once I did that it went away.

Comment

I know this sounds too simple but make sure your front axle bolt is tight. Even a quarter turn loose will create a wobble. Test by backing up and turning, if there is caliper drag check the bolt.
                  I lived with this on my XJ after a shop put on new tires. I thought I had a bad tire till I checked the bolt.
                  JimBoReeno
                  My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                  '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                  '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                  2000 Indian Chief
                  Millennium Edition

Comment

calipers

I just ordered rebuild kits and was quoted 238.00 dollars for new calipers (I think from Parts Unlimited) so new calipers are out there but damn expensive. I have seen several used calipers on Ebay as well.
                    MRR
                    Two 79 XS1100SF
                    87 Suzuki GSX-R1100
                    84 Honda Sabre V65 1100S
                    86 Honda Shadow VT500C (wife rides this one)

Comment

Deano, I just bought a right caliper from eBay which i may not need, if my repair onthe old one works. Ping me a PM if you are interested. I'll meet you halfway...
                      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hmmm.. I've never seen a break caliper piston so froze up that a big "C" clamp and brake presure working it back and forth wouldn't work out. I have been shot in the chest with a piston and brake fluid when it did come out though! lol.
                        My front brake also locked up in a gravel drive and went "Plop". It's a sickening sound if I do say so!

PM Andreaswise... I'm sure he's probably got SEVERAL.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

calipers

maybe too late to help but i learned a good trick for frozen calipers. use a too big nut as a spacer, use the banjo bolt and washers to plug the fluid port with the too big nut where the banjo fitting was, then open the bleeder a little and put a grease gun right on the bleeder and it should pump that piston right out.I used that trick on a caliper that was locked hard and all else failed till a friend suggested this to me.
                          79SF
                          XJ11
                          78E

Comment

Fairing "n" stuff should not cause a wobble. Since the fork tubes were off for the seal job, check All the bolts nuts, ect. Make sure your forks are "aligned". As you might tell, no one here has much nice to say about taking an old XS to a shop. There are a few "independant" shops that specialize in old iron and can do a good job. Most of the "big" shops can't and/or won't work on them, and if they do, things come back worse. Can't blame em though, most of techs are dialed in on the late model stuff, most of the techs work on flat rate and don't see much money in working on something they are not familiar with.

My last wobble session showed up chasing Hippie Dave, damn those OEM shocks.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Change the fork oil. If it smells bad, has water in it, or is dark colored. Take the forks apart and clean them before refilling. This also would be a good idea to install new for seals.

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X