Oil Leak at Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak at Cam Chain Tensioner

I have oil dripping off the end of the cam chain tensioner assembly on the front of the engine. I am not sure if it is leaking around the plug at the end or the adjustment bolt.

If I set the crankshaft to the appropriate position for adjusting the cam chain tension, can I remove this assembly to replace the "O" ring on the bolt and possibly silcone around the plug?

Will it be straight forward to reinstall this assembly?

Thanks
    John in El Paso
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G
    2002 Honda Goldwing
    1977 Yamaha TY250
    1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Leaking tensioner? Geez, John, join the club!

Seriously, though, you can remove the tensioner lock bolt, just DON'T turn the engine with the bolt removed. What you may want to do is remove the whole tensioner, it's easier to work on it on the bench.

Again, don't turn the engine with the tensioner removed.

Comment

This topic comes-up quite often. There are easy fixes.
      Here is a link to a thread that took place a while ago.

There are several guys that added their .02. Collectively it covers all the bases.
      Good luck
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...leak+tensioner
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

After a few years of doing the " tensioner adjuster leak fix " Mine still leaks a drop every so often. I've found that after doing the fix, a rag does alot of good at keeping the pesky oil drip monkey from appearing...
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

You can get all of the seals from Yamaha or your favorite online store. My plug and gasket were leaking. I just pulled off the tensioner and put in the new gasket with a high temp sealant. I had to pullout the old(worn) plug and put in one with the same sealant. No more oil leaks 5k later
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

On Line Store?

Thanks HobbyMan,
            I don't have a favorite online store. Can you recommend one?

I pulled the tensioner Saturday, cleaned it up, and reinstalled it with high temp sealant for the gasket and around the old plug. I used 2 "O" rings around the locking screw.

So far so good. I rode about 35 miles yesterday, and no puddles on the ground so far.

However, i think I will order the gasket, plug, and proper "O" ring.

Thanks,
            John in El Paso
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G
            2002 Honda Goldwing
            1977 Yamaha TY250
            1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Comment

yeah, mine leaked too, i follow some advise i got from here, i sprayed brake cleaner on the end and smeared neatly high temp black silicone and not only did it looked good enuff to go ,it stoped the leak completely and no more oil spray in front of the engine!
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

here is the best site that I have been referred too. Bike Bandit
                They have everything that you can get from the dealer and sometimes a LOT cheaper, at least where I live. I use them all of the time. For discontinued parts, I go to mike's xs which specializes in 650's Many parts are interchangable between the two, just cross refrence part numbers. And the rest you get on ebay. With a non leaking cam chain tensioner, it is sure easier to keep the engine clean. No more oil residue to collect dirt.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Forgot to mention that the best way to do the whole process is to follow the instructions for adjusting the cam chain tensioner, but remove the assembly instead of just adjusting it. That way you fix the leak and tension it at the same time. Thus preventing accidental head damage.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

If you are going to remove it, you may as well check the amount of adjustment that is remaining.

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                    Forgot to mention that the best way to do the whole process is to follow the instructions for adjusting the cam chain tensioner, but remove the assembly instead of just adjusting it. That way you fix the leak and tension it at the same time. Thus preventing accidental head damage.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Whenever I do an adjustment I always remove the tensioner after I get the crank into position. It is only two bolts and a new gasket is easy to make from bulk gasket material. By doing this you can inspect the part and when you reinstall it you can hear the audible click when you release the plunger. The last time I changed the button I spread a very little bit of black RTV into the recess and then pushed the button in. Havent had any drips from there lately.
                      Mike Giroir
                      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I hate oil leaks. I hate them so bad I finally did something about it. I cleaned and scraped all the oil/gunk off the oil filter housing, front of the bike, etc. Ended up installing a new valve cover gasket, new rubber cam-end plugs, new oil cover gasket, and I made my own gasket for the cam tensioner.

However, I couldn't get the cam tensioner plug to stop leaking. After several tries with permatex, etc., I gave up. I removed the plug, turned it around backwards, used some permatex, and forced the plug back into the hole by tapping with a rubber mallet.

Hasn't leaked a drop, since.

Ben
                        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                        1982 XS650
                        1980 XS1100g
                        1979 XS1100sf
                        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

What purpose does that stinking plug serve anyhow besides get SWMBO upset about the laundry?
                          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

The tensioner needed to drilled through for the bolt to have some place to sit, and the plug is to cap the end and prevent (ha) the oil from leaking out.

Comment

I got fed up with mine and just got some new plugs. Eventually the old ones just started falling out. Just tap the new ones in with some permeatex or similar compound and no leaks since. (9000+ miles on my 80G) no leaks except the valve cover gasket. Which will be replaced soon.
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X