No announcement yet.

Final Drive Transplant _ Kudos 2 Chop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm taking off another final drive and it's not budging. How much banging, and where, to free it up? Any suggestions?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

• mine have all fallen right off.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Cody, Thanks for the bushing; it fit like a charm. I completed the XS750 FD mod last Sunday (03/25/07).

Pulling the drive shaft was easy, ExcessiveBiker loaned me a puller tool (he made) and out it came. However, reinstalling the drive shaft was another story. I had serious issues with the u-joint. I had to remove the boot and align the u-joint (with my fingers) so my brother could insert the drive shaft into the u-joint splines.

Now the GOOD NEWS...this is a COOL mod.

In 5th gear, the bike turns 60mph @ 3600 rpms. (Before the mod 60@4100 rpms.) It seems to have a more relaxed ride. I'm looking forward to next months TeXSive rally (April 27 & 28) in Jacksonville, TX., so we can share stories.

I really have a "modern bike"; a touring final drive, a General Motors ignition system, and a MegaSquirt fuel injection system. MAXIMAN, thanks for posting this wonderful mod. Stan H.
        '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
        Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
        '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
        Stan Hutchison

Comment

• Cody, do you still have the bronze spacers available?
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

• Cody are you out there?
            Sid

Originally posted by laxdad
            Cody, do you still have the bronze spacers available?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• He doesn't seem to want to play with us much anymore. You will have to e mail him to reach him.

Comment

• I tried that before. It was full-up. I suppose I'll do the copper pipe thing.

Originally posted by John
                He doesn't seem to want to play with us much anymore. You will have to e mail him to reach him.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Skids

My mail box is now empty.

Comment

• Hmmm skids...your one to be talking bro. Your mailbox is full too!

Comment

• So do you indeed have the spacers? Just oped my 750FD from the box. I am collecting parts for my cruiser I am planning to build after college.
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Indeed. But only three left. I don't plan on getting anymore since they are easily obtainable from any oilfield supply...or Fairbanks Morse dealer. Also some one said they got a suitable bronze bushing from ACE hardware.

Comment

• SHould just draw us up a little schematic of the spacer and post it in the tech section so that anyone can go locally and find one!

Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

• We don't need no stinkin' schematic It's just 3/4 inch ID and 5/8 inch long. 1/8 inch or so thickness would be sufficient. I used a copper fitting as per the original design.

Comment

• The fear with a copper is it might...I re-iterate might wear rapidly. However Chop assures me he's had no visible wear with his and he has 2 or 3000 miles now. It will be interesting to see what it looks like after 10,000 miles

My bronze bushing may be a bit XSive. But since I'm riding an XS I feel being XSive in design stays true to form. It certainly can't hurt anything.

Comment

• wear

I will post a pic soon of spacer after I have been 3,000 miles on the mod. I will be changing the rear wheel (front too) on blue streak and will report back....I've got 2700 miles now...It's raining in the OKC, Bummer...chop
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock
                                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                                X