• Show
Clear All

• 70's musclebikes!
    Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0RjWdhs5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snh5b...elated&search=

Comment

• My speedo....

Just for pggg's sake, I do believe my speedo as I have checked it with radar on several ocassions at different speeds. My '79 was 5 MPH fast, but this one is right on. 3,000 RPM is 50 MPH and each 500 RPM after that is another 10 MPH. I used to cruise at 5 grand@70, now it's 5grand@90. I just love it.....
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

• another update

put almost 300 miles on the blue streak this past week (2500 total mod miles now). On the trip to work this morning, I had about a 20mph headwind on the long stretch uphill before my exit. In 5th, doing 65mph, gunned it and she still pulled just as hard as before w/o the headwind, I hit 95mph before having to exit...AND GO TO WORK##$$%^&&^$$%#
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• I'm thinking of rigging the dashboard bracket for the rev-counter only, and ditching the stock speedo, I've used a sigma digital for years, pretty much dead-on according to a GPS, although loses a few meaningless kph at high speed, my XS speedo always varies, mines not reliable, even got a couple of speeding tickets before I cottoned on, Mr plods radar claimed 120kph - speedo said 100kph now, ripping out the speedo drive gears from the front hub - no friction or drag - might gain a couple of mph huh?

Comment

• And more tickets

Just what you need, couple of more MPH. You would be surprised what a little silicone spray lube will do for a balky speedo.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

• Nah, no more tickets, did do the silicone thing, even cut open the speedo and fiddled inside, some improvement, methinks slow speedos are mainly a cable thing, BTW Planedick, I don't vote in these polls, I said long, long ago that Chops 750 mod is a great one, so long as it gives a realistic ratio, which obviously it does. Why do you think I stayed with that similar ratio on my chaindrive bike? I've just been throwing rocks under the wheels of the "The taller the gearing on the XS11 the better the bike" bandwagon Even got the hell abused outta me for DARING to dispute these things Last post on this thread - sayonara people.

Comment

• If the 750 is stout enough and has enough power for that gear ratio then the 1100 certainly does too.

I won't be doing the mod. I already have a problem with speeding. I try to drive by the tach not the speedo. I know that at a steady speed the carbs transition from pilot jets to main jets around 4200 RPM. That is 70-75 on my E. If it was 80-85 then I'd be going that fast (or faster).

I'll stick with what I got. Most of my riding is local <sigh>.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• I am going to try it on one of the three xs11's for better highway feel. I always wished that the xs11 didn't have to do 5000 rpms at 75mph, the legal speed limit on many interstates. I am not into going supersonic on the "noodle" frame as I want to keep my shorts clean. I am a bit concerned with the low speed situations, for example "camping traffic" returning to Denver, with stop-n-go jams on hwy 285, going up hills. With those kinds of situations traffic moves slower than the stock ransmission/gear ratios like to, requiring a lot of feathering of the clutch handle. Higher gear ratios would definately cause a bit more clutch burning. That trade-off is something that I am willing to put to the test!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Should never have to 'feather' the clutch on any highway. Just downshift. The clutch is only for sitting still and getting moving. It is not even needed for shifting, once your moving.

On any 1100, I've ridden, you rarely ever have to downshift to pass anything, at any normal speed. The roll-on acceleration is usually more than I need.

The only change I can see, as far as highway driveability is concerned, is that if you need to pass the guy doing 60mph FAST, you may need to drop a gear.

Any more than that, and you should wait to pass.

As for hills, etc. What are those? even my 45hp Virago doesn't really notice hills.

What this change is doing is partially changing the bike from a 'crotch rocket' (circa late 70's) to a cruiser. Most of us cruiser types drive in such a manner that this gear change will be all good, ie quieter, more efficient, better mileage. The extra top end is a bonus that will rearely be used, if at all. If there is a slight change in passing times, it will take 3 passes to learn it.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

• Did my FD swap last weekend. Hoping I can take it out for test ride this weekend, if it stops raining and it gets above 30 degrees. I wrote down the rpm's at diff. speeds, will compare and post changes.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

• WK and I was at a bike shop/salvage yard, and got to talking to the owner. I told him we were looking for an FD from a triple, and he asked one of the workers if they had an FD on the shelf that would fit a 750, 850 or 1100. I corrected him that I wanted one from a triple only. That's when he told me that they were all the same. Now this guy is in his 60's and a former Yamaha dealer/racer so he knows his stuff. I told him that I meant no disrespect, but there was a difference between the two. Well, we discussed it for a while, and then I told him of xschops' research, and susequent modification of a 750 FD, and installation on an 1100. I explained the difference in P/N's, and gear ratos. and how my engine RPM had decreased by 500 at freeway speed. He seemed genuinly impressed, and then he went on and on about racing, and selling bike parts. He had some good stories to tell. Meanwhile WK was browsing, and one of the mechanics had noticed that we were on 1100s, and they got to talking about how WK wants to paint the Foster Child, and he mentioned that he had a tank that could be bought and was ready for paint. He wanted $40 for it, and it had a cap and petcocks. WK came into the room I was in and told me about it, so I excused myself from the storyteller, and went to look at the tank. It was straight, but the indentations where the emblems attach had been filled, and the primer looked like crap. Also the latch for the gas cap was missing. I asked his price, and he said $40. I countered with a $30 offer, and he said because it was WK's B'day he'd let it go for that. Well, we strapped it on and headed home. Well, to get back on topic, the old boy that I had been talking to was very impressed that someone had done the reasearch on the FD and actually applied it to a bike, so again, great job Chop!

Comment

• Took her out for first ride after 850 FD swap. 79 standard, stock, 17" rear wheel. I live on a gravel road so I have to wait to crank on it till I pull out on the Hwy.
                          There is a driveway about 1/10 mile from where I pull out that I have been using for my test mark over the years to compare acceleration for variuos vehicles. With the 11 FD I reach 78-80 mph at said driveway, I didn't notice any diff with 850 FD. My speedo reads 60 when actual speed is 55, all figures are what speedo reads.

11FD 850 FD
                          1st gear 8500rpm 50mph 55mph
                          60 mph 3600 rpm 3000 rpm
                          70 mph 4000 rpm 3600 rpm
                          80 mph 4600 rpm 4000 rpm
                          90 mph 5200 rpm 4600 rpm
                          100 mph 5900 rpm 5100 rpm

At 55, 5th, still plenty of power to pass. Haven't driven enough to check gas milage. THANKS chop
                          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

• What's the proper way to grease the final drive connection. Couldn't get a complete picture from reading thru threads.

Do you pack a lot of moly on the splines inside the fitting?
                            as well as the driveshaft end?

What about the smooth outside part of the spline fitting, where the grease fitting hole leads, but as noted, it doesn't lube anything.
                            Does the whole deal get packed and put back together?

After seeing inside there, why use the fitting at all?
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

• make those little teeth happy, give em what they want.
                              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

• Woooowwwwww... wish I knew this "back in the day".... I would frequently run it up well into the redline in fifth gear for miles on end. Prolly would have been more suitable for the two laps around the US I made as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X