multi part question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi part question

Today at school it rained lightly. I keep a nice cover over my bike and park it under a tree every day. This helps prevent vandalism too. When I came out to take the cover off, brake fluid had leaked out of the reservoir on to the tank emblem. THe plastic is completely broken into a million pieces and the emblem is unusable. Thankfully, due to surface tension, the fluid stayed behind the emblem and did not ruin the rest of the paint on the tank. Here are my questions: #1 Are OEM emblems available?
    #2 I can't figure out where the fluid is leaking from the MC, What should I do to find the leak? #3 What is the best way to paint/ seal the peeled paint behind the emblem?(OEM Diamond Silver)
    I can't understand why the MC just started leaking. I haven't had any trouble with it all summer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Hobbyman;

#1. - Sorry to say, OEM emblems are no longer available new. Ebay is a good bet

#2. - There are four places the mc can leak:

-the cap - large rubber bladder thingy can crack with age.

-under the reservior - large O-ring

-the piston - rebuild kit

-the banjo - new crush washers

Surley with that much fluid leaking you can see the fluid trail?

#3. -neutralize the brake fluid with soapy water. If it ate through the primer, re-prime the bare metal. Don't think you can match the factory color, so a re-paint may be in your future, but at the least get the bare metal protected or it'll rust.

Comment

I think I have isolated the leak. It is eather a small crack in the reservoir which I cannot see, or as I recall, there is a big O-ring at the base of the reservoir. the reservoir does not appear to be available and the O-ring is not listed in the parts. Does anyone know where I can get them?
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Andrew

I know a place in Bedford that has the O rings.

Comment

Can you PM me the address? I have put the many fractured pieces back together on the emblem and I filled the backside impressions with epoxy. This might hold it together well enough. What would be the best way refinish the emblem. the gold is ok, but the black has peeled off. There appears to be some kind of clearcote on the outside. What should I spray as a clear over the whole thing?
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

hi hobbyman

theres a place in aus that does replica
            badges, heres the link.

http://www.badgereplicas.com.au/badges_yamaha.htm

my mastercylinder had also leaked, it was coming
            from the plastic sight viewer, had polished
            mastercylinder and rubbed the plastic to hard,
            leaked all over my emblem as well.

hope this helps

peter
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hobbyman, Check the "Tank, Sidecover, Emblem" thread. There is some good advice there.

Dean
              If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
              80G The Big unit
              72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
              84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
              79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

I may have found a replacement emblem, but I am not sure yet. I have been keeping an eye on the emblem thread to see what comes up. Today I pulled the old o-ring and it is definitely the culprit. It is too big and the inner surface is rough. Why did it just start leaking all of a sudden? I would have noticed before. I didn't even notice that my emblem was destroyed untill after I noticed the "wet" MC. I have a line on a professional paint manufacturer that speciallizes in classic automotive paints. This place made the paint for my friend's restored 1971 SS454 chevelle. They have excellent quality. I will see what they can do. I guess I should have replaced EVERYTHING when I originally brought this bike back to life. I decided to use my time wisely by recleaning my carbs since my bike is out of action. Since my #2 carb got temporarily pluged going to the Talihena rally, I have been meaning to rebuild them. I am glad I did because I notice that my floats were ALL leaking a little. THis was causing my long starting trouble. THe gas has been draining out of the hose and when the engine was being cranked, it was taking time to refill the bowls to the normal level. Now I have some Inline fuel filters(finally). I guess it is good to have an occasional maintanance weekend to fix and clean everything.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well I have some good news. I finally recieved my new emblem and I am impressed. I decide to take a gamble with speed and sport inc. I know that some people have had trouble with their ebay auctions, but I was just going to order it directly from them. It doesn't look exactly the same, but the part numbers do match up so I am happy. It fits nicely. I also git a few other NOS stuff really cheap from them. For me they were AA++ Anyway, all that is left is to fix the paint on the tank around the emblem.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                  X