No announcement yet.

Broke pressure plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.. WOW! sweet fix!.. i would have thrown it out and gotten one from one of the parts motors on the floor.. but thats great ,everyone dont have parts laying around like that ..
    .. my first thought was of the balance of the part also then i read somone else had the same concern just put another stud the same size directly across from it or fill them all in to be sure.. ..the extra weight might smooth out some vibrations from this point

.. MAXIMS balanced clutch baskets

Comment

amazin rescue job !!it's good to salvage!!i was reading somewhere about spacing a worn pressure plate ?? never looked at clutch yet goin to get to grips soon!! mine slips now and again
      just wanted to know the pitfalls of pressure plate ,they say you cant get em any more??mine may be fine and i have a complete clutch on way for spares do the pressure plates ware??

i thought it'd be new springs cable and all plates or clean up the metal plates and replace the friction plates and cable ,adjust as
      per manual and clutch would be good again??

so just to confirm again sorry!! can the pressure plates cause problems too!!
      Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
        I wonder if threading and studding all the posts when replacing the clutch would strengthen this weak spot on our drive trains? Might prevent accidental breakage on reassembly.
        Also, doing this to all would keep this spinning part balanced. A couple of ounces off @ 8,500 RPM might cause a vibration or harmonic.
        Just thinking out loud here.....
        First of all: Great job!
        Threading and studding will definitely strengthen the part. I am not sure if it needs to be balanced anyway. If so the complete clutch pack should be, including the plates. Did anybody mark his before disassembly?
        @ Pat the clutch does not do 8500 rpm, at least not if you keep the engine below 14000 rpm (primary drive ratio 1.657)
        XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Gaffer77

I've not noticed "worn" pressure plates. That's what the friction plates are for. Motorcycle clutches are pretty much a "disposable" item like brake pads...tires...etc.

The way I "re-installed" the clutch pack was with a impact wrench. I set the gun up to apply about 45-50 ft-lbs of torque. Tested it on a nut elsewhere and set the impact gun accordingly.

Then I just tightened the nut on the bike with that setting. It's not exactly 51 ft-lbs but close.

his whole clutch assembly is made of pewter or something really light.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Olli
            Did anybody mark his before disassembly?
            I assume you mean mark it (as if it was balanced from the factory) and go back the same way to keep it in balance?

I've never done that on any clutch for balance. I have marked things upon dis-assembly to keep it all straight going back. Good idea.

Comment

.... my avatar? I just got tired of the old one, thought this one looked interesting...
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah well I never even knew what it was.

BOY....I DO NOW!

Comment

Maximan, actually Kens' avitar is the clutch hub for the rear wheel. The splines that you can see is where it engages with the final drive. Just thought you'd like to know.

Comment

Hey Gaffer,

I've heard of folks having worn pressure plates!! The extra plate they talk about is a steel plate, put in the middle of the pack, so you have 2 steels next to each other, then sandwiched like they ordinarily are with fiber/steel outwards on both sides of the double steel sandwich!!! This will provide a mm or so more thickness to take up what was lost from the pressure plate(s)!
                    HTH.
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

John

I see the splines now. It looks similar to the star plate on the clutch too.

Comment

Oh yeah and thanks for all the praise on the fix. I am pretty sure it will last indefinitely. There's really no way it can move and that steel stud it far stronger than the pewter they originally made the piece from.

Having said all that BS...know this...I am NOT that sure of it. And as soon as the new plate comes in I will replace it!

Like I told Dan Hodges...I would puke blood IF...just IF... that thing broke in the middle of the Nevada desert.

However...like I told him...there's coming a day when we'll have no choice but to rely on our own wits to fix these things. I think we are getting close to that regarding other parts including the TCI...right Randy?

Comment

thanx TC That was it exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazin !!! i knew there was something about it!!!
                          Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Ressurecting "This Old Thread"

Cody, did you replace the pressure plate or are you using the 'repaired' one? If so, I'm guessing it's holding-up good.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

pressure plate

Hi Cody, I still haven't gotten to my clutch fix yet, I didn't know that part was the pressure plate. I had an entire clutch assembly here for the "T.C.extra steel plate" mod if I decide to go that route. You still are more than welcome to have....nice engineering exploits....chop
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock
                              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                              X