Rear Gear Ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Gear Ratio?

Can someone tell me what the rear wheel gear ratio is for an XS11? I have some rear axle ideas for a trike but need to have this info as a starting point, Thanks!

Hi XS11Trike,

Try this link. It's Chops Final Solutionhttp://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=11451

This should answer any questions you may have and then some. I think the rear is something like 3.3:1 Hope this helps.
    Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
    87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
    93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
    71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
    69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Thanks!

I'm wanting to use a rear end out of a Honda CRV or a ford Escape or whatever the Mazda model is. I don't want a Hardtail / chain drive like my old HD trike. If I do this I'll probably have to get rid of my XS650.

Comment

FD ratio

3.3 to 1 is stock xs1100. 2.9 to 1 is the xs750/850 ratio. Hey trike, take a look at a 78-87 XJ6 (jaguar) rear end.They are IRS and can handle lots of power, also the discs are located centrally near the axle. They are very abundant and I have seen a few diff. applications....chop
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

XS11Trike
          what is your time frame on this build, are you going to have a
          build thread on this or some other site.
          Reason I ask is I am planing to build a trike out of my XJ11.
          Greg

"An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses"

Comment

Re: FD ratio

Originally posted by xschop
            They are very abundant and I have seen a few diff. applications....chop
            Where are they abundant? I havn't done any searching as yet in the St. Louis area. Any junkyard? or a english specific supplier?

Comment

check local posts

Postaroo is a multi-city free posting board. I almost bought a complete 87 xj6 for 500 bucks.they are cheap and abundant because the motors are expensive to build/repair. The chevy v-8 installs easily into the engine compartment. The company JAGS-THAT-RUN,that I did my s-10 v-8 convesion from, has the jaguar kit as well....chop
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock
              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Originally posted by 3IOH22A
                XS11Trike
                what is your time frame on this build, are you going to have a
                build thread on this or some other site.
                Reason I ask is I am planing to build a trike out of my XJ11.
                I'm probably a year out on starting the hands on part. Unless I fall into a deal on an XS11 like I did on my XS650. I also haven't completed all of my ideas on the 650 yet.

Comment

Another Possible Issue

It just ocurred to me that drive shaft rotation may be an issue as well. Which direction does the drive shaft on an XS11 rotate?

Comment

I'm going to take a chance and say clockwise. The XS1100 "leaps" on a hard launch, so the pinion gear is trying to climb the ring gear. That puts the rotation clockwise, in my book.
                    But then, I may be wrong....( it did happen once, but I got a divorce )
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Left side shaft rotates clockwise right side shaft rotates
                      counter clockwise
                      Greg

"An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses"

Comment

Rear end will need to be flipped to run forward.
                        Greg

Comment

Left side shaft rotates clockwise right side shaft rotates
                          counter clockwise
                          So looking at the shaft as it would turning a rear axle it would be turning the yoke?

Comment

Rear end will need to be flipped to run forward.
                            Sorry for all the questions. I ran the chain driven axle on my Panhead Trike upside down as a big twin tranny drives on the left instead of the right like a 45 or Sporty but it was a greased rear end, no oil. Will a standard automotive rear end upside down without a problem? If it had drum brakes would I not need to swap those from side to side for proper operation?

Comment

Hi XS11Trike

The XS11 driveshaft rotates the wrong way for most car differentials. So you will have to flip the axle over or modify the middle gearbox so it rotates the "correct" way.
                              Some diffs can be rebuilt with the crownwheel on the opposite side to get the desired effect.
                              A lot of diffs these days have the pinion arranged so they don't run on the centreline of the crownwheel. This setup means that the pinion is "pulled" into mesh. If you invert one of these diffs the pinion will be pushed out of mesh. DAMHIK
                              If you flip a complete axle over you will have to swap the brakes end for end or you will get trailing shoe brakes which are not very efficient.

Have a look at my website to see how I tackled this problem

Neil.
                              Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X