Another ebay scammer - Tank Emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ebay scammer - Tank Emblems

Here's another less than trustworthy ebay seller. He keeps putting golf cart emblems up as NOS XS11 tank emblems. The last set went for ~70.00. It's been a couple of years since I bought emblems but I paid less than $20 delivered for a set from a Yamaha golf cart dealer. I have no problem with seeing these on ebay as long as they are not stated to be genuine motorcycle parts.

Anyway the sellers id is speedandsportinc and wouldn't reply to emails asking for the part numbers that are hidden in his ad.

He has an ebay store and a lot of feedback so he can't be all ripoff but I will definitely think twice and shop around before I consider buying from him.

His current auction is number 320039575788 and he states:

YAMAHA FUEL TANK EMBLEMS
    GENUNINE YAMAHA. NOT A REPRODUCTION.
    NOS. NEW OLD STOCK.
    ONLY TAKEN OUT OF BAG FOR PHOTO.
    THESE ARE FOR AN XS1100 (SH) 1981 SPECIAL

Not quite a lie but not the truth either.

Enough of venting about a pet peeve --- Ride Safe Rob

I've seen these more then once. They are silver chrome. As for as I know all the xs11's had gold chrome. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Yes, I think that all genuine emblems are gold colored not silver.

Also, the genuine ones I've seen have the letters extending below the background tho' I could be wrong.

Rob

Comment

I don't know, I've been dealing with speed and sport for three years and they are always on the up and up. If you're not sure, give them a call, ask for Cindy and she'll verify the color for you. For me, it's hard to tell if they're gold or silver. IIRC, the golf cart emblems don't have screw holes, right? These do have holes.

And, yes, the 81 SH did have gold emblems, at least mine did.

Comment

The golf cart emblems I've picked up had holes and fit my special tanks but weren't nearly as nice as stock. Since NOS emblems are rare and expensive I was glad to find an affordable alternative.

Overall I imagine it is a good store but I don't care much for items that aren't truely described.

Rob

Comment

Tank emblems

The MNS had chrome tank badges, and I think the side cover emblems were chrome also. I bought an MNS tank from a member, and it had a gold gas cap and chrome emblems. They are now on my bike. It seems I remember someone here saying that the MNS did have chrome emblems, and the other models had gold emblems. dpotter, or Pat Kelley would know.

Comment

I have an 80 MNS and it has chome emblems. I have also had good luck with Speed and Sport ( pretty high priced parts ) but allways got genuine yamaha motorcycle parts. When I get back to SD I will check out my "New" chrome xs11 special emblems I recently purchased from them. I would hope the part number will tell the true story. Will post the results whether good or another lesson learned.......
              DEW
              One Red "Creation 1"
              One Black"Creation 2"
              One Black"Creation 3"
              One ???? "Creation 4"
              One ???? "Creation 5"
              One ???? "Parts Bike"
              All the above 1100 Specials
              78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
              1980 Midnight Special
              1978 650 SE

Comment

I have an 80 Midnight and the stock tank emblems are gold with letters extending below the background. Likewise my SF and SG altho' I can't verify the provinence on the SG.

part numbers from the original fiche which will probably supercede

SF - 3H3-24161-00-00 both sides

LG - 4H3-24161-00-00
                4H3-24162-00-00

SH - 3J6-24161-00-00
                3J6-24162-00-00

I visited "Bike Bandit" and was surprised to discover that the 81 Special emblems are available through them at $3.43 each. They are listed as silver in color but do appear to have the extended letters. Unfortunately they don't give the Yamaha p/n. The SF and SG emblems are discontinued as is typical thru an actual p/n search at a dealer.

If I'm wrong and the seller originally obtained these in good faith as genuine XS parts I'm willing to apologise. If not, no regrets since there have been quite a few "golf cart" emblem scammers on ebay in the last few years.

Rob

Comment

My LG had the chrome emblems. I swapped them with the gold emblems from my E.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by rockjok
                    I have an 80 Midnight and the stock tank emblems are gold with letters extending below the background. Likewise my SF and SG altho' I can't verify the provinence on the SG.

part numbers from the original fiche which will probably supercede

SF - 3H3-24161-00-00 both sides

LG - 4H3-24161-00-00
                    4H3-24162-00-00

SH - 3J6-24161-00-00
                    3J6-24162-00-00

The 3J6 P/N for the SH emblems tells you that the part was first sourced from the 80 SG, or it would be a 4R0 P/N, so they are the same part. The 4H3 emblems, and other items with a 4H3 prefix seem to be for the MNS only, so they are different from the emblem on a Special. I just looked in Yamaha on line parts site.
                    Does any of that make any Sense?

Comment

I have received my 81SH side cover badges from Old Bike Barn and the are absolute beauties! They are cast in gold metal and have the backgrounds painted black. I back ordered the tank badges after seeing the awesome quality of the side cover badges.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycl...rsal=Universal
                      Mike Kampman
                      '81 XS1100SH "Deputy"
                      '85 XJ700N "Sheriff"
                      Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kampman
                        I have received my 81SH side cover badges from Old Bike Barn and the are absolute beauties! They are cast in gold metal and have the backgrounds painted black. I back ordered the tank badges after seeing the awesome quality of the side cover badges.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycl...rsal=Universal

Are these the ones that they mention casting shrinkage? Will be interested in how well they fit.

Steve
                        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                        Norton Electra - future restore
                        CZ 400 MX'er
                        68 Ducati Scrambler
                        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Copy of my post from 2005:
                          BLUEJEEPLAB;

If you want NEW emblems, try Oldbikebarn.com. Brand new cast metal emblems (not cheap at $20 plus each) but they are perfect.

Be aware that because they are cast metal, the finished product is 2% smaller than stock.

Not noticeable to the eye, but you will have to drill and tap the flange on the tank to accept one of the screws. Just line up one and drill the other. SLOWLY!

Comment

Well I made it back to South Dakota and compared my "new" tank emblems with existing emblems as there is a definet difference! I can't imagine the emblems on my mns were replaced so looks like I've been "had" hopefully unintentionaly. The letters stick out over the main body on my old emblems. The new ones just come out to the edge of the main body. When you flip them over the old ones have the chrome/plastic color with the appropriate part number. The new ones are just black with no part number. Looks like I will be calling Speed and Sport to see what they will do about it. Oh, by the way, the new emblem was laying over the part number of the package when they took the picture to post on ebay...............BUYERS BEWARE!
                            DEW
                            One Red "Creation 1"
                            One Black"Creation 2"
                            One Black"Creation 3"
                            One ???? "Creation 4"
                            One ???? "Creation 5"
                            One ???? "Parts Bike"
                            All the above 1100 Specials
                            78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                            1980 Midnight Special
                            1978 650 SE

Comment

There was a thread awhile back about someone selling these same (golfcart) emblems and making money.
                              Capitalism is great when it's in my favor.
                              Those are in fact, new, genuine Yamaha emblems that do fit the XS1100 tank.
                              If someone that really wanted an XS1100 offered you $20,000 for your bike (and it was for sale), would you turn them down and sell it for less?
                              Fountain soda (big gulp, etc) costs the store about 10 cents. Anyone outraged that the store is making an outrageous profit?

Seems that (in the last thread about these emblems) someone on this list was Emailing potential buyers of the emblems and telling them where to get them for $5 each. That member got in trouble for interfering with an Ebay sale
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X