Vader update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vader update

Exactly what I thought...(and was afraid of)

Pulled the carbs over the weekend to see what's up. A whole can of worms, and then some!

Float levels : 25mm, 19mm(!!), 24mm, 21mm - Explains the wet no 2 and 4. Set all to 25mm.

Main jets - 137.5 (Plastic!) in 1,2,4 (Std for 79F per tech tips?) and 122.5(metal) in 3 !!!!!!!! Why you ask? Idle mixture screw in 3 broken off and 4 bent and in bad shape. (Also turned in too tight)

Bit of a bugger, as I can't seem to get it out, even with the push-pin trick.{ Yeah, this time I did my homework }The other problem : No-one in SA seems to stock these, unless I buy a complete carb kit (K+L)which comes to about $30 ea - Crazy!

Mate of mine is gonna look for some, also ordered some 140 or 142.5's (or closest that's available) mains from him (under $2 a piece) because of 4 in 1 and K&N.

Couldn't get no. 2 or 3 pilot jet out, as the groove is worn off (Idiot PO!) but sprayed it some penetrating oil and will try again tommorow, but everything was supprisingly clean.

Also, got the electrical gremlins sorted out. My own fault though...
    Pinched a wire in the lights switch when I put it back, as one guru suggested. At least I now have a new, pretty looking fuse block, and wiring A-OK. Even the gas guage is working, wasn't before due to a loose earth connecter!

Getting there... slowly but surely!

More l8er

1H
    79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
    transforming into:
    "Darth Vader"

stripped jet slots

a left hand drill will walk the jets out easy . I bought a set from
    fastenall .

I still need to get idle jets out , what a bugger those are !!

Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Onehand the slide needles washers/clips etc. . are probably all over the show too, needles are marked sizes, their plastic holders have a miniature bump that skews/springs the needles against wear, for mangled fuel pinholes plug them with tacky epoxy, rescrew in the new jets for new pinholes, pilot jets sound like a pita, good luck on that one, heard a tip where drilling the 2nd(middle) of the 3 lowrange pinholes in the carb throat slightly larger (not the idle pinhole in front) gives a boost to midrange power and a lot smoother at medium revs, but few people are gonna bother with that.

Comment

Lost me somehere

needles are marked sizes, their plastic holders have a miniature bump that skews/springs the needles against wear, for mangled fuel pinholes plug them with tacky epoxy, rescrew in the new jets for new pinholes,
        Thx pggg, but you lost me somewhere...

I havn't taken out the slide needles or diaphrams. Only took out what I could get to from the float bowls, or outside. Everything looks OK, except for the pilot jet heads, which has seen some screwdriver abuse... And obviously the air mixture srew/needle that has been broken off, which I cant get out. The treads where everything goes back in does not seem to be damaged. Where should I put the epoxy then?

Thx
        1H
        79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
        transforming into:
        "Darth Vader"

Comment

Won't need to epoxy anything if the broken mixture screws come out without wrecking the pinhole they poke thru. Sounds like some new pilot jets needed too.

Comment

CRAP!

Parts are so damn expensive out here!

Just got a quote for the idle mix screws. Works out to about $12 ea. X4!!! and then some $2 or 3 ea for mains. Didn't even ask about pilots. Doesn't even help to order from the US as shipping alone $40!!!

Will have to wait till pay-day. At least I got lots of other things to keep me busy...

1H
            79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
            transforming into:
            "Darth Vader"

Comment

stuck pin?

Little goodie bottom right made from a tap (hard steel) placed in drill press, ground down with cut off wheel in a die grinder.

Positioned it in carb with vise grip, one tap with a NO. 13 spanner and popped out broken needle when all other methods had failed.

mro

Comment

Cool!

THx!!!

I bent 3 pushpins before I gave up. Scared of breaking something.

Had something like that in mind, but didn't know what to make it from. Got some 8mm stainless rod, or could maybe also try a old screwdriver bit. Will have to look what else is lying around tonight.

1H
                79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                transforming into:
                "Darth Vader"

Comment

I used a 1/2" brad held with needlenose pliers and a pair of chanel lock pliers to apply pressure. The brad is much stronger than the pushpins. Or you could put it in the freezer to allow the metals to contract at different rates and then push it out as some have tried...

Clark

Comment

Onehand I'll send you some mikuni pilot jets in an envelope if you really need some, I have some spare 42.5's, I'm guessing your stuck pilot jets are gonna get mangled before they come out.. as for the idle mix screws, just had a look, unfortunately the spare ones I have all have - you guessed it - broken tips.

Comment

WHAT??? Another XS with a Star Wars inspired name!? Answer this, Sith: (Watching again is cheating!) How long did it take for the Millenium Falcon to make the "Kessel run"?
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Looked at my UPS account,
                        what it would cost to send a set of carbs to SA,
                        $248.00.

Well I have paid more in freight, but item weighted several tons.

mro

Comment

It's out!

Thanx for all the help guys!

Got the broken tip out! Used a 1mm drill bit grinded down slightly.
                          Held it in a pair of pliers, and have the pliers a wack (several)with a small hammer.
                          Mangled the hole slightly, but I cleaned it out and screwed one of the 'Not so bad' air screws in and out. Looks like it should still work. (At least better than a blocked hole!!!)

pggg - I would REALLY appriciate that. . Parts like that are allmost impossible to get new. Not even second hands, as they look like the ones I've got. Cant even get original Mikuni mains. Have to go for Solex. I'll PM postal address. Still can't get the damn pilots out. They're about flat on top! Will go look for a left hand drill this weekend, otherwise pull out the old dremmel!

Tommy, If I remember correctly : "Less than 11?? Parsecs!" 'And outrun Imperial .'Battle Cruisers' !!! LOL!
                          Havn't watched it in a while...

$248?!!! Yikes! Thx for the thought, but I'll battle through it. Just getting withdrawl. Will have to go for a ride on the XT!

1H
                          79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                          transforming into:
                          "Darth Vader"

Comment

Wyn, gotcha address, I'll post spare jets and stuff tomorrow.

Comment

THX!

Thx pggg!

Much appreciated.

1H
                              79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                              transforming into:
                              "Darth Vader"

Comment

Working...
                              X