Left/ Right crank seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left/ Right crank seals

Are the crank seals interchangeable for each side? I see it's a different part number, but does that necessarilly mean it's different? I have an extra from doing the right side, and didn't know if anyone knew for sure that they can't be swapped. Thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

book says bigger OD one goes on left... pg 109 of clymers, pic 179

but my book doesn't include the XJ.
    Yamaniac
    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

They are not the same at all. The right side seal is smaller, and they have a "rib" that fits into a locating groove in the crankcase. With an OEM seal, the left side must be done by splitting the cases, but I have an OEM right side seal that the rib has been eliminated. Removing the rib is something that is new, because I did the seals in my bike a few years ago, and both of the OEM seals had ribs. I bough some more last year, and the right side was minus the rib, but the left side still had it. I have read here that someone has found a left seal with the exact same dimensions that doesn't have the rib, and can be installed without splitting the cases.
      The XJ uses the same seals as the XS.

Comment

I figured they'd be the same (XJ and XS) The motor is a 78 XS anyway. There is a local shop here that seems to magically have every kind of seal or bearing that you can think of. If someone has a seal sitting around, any chance they also have a caliper, could you get me the inside and outside dimensions, as well as the thickness? I took the one for the right side in to him and he measured it... said he had them for about 1/4 what I paid at the local bike shop.

ALSO

I can't put my motor together because I have lost one of those measly little circlips that go on each side of the piston and hold the wrist pin in!!! I will check to see if my local shop accidently has one laying around on Monday... but in the mean time, anyone have a spare they could mail to me? Please?? I can send one back and replace it when I get one in from the shop, but their delivery times can vary if they don't have it in stock. Held up by a tiny piece of spring steel.... Sigh. I realized I had it in my pocket the other day... so I put it in a safe spot so it wouldn't get lost.... any hypnotists out there?? I'm tellin ya.... that mercury and lead paint is kickin' my A@@!

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod

Gotcha covered on the wrist pin circlip. PM me your address, and I'll get it out Monday. The stamp's on me.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...eft+crank+seal

The above link is in reference to replacing the left seal with a lipless version.... I need to do this myself as my left is leaking...
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
            X