No announcement yet.

OK you certified wrench turners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm... well, we're gonna find out. I am removing all of it and puting a very very fine hone to the cylinders before re installing them. Guess we'll find out. Just as long as it doesn't burn it like a 2 stroke.. we'll be OK!

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

One other note on the subject of the knock... Iwas reading the yamaha technical bulletins on the parts breakdown pages that they provide (I look at it at South Seattle Sports Plaza website) and in the third from the last bulletin for the '80 xs1100 they refer to an "annoying" knock. They instruct the dealers to suggest installing a new vacuun advance unit for their customers. It sounds like your situation is more than just an "annoying" knock but this may be worth looking into.

Dean
      If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
      80G The Big unit
      72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
      84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
      79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

.. sooo, that's what that was!!?..

Also I read in I think the Clymer's manual(?) that you shouldn't remove that ring of carbon around the top of the cylinder unless you are doing a complete overhaul. Supposedly to do so will adversely affect oil consumption
        .. i had replaced the head on the red bike, while i was in there i had scraped off that carbon ring on the top of my cylinder. i replaced the head and then rode the bike up to West Virginia. on the trip up the bike had used almost 3 qts of oil in 930 miles! i put on about 400 more miles while there[TC had told me about how much smoke i was putting out when i passed him at one point]. ..the trip back was a little longer @ 1035 miles, but for some reason it didnt seem like i was using as much oil as the trip up. after being home for a while[i ride the bike everyday, 20 miles a day at the least], the bike seemed to still use oil a little more than it should have. but for some reason i have not had to put oil in it for the past month or so, it's like it's healing itself or somethin... hhhmmmmm, i wonder what it could have been?

Comment

Is this carbon an extra "Ring" helping seal at the point of ignition?? I am going to do a light honing today.... am now thinking of leaving this ring of carbon alone on the cylinder and just cleaning up the piston.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own