OK you certified wrench turners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK you certified wrench turners...

I got my cylinders off without much problem. I sprayed the base of the head bolts LIBERALLY with penetrating oil, gave it a few good whacks with a board and a hammer, let it sit overnight, and a couple good smacks with the board and hammer, and up she came. Several of us thought it would turn out to be a wrist pin, but everything looks pretty good. The only thing I can find is this on the #2 cylinder wall.

I am assuming piston slap. This thing made a H^%$ of a noise as it got hotter. I made the angle of the picture make it look the worst, but even IT doesn't seem bad... can't feel anything rubbing my finger across it... just looks discolored.
    I don't have tons of mechanical experience, (Obviously) but I am not sure what to be looking for here. I will take this tomorrow to a guy that does know his stuff and have him Mic a few things.

If it IS just slap, is there a cheap fix to get me by until I can get this other motor done? If it is the wrist pins, wouldn't they feel a bit sloppy in the piston.. and be galded? (They aren't)

Any and all opinions welcome!

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

I had a B&S lawn mover do the same thing. It would run fine, but it always burned oil. The cylinder wore down soo much that when the piston was in the cylinder you could rock it side to side. When it would run, sometimes it would get caught in an oscilating motion as the pistion went up and down. RPM would drop, loads of smoke would bellow out, and it would knock really loud. I board the cylinder and put in an oversized piston with new rings and that solved the problem. I don't know if this was the same problem, all I am saying is that my cylinder looked the same way yours does now. Since you were going to boar it out anyway, I wouldn't worry about it any more.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

That looks like a spot of corrosion from when condensation was corroded the piston to the cylinder wall. It's down low and if there isn't too much clearance, it won't be a problem. I’d clean it up with a hone then measure with a snap gage to see how much larger it is there. You might be albe get away with new rings and having a little knurling done on the pistons.
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

This spot is about halfway through the stroke. This cylinder didn't burn any oil, and the exhaust looks great. #1 has the carbon buildup in the exhaust and had low compression compared to the others.. so was assuming that this would be the problem cylinder... not the #2 like it looks like. This piston has never been corroded to the walls (That I know of) and has gone about 6,000 miles until the knocking started.
        I am not boring this engine. I want to get it together cheaply so I can ride still while I get a DIFFERENT motor rebuilt. I want to do a few things that are going to take some time, and wanted to still ride while I did this.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

The power stroke is pretty well used up by the time the piston is that far down. I'd look the piston over well looking for cracks.

If there are no cracks in that piston, then have it knurled and then hand fit it to the bore. Tell the guy at the machine shop to only lighly knurl it so you won't have to take too much off to get the gap right.

It won't slap after that and you may not be in a hurry to replace that engine afterward.

Geezer

Comment

.. Tod, is this the early motor[78-79] that you had put the XJ head on? and what year cams did you have in this one?

Comment

This is the 78 motor with the XJ head. The 78 cams were used. This motor would make such a racket when it got hot, that I just don't see how this little scuff mark is all that was done. I understand that there won't be a half inch deep GOUGE in it, but what I've seen so far doesn't seem to show anything like what I was expecting. When I took the valve cover off, it smelled like the grease in a vehicle differential that had been burnt.. so I was expecting galded bearings or something.
              Also... does anyone know for sure if you can just take off the oil pan to get to the rod caps, or is it absolutely necessary to split the case?

Geezer, with this knurling... do you re-use the same rings? I don't know if anyone around here does that, but I will check.

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Geezer, with this knurling... do you re-use the same rings?
                Use new rings and have the walls lightly honed. Ream the ridge at the top of the cylinders or the new rings won't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                  This is the 78 motor with the XJ head. The 78 cams were used. This motor would make such a racket when it got hot, that I just don't see how this little scuff mark is all that was done.
                  I don't think that noise was piston slap. Piston slap sounds like a rattle at and idle and usually goes away at higher RPM.

I wouldn't worry about fixing this cylinder unil you've check out the rest of the engine.

Geezer

Comment

Have you looked at the cam bearings? I would check the clearance with plastigauge. I would also look at the oil tube going up to the head. If you have a partial block of the tube, you may have been "starving" the head when warm, and causing the noise.
                    Just something else for you to look at...
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I took the cylinders, pins, and pistons to a guy today that is going to be doing most of the work on my rebuild. He said there was nothing I showed him that would cause a knock EXCEPT the extra carbon built up on the pistons. He said it's a possibility that after the piston heats up and expands, it could cause a knock against the head. He said the only other thing he thinks it could be is a crank/rod bearing in the bottom. I was told to check for play while holding the crank stationary, but that I should pull out the filter and look at it. If there's copper colored shavings.. that's probably the problem. If there are no shavings... the crank bearings are going to be fine and that I should scrub off the carbon, throw it back together and see if that was it. He told me the rings were pretty loose in the grooves on the pistons, but that it would probably be fine for a bit. The cam bearings all still looked good.
                      I got sidelined today for a day or two with a chunk of metal in my eye from my grinder last night. Used it for a total of about 3 seconds... felt something hit my eye... but after blinking around and didn't feel anything... assumed it was gone. Today around 11am, was getting worse and worse. I looked in the mirror and could see it there plain as day. They had to dig it out, then scrape away on it a while to remove the rust that had started also. Now I'm miserable, I look like I'm stoned out of my gourd, it feels like my eyelid is scraping on 40 grit sandpaper, and I'm still no closer to figuring the dang bike out! Well... at least I know what it's NOT right now. I will keep you informed

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

Also... does anyone know for sure if you can just take off the oil pan to get to the rod caps, or is it absolutely necessary to split the case?

Tod
                        I currently have the oil pan off my E (2nd gear fix).
                        Looks like you can get to #2 and 4 rod bearings from underneath. 1 and 3 look inaccessable to me without splitting the cases.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

This is the 78 motor with the XJ head. The 78 cams were used.
                          .. the reason i was asking: i was wondering if the valve releaf in the top of the older pistons were big enough for the bigger valves of the newer head. the noise grows louder as the engine gets hotter also, very similar to the response of your mechanics over carboned idea.

Comment

So, just to take this thread in a slightly different direction, what kind of oil were you using when you had the noise. My expereince has been that Tsunami is noisier when I start it up in the spring with the el-cheapo 10w30 I use for winter storage. Once I put the Castrol 20w50 back in for the riding season, it quiets back down.
                            YMMV....
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

.. different part numbers from 79 to 80 [78-79 small valves, 80-up big valves]
                              79 SG- 2H7-11631-04-46 PISTON (71.46MM STD)
                              82 XJ- 3H5-11631-00-46 PISTON (STD)

Comment

Working...
                              X