No announcement yet.

Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, take a look at this. Can't believe you guys haven't found the thread I'm attaching below via the search function yet...

These Showa shocks are eons ahead of the old stockers. Got mine used on Ebay for $80 a year and a half ago. I'm 6'11" tall, 275# and with a fully loaded bike for the Colorado Rally this summer or two up with anyone, my bike gets a heavy load at those times. Heck, alone I might weigh as much of many of you guys and your pillion.

These shocks flat work.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=showa+shocks
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Howard: Got some EBay Showa shocks last week based off your thread... I'll let you know - Thanks!
      When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Good deal, I think you'll be really pleased with them. Yes, let me know how they work.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Learned lots on this thread but have a quick question - I just finished cleaning up my rear shocks (original parts). They work fine and the bottom adjusters are in good order. On the top of the shocks is a small wheel marked 1-2-3-4 and it just seems to spin aimlessly without a hard stop at 1 or 4. One would think there would be a limiter of some sort at either end of the range. Any clues?
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          Mostly stock & original
          Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
          Torpedo bags
          New paint (still) pending
          Stainless brake lines
          Tkat forkbrace
          Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
          1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
          1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

It is your rebound damping, 1 for soft, 4 for firm. It should have a click for each position, no hard stop at either end.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Damping

Like Phil said, just damping, the OEM were state of the art in their day, but today, much improved are out there. I like mine for two reasons, I wanted the exact showroom OEM looking bike I fell in love with in 1979 and 2nd, I don't throw mine around like a dirt bike and the 100 mile per hour freeway ramp days are behind me (although I did those on stock OEM 750 Special shocks back in 1979) I may only be pleased because I havent tried others, and the ones he got off the Honda look great, but I am called OEM for a reason

Originally posted by barrelguy View Post
              Learned lots on this thread but have a quick question - I just finished cleaning up my rear shocks (original parts). They work fine and the bottom adjusters are in good order. On the top of the shocks is a small wheel marked 1-2-3-4 and it just seems to spin aimlessly without a hard stop at 1 or 4. One would think there would be a limiter of some sort at either end of the range. Any clues?
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I'm the same way OEM4ME... My 80 SG is doing it's best to stay 100% stock, however those stock shocks just ain't the same after 32 years. My left shock started getting a dusty film on it. I could tell it was finally giving up the ghost and my desire to have a bike that would actually have some hint of rear damping made up my mind. Even compared to when the stock shocks weren't beginning to fade, the Showa replacements are much better, even though the Showa's have no damping adjustment, preload only.

On another thought... I have to believe that someone, somewhere has had the stock shocks serviced. Seals, bushings, whatever parts they may need should be out there in general, even if not specific for those shocks. Kinda like the new left side bearings (rear wheel) that are showing up again. Not made for the bike specifically, but they are the same part.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

The factory shocks are sealed, not servicable.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    The factory shocks are sealed, not servicable.
                    ... as are almost all shocks. There's rebuildable aftermarket units out there, but they're big bucks. Even the much-touted XJ air shocks are sealed, at least the shock portion of the assembly.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I understand they are sealed... That just means it should take a bit of work, but anything that can go together can come apart. Don't know if I'm talking apples to apples here, but a fellow on the V Strom Forum takes the stock rear shock, takes it apart, puts in shim stacks based on your need, welds a bung on it for charging/recharging the shock. The V Strom shock is supposedly not serviceable as well.

So that isn't a possibility with the XS shock, eh? Just askin' the question...
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Think that scoot is mono-shocked, isn't it Howard? If so, that is a gas-charged shock and they ARE rebuildable, plus it has dampening clickers compression and rebound.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          ... as are almost all shocks. There's rebuildable aftermarket units out there, but they're big bucks. Even the much-touted XJ air shocks are sealed, at least the shock portion of the assembly.
                          The XJ shocks are able to be completely broken down and rebuilt. All sections are able to be reached except for the actual dampening adjusting valve from what I've seen and I think you can get to that even if needed.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Check out the Ikon shocks available from www.laverda.ca
                            They are application made and have some designed specifically for the XS11's. They are rebuildable and apparently are Koni shocks after they were sold and renamed. Worth a look, but I am not sure of what pricing is.
                            http://www.laverda.ca/
                            Last edited by Rasputin; 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

FWIW, Mat Wiley of Race-Tech pointed me to YSS shocks. They are rebuildable and <$500. Race-Tech does not sell shocks in that price range, so I trust the recommendation. Still, that's a lot of money. $500 would buy a lot of take-offs. I depends upon what you want to get out of the bike.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Shocks

I think the ones you found look great on your bike If I had to replace mine, I would consider them if I couldn't find a good used OEM set. I am sure it handles much better with them, and looks great also. I know I sound crazy, but when I restored mussle cars, there was something I loved about having to drive the car, instead of it doing the driving for me, like the newer cars do. It did get harry at times, but that was part fun

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
                                I'm the same way OEM4ME... My 80 SG is doing it's best to stay 100% stock, however those stock shocks just ain't the same after 32 years. My left shock started getting a dusty film on it. I could tell it was finally giving up the ghost and my desire to have a bike that would actually have some hint of rear damping made up my mind. Even compared to when the stock shocks weren't beginning to fade, the Showa replacements are much better, even though the Showa's have no damping adjustment, preload only.

On another thought... I have to believe that someone, somewhere has had the stock shocks serviced. Seals, bushings, whatever parts they may need should be out there in general, even if not specific for those shocks. Kinda like the new left side bearings (rear wheel) that are showing up again. Not made for the bike specifically, but they are the same part.
                                1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                                1980 XS1100 Special
                                1990 V Max
                                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                                1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                                1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                                X