Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Shocks

Hello,
    I am looking to replace my rear shocks. I have a 79F and believe the rear shocks measure 12.5 inches eye to eye. I weigh about 210 lbs and about 6'1". I was thinking about putting a taller shock on the back since I do alot of two-up touring. Would putting 13.5" shocks on the back screw up the handling on the bike? Has anybody tried this? Thanks.

I'm 5'11" 230 and run 13.5" rears. Be sure and get the heavy springs, as the XS with gear is heavy. I use progressive shocks, but don't remember the exact model. They didn't do any harm to the handling, and in fact they did help a LOT, as the old shock/springs were shot.
    This is a link to the site I ordered my fork springs from. http://www.mawonline.com/
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

XS650Mike had reported just a week or two ago that he installed some shocks 3/4 inch longer and says it IMPROVED his handling. Use the search tool with SHOCKS as your keyword, he's just a few lines down...
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

The XJ has airshocks on the back, is there any kind of upgrade for these?
        XJ 1100
        XJ 550

Comment

The XJ air shocks can be replaced with standard non-air shocks like the ones mentioned in this thread. However, if you want to keep the air adjustable feature, there are after-market air shocks available from Progressive and others that will bolt up. Keep your old shocks until you get the new ones; the XS - XJ uses different mounts from left to right side and you may ned the inserts from your old shocks to make the new ones work, though most new units include a variety of inserts to let them fit multiple applications.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Read this thread. I put those heavy springs and shocks on and it absolutely made a new bike out of my old 78E.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=Progressive

If you have the legs adding an inch to the rear height changes the front a little and the bike 'turns in' a little bit better. Even with Sally on the back we had lots of fun in the WV twisties after adding those heavy duty shocks and springs.
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Long story, but over the weekend I unexpectedly ended up riding over 1000 miles two-up. My springs aren't up to the task. I bottomed out here and there and I was grinding the center stand in turns.

Are those heavy duty Progressive springs still available?
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I've bought several sets of Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn motorcycles. Adjustable and he'll swap springs several times to get you into the correct weight range.

They are mid-range in price and quality but good customer service and knowledgeble seller helps. ~$180.00.

Rob

Comment

Progressive Suspension

I found a source for Progressive Suspension shocks and springs. They have "14 series" in 13 and 13.5 length and springs are available in 100/140 rate.

They also have "12 series" up to 14.25 inches long and spring rate up to 95/140.

I want to run the twisties loaded. What's best?

I was given HAGON shocks and springs that I put on my XS650. They are wonderful, but too soft for even the 650. They were purchased for an old Triumph T100R. Still, I see HAGON as a quality product.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

I put those 120/170 springs on the heavy duty 12.5" and never regretted it. If you do solo mostly I would think the 140 rate springs might work for you, with the heavy duty shocks, in the twisties. I think I weigh more than you do Marty and with an adult on the back it was great with those 120/170 on. The XS is heavy enough by itself and I think those standard shocks and spring setups are for straight line riding, which I don't do well... but for the twisties you need to keep those springs extended as much as you can or you will scrape everything. So I would recommend the 120/170 springs with the heavy duty shocks.

Sorry I forget which Progressive part number the shocks and springs were.

I dug up my old Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse order from '04, their part numbers are

16812 Progressive 12.5 heavy duty
                    16832 Progressive 120/170 shock spring black
                    48863 Progressive 5013 travel limiter 1.25

You can go to the website and look up the Progressive part numbers so you can shop around.

I was around $140 USD for the shocks and $60 USd for the springs. Worth every penny. Buddy has a spring compressor so the assembly was no problem.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Travel limiter

What is the travel limiter for on the progressive shocks ?

Comment

Originally posted by James79 View Post
                        What is the travel limiter for on the progressive shocks ?
                        This thread is 5 yrs. old.

It is basically a rubber bushing to keep shock from bottoming out.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDQQ8wIwAQ#
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It seems to me that if you have the proper spring rate, there should never be a need for a travel limiter.

FWIW, I ended up with 140/200 rate springs. They are correct for me and my SG.
                          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Thanks

Thanks you bikerphil and jetmechmarty,

That helped. XS1100 new to me. I will leave them off of my new shocks, cant see them bottoming out.

Comment

Don't leave them off; while if everything is good you probably won't need them, if for any reason you do bottom out, the limiter will prevent internal damage to the shock. That's why they're there....
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X