MIDDLE/FINAL GEAR Fluid CHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDDLE/FINAL GEAR Fluid CHK

Ok .... i do not have the dip stick 2 measure the fluid in the middle & final drive gear so i am asking can any1 tell me how i can chk it or tell me in "s (inches)how much shld be in there or is there another way.... also i need to know how much shld b in there & how 2 tell how much actually is..... it feels as if ssssshe is shifting hard & is why i want 2 know...... thanks 2 all of u who reply...

Check out this tip: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72

Has measurements on it. I think the rear diff hold .33 quart, but I don't have the book handy.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I wouldn't think the mid or final would have anything to do with the bike shifting hard, but it's a good idea to check it/change it.

Have you adjusted the clutch (not at the lever)? Recent oil change in motor?
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

These bikes are famously clunky shifters, just like they drip at the nose. Mine is reluctant to go 4 to 3 without a brisk tap. I'm OK you're OK?
        David Browne
        XS11SG Crunchbird
        XS500E

Comment

Mike,

I recently changed my oil and noticed that it "Thunked" harder going into first gear.

I was going to look at adjusting the clutch this weekend.

But I was curious to you comment about recent oil changes???

Comment

the one bad thing about my xs-- a "harley-esque" transmission.

i assume the boys at yamaha decided that they needed to build the thing "strong", so they sacraficed some "smooth"?

while on the subject--is their anything a person could do to help this out, short of buying new parts?
            79ish suzuki rm250
            82 honda cb450sc
            78 honda cx500
            72 honda cb175
            78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

While on the subject....

When in first and releasing clutch, it almost feels like the brakes are engaged. It really takes some rpm's (around 2000) to get moving, is this normal? The wheels move freely, so I don't think it is the brakes. It kills the engine if not revved before slowly releasing the clutch. Any thoughts?

Dupman

Comment

dasuchbe - But I was curious to you comment about recent oil changes???
                Oil gets dirty, tranny gets clunkier. It is a clunky shifter by nature. Different oils give a range of clunkiness. Smoothest shifting oils I ever used were Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1. But, it's relative.

Dupman - When in first and releasing clutch, it almost feels like the brakes are engaged. It really takes some rpm's (around 2000) to get moving, is this normal? The wheels move freely, so I don't think it is the brakes. It kills the engine if not revved before slowly releasing the clutch. Any thoughts?
                How does your bike run otherwise? Will it pull good up to redline? Seems to me when you're taking off in first gear you're going to be past 2000rpm pretty quickly. But no it is not normal to feel like it needs pampering to take off in first. Checked your air filter recently?
                Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Re: While on the subject....

Originally posted by dupman
                  When in first and releasing clutch, it almost feels like the brakes are engaged. It really takes some rpm's (around 2000) to get moving, is this normal? The wheels move freely, so I don't think it is the brakes. It kills the engine if not revved before slowly releasing the clutch. Any thoughts?

Dupman
                  First gear is geared way hi; like taking off, in what would normally be 2nd gear.
                  Hard to putt-putt away, from standing start.
                  JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                  7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

I found my problem, after talking with PO, I was told the front brakes drag periodically. After jacking the front, the wheel was extremely hard to turn. Removed calipers,(pads were good) and found plenty of rust. Cleaned it reinstalled, took test run. World of difference, just when I thought it couldn't be the brakes, BAM! there it was. My first bike ride, it was excellent!
                    Thanks,
                    Dupman

Comment

Working...
                    X