God Dam It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Dam It

OK I am putting my hop up engine together and have a problem. There is a oil feed cover on the shifter side of the engine under that cover. I have used care to install it flatly but when I firmed up the lock tight-ed screws it cracked at the narrow end where the O ring is. I took the same part off my parts engine and used even more care and only seated the screws lightly and it still cracked at the same location. So now I have only one more of that part that is currently in my running engine. How the hell am I to install that oil supply cover to the trany shaft with out braking it???? Anyone know if that is a pressurized supply or gravity feed?? Can I supper glue the broker one back together after cleaning with contact cleaner and reuse it??? This is an important part that supplies oil to the trany shaft so it MUST work perfectly.
    Anyone else have this issue after splitting the cases??
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Not familiar with it(yet). But super glue likely won't hold up under heat.
    Solder repair maybe?
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

There are people who can weld aluminum. I think?
      As to why they keep cracking, sounds like something isnt lining up right. or another part is putting pressure on the plate from the inside?
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Cases not lined up???

Triangular shaped goodie with o- ring behind it, held in place by 3 flat head screws?

If it broke when tightening it, (twice?), then you've got a problem.

mro

Comment

O-Ring?

Same thing happened to me! Ahrugggggggg!!!@#$%^ ! Check the size of the o-ring. I bought gasket kit / parts-n-more/ tranny repair, grabbed o-ring from kit. Tightened bear cover and POP!!!!! O-ring was too thick. Luckily had spare from tranny purchase. As for repair, TIG I would think. don't think I would trust it though. Find another if you need to and like mro says check allingment and yes the o-ring, tightening it EVENLY!
          BTW--- found correct size o-ring at local nappa store
          "Elvira"
          '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Re: Cases not lined up???

Originally posted by mro
            Triangular shaped goodie with o- ring behind it, held in place by 3 flat head screws?

If it broke when tightening it, (twice?), then you've got a problem.

mro
            Checked both surfaces and they are smooth and flat. That O-ring dose look a little on the fat side so perhaps I should change it out. I think what I will do here is bond it together with high heat RTV adhesive and install it with the new O-ring. There is no mechanical issue just that it would no doubt leak through the crack. The crack can't even be seen when it is mounted by it is there. I am sure that if I stop potential leaking at the crack it will be OK.
            I will however do this on my reg 1979 engine and use the part from it on the hop up engine. I can't use both engines at the same time so I will be OK untill I can find a replacement part or have it welded.
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Rob, If you are going to use the cracked cap, you might try J-B Weld. I thought about it on mine, went with the spare instead. As for the O-ring, make sure it is allmost flush with bear cap surface when installed. Dosn't need much to seal. I think this is pressurized oil passage. I like to put a little moly-lube grease on them prior to install to keep them in place and help seal. Good luck!
              Jim
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

I was thinking after posting that perhaps it would be best to apply yamabond #3 to the crack. That's the same stuff that's used to bond the cases together and should hold back leaks as long as no force is applied which I don't think will be the case here. The 2 parts fit together perfectly and very tightly. The shape of the crack is such that the parts will not move once in place so leakage through the crack was my only real concern.
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

AAARGH....
                  gonna smack ya bwoy....
                  The screws are not normal flatheads... they are the sink type... cone shaped head on the thread end, flat top. If the bottom part of the head is flat, youre gonna crack even more of em. Change the screws...

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom
                    AAARGH....
                    gonna smack ya bwoy....
                    The screws are not normal flatheads... they are the sink type... cone shaped head on the thread end, flat top. If the bottom part of the head is flat, youre gonna crack even more of em. Change the screws...

LP
                    The screws are in deed "sink" type torex that I am using. They are the factory units that require lock tight on them because they are not torqued screws. I am just seating them and the blasted part still cracks. The description that mro gave was a quick I'm sure. In any case the chances of finding this part without having to buy more them I need is not likely so I will have to do the best I can with what I got. What do you think about using the yamabond on this crack? I know it's not ideal but I thin kit will do the job.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Rob,

This is the part, right? Not what my gloved finger is pointing to, but the part the BLUE hand/arrow is pointing at!?

You don't want to use RTV with oil. I like the JB Weld idea better. Just where did it crack? If one of the 3 ears that are used to secure it in place have broken off, I would be concerned about the plate keeping the bearing and gear shaft in place!

Can you post a photo of it showing the crack/break?!

I'm just surprised to hear that the PNM gasket kit O-ring is too large and that it could cause this?! Looks like we need to add this bit of info into the PNM bad parts reference thread in the product reviews!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, I'm pretty sure that is not the part... I know, cause I have a broken one just like Rob's...

The O ring is the culprit, no question about it. As for the JB weld, no idea. I believe it is part of the oil system, and therefore presurized. I think it feeds one or more bearings actually.
                        Brian
                        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                        remembering the same thing!

Comment

I've seen JB Weld hold on cylinder blocks on a big dozer motors... good stuff if you get the area clean and prepped first. Nothin to lose... you have another spare cracked one if it doesn't hold..
                          Sorry... I know you're ticked... I don't always joke around in the best circumstances... Good luck.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                            Hey Rob,

This is the part, right? Not what my gloved finger is pointing to, but the part the BLUE hand/arrow is pointing at!?

You don't want to use RTV with oil. I like the JB Weld idea better. Just where did it crack? If one of the 3 ears that are used to secure it in place have broken off, I would be concerned about the plate keeping the bearing and gear shaft in place!

Can you post a photo of it showing the crack/break?!

I'm just surprised to hear that the PNM gasket kit O-ring is too large and that it could cause this?! Looks like we need to add this bit of info into the PNM bad parts reference thread in the product reviews!
                            T.C.
                            Not that big one TC .. it's the little one right below your real pointed finger. It is cracked at the single screw end.
                            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

GOOD NEWS

So I pulled a late one last night in the garage in an effort to get this hop-up engine in my bike for tomorrow morning / afternoon. I took that little oil supply part off to do the "Mickey mouse" repair and low and behold it was NOT CRACKED. I was surprised because I did in deed hear it crack and could have sworn that i could see the hair line crack at the surface of the metal. I pulled and twisted on the single screw end of the part and it would not come apart. So it went back on with great care and I now have the clutch and trany parts installed and both oil holding covers back on the engine.

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                              1978 XS500E
                              1979 XS1100F Restored
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1981 Suzuki GS1100
                              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                              X