No announcement yet.

Testing my coils - Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the pick-up coil (not just wires, try testing before replacing).
    Maybe ignition coils. Check the plugs, plug caps etc... maybe TCI on the way out?

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

engine stumble

I had the same exact problem with my 80 special this past weekend. Same symptoms, and I just parked the bike, unable to diagnose the problem due to limited time. I did complete the pickup coil fix a couple of months ago, so everything is OK in that department. The only thing different was when I was limping home on two cylinders, I was getting some seriously loud backfiring noise through the exhaust. If I lowered the RPM's at a traffic signal, all cylinders would fire. The engine only bogged at the higher RPM's, with the associated backfiring. My carbs were cleaned at the beginning of the year as well as the screens everyone described. Maybe they are dirty again? I will follow along with the posts and let everyone know what I find and maybe we can solve the problem.
      Randall B.

Comment

Re: engine stumble

Originally posted by irb9494
        <SNIP> I did complete the pickup coil fix a couple of months ago, so everything is OK in that department. The only thing different was when I was limping home on two cylinders, I was getting some seriously loud backfiring noise through the exhaust. If I lowered the RPM's at a traffic signal, all cylinders would fire. The engine only bogged at the higher RPM's, with the associated backfiring. SNIP
        Well, Randall,
        Aside from checking your fuel flow, I would recheck your coil wire fix, another XSive had done his recently, and it had gone bad very quickly. With the increase RPM, increased Vacuum, the advance plate turns, and if the wires are messed up, it seems to coincide with the symptoms, okay, at lower rpm, cutting out at higher rpm!? Just a thought!?
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Started my bike last night, wiggled the pickup coil wires and the bike died. Looks like I need to do a better job repairing the wires. Thanks for the help.
          Randall B.

Comment

Hmmmmm

Well tomarrow is the first time i will get to go out and mess with the bike.
            I will check my wires again and see if there is another one damaged that i missed or if my fix broke.

Ill chime in tomarrow with the results.
            Zen (Reuben Shaeffer)
            "He who thinks he knows does not Know, He who knows he does not know knows"
            Joseph Campbell

Comment

Ok.

I am playing with it today.
              I finaly got a clymer manual also.

I went and checked the fule line.

On the left side of the take I had the fule lines reversed on the petcock.
              I put them on like it shows in the manual.

I finaly got the bike to start and run.
              I pulled on all of the pickup coil wires and the bike stayed running so i think those wires are fine now.

I let the bike run for about 10 minutes.
              after that it tried to die.
              the petcocks were in the ON position.

I put the petcocks in the PRI position and started the bike again.
              it continued running for a while and seemed ok.
              (have not rode it arround just let it sit and run in the yard)

Do ytou think this means that the Octopis is going out?
              If i am understanding this right then when you are in the PRI position the fule flows right to the carb and will bypass the octopus unit.

I am going out to try the octopus test now.

I ll log back in and say how that goes.
              Zen (Reuben Shaeffer)
              Joseph Campbell

Comment

OK went out and did that.
                pulled the front line from each side.
                then pulled the vacume line (broke it in the process )

no fule flowed out.
                I sucked on the line and fule started to flow.

So according to the book that means the diaphram is ok.
                so i just have to replace the vacume line that i just broke

what should I try next?

I am going to hook it all back up and just test it. ride it arround the block till it gets hot and see if it will still run.
                Zen (Reuben Shaeffer)
                Joseph Campbell

Comment

Good job there Zen,
                  You found that old cracked/broken vacuum line that probably wasn't applying/allowing enough vacuum to get to the Octopus, especially when the engine warmed up. So...once you replace that line with a new one, then you should have good vacuum to the Octo, and "FUEL" should continue to flow as long as the engine is running. You can probably now turn the petcocks back to ON and it should keep running. Don't let it idle too long, it is an air cooled engine, and can overheat from just sitting and running without any air moving past the engine cooling fans, like when you are riding it! Now, get out there and RIDE!!!!!!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well I took her our for a ride.
                    she did ok for a while.
                    then she started acting up again.
                    it kinda seems like only when it has a load on it at the moment, it starts to make a terrible BAHHHHHHHHHHH sound from the exhaust then it loses power.

when I would down shift it would be ok for a few then start it again.

I let her sit overnight.
                    went out and put new plugs in it.
                    took her for a spin.
                    didnt even get arround the block and she started to make the bahhhhh sound when it was trying to get up and go.
                    so pulled her into the back yard..
                    look at what time it was.. hmm 4:20... let it go for now.
                    Now im ready to either Shoot it or take it to a shop.

any thoughts before I buy some armor piercing rounds
                    Zen (Reuben Shaeffer)
                    Joseph Campbell

Comment

Is it ok when on "prime"?

And,

Did you check your fuel tank vent?
                      CUAgain,
                      Daniel Meyer
                      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

hmmmmm... the exhaust baaaaaaaah gave me sth to think about.
                        Try the killswitch when the bike runs normally... is it the same baaah? If not, check valves, exhaust, stuff like that... but I kinda doubt that's the problem. Maybe tank vent. Maybe pick-up coils.. not coil wires. But I find it hard to believe that both should cut out at the same time. Have an extra spark plug ready, when it dies, put one cap on the extra plug, ground the plug and check for spark. Try to determine the presence of gas flow after the bike dies.

LP
                        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Run-Crapout-Run

Had the very same thing happen on Labor Day. Left me in the 110 degree weather for over an hour. In the middle of BF Oklahoma. I took the bike apart-checked the fuses-banged on everything that could be reached. All I had was a Multi-Tool. The mini godz reached in and at least let the thing start-got me to the destination and back home-------it ran like crap that whole night and I felt like I should shoot it and put it out of my world. Come to find out, I had some silicone in the bowls---having used it to secure the petcocks. Drain the bowls, blow them out. Even the smallest peice of debris can bugger the thing. Mine works like a champ now. It has more than once pulled the front end up in 1st and 2nd gear--I am no little guy---385 lbs. Kool is the rulejewel. It is only a machine and can be fixed. Good luck and ride like your life depends on it--it does.

Comment

Zen--just alittle more info

What led me to check the fuel-------I lost about a 1/2 gallon of go juice thru the air filter? OVERFLOW!!!!!!!! Stuck floats and crappy lines. Good Luck. Seems to be doing much better, remember the front end up in the air? Now if I can get a rear tire with tread I will be just fine, and some front brakes, master cylinder is crap. The week end is near and so is the tool box. Have fun Son.

Comment

Well.
                              Mine has flooded fule through the airbox a couple times too.

OK i will unload the gun and take another crack at it.

I am going to pull off the carbs and clean them this weekend.
                              (if I dont mess with the mixture screws i shouldnt have to get them syncronized right?)

I also am going to put all new fule lines on.
                              Do they need to be a specific length? or can i just raplace them to where they dont have any kinks in them.

Wish me luck with the carbs. I hope i dont F them up.

Also.... I see that there are a couple sets of Coils and plug wires on Ebay for like 25 bucks.
                              My coils and plug wires have electrical tape arround the ends of them.
                              Should I buy a pair of those, or spring the 100 bucks to make a new set from dennis kirk?

Thanks guys.
                              Zen (Reuben Shaeffer)
                              Joseph Campbell

Comment

The tape on the coils isn't a good sign, but you are getting spark so I would focus on one thing at a time. Well, four carbs at a time.

When the carbs are off you can't help but do a visual on the synch. You will see that when you move the throttle cable attachment (a strong spring on there) the butterflies open and shut. What you want is for them to be even and just a hairline open when you aren't working the throttle. Hold them up to the light and see how they are; adjust them to be the same with the screws on the linkage.

There is a tip about presynchronizing carbs on this site. This method has you close the butterflies down on a thin wire or some such. You might try it (I haven't had the occasion), but the eyeball is pretty good too. You just don't want to do all your cleaning and then remount really unbalanced carbs when a glance and a screwdriver is all it takes.
                                David Browne
                                XS11SG Crunchbird
                                XS500E

Comment

Working...
                                X