Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on the baboon - she runs, but too rich.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whoooooaaaaahhhh man!

Whoah, what a ride! Got it all back together, started right up with the choke, which means I did SOMETHING right.

(oh, btw, I realized that my idle screws were like 5 turns out!! So I turned them gently in, and then 1 and 3/4 turns out.)

SO, it started up, and after a minute or so on the choke it idled fine on its own, so I took it for a ride.

Low/mid end bogs down a bit, guess I'll have to pull my needles again and raise them a notch.

HOWEVER. at 3500 RPM it's like the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive finally kicked in.

HOOOLLLEEEEE CRAP! I think my ARMS are a few inches longer!

At least I've found the right jetting setting for the top end... once I reset that needle, everything else should be hunkey dorey.

....unless you guys think my idle screws could be to blame for the lack of low end power? I'm not so sure, because it sounds great at idle, but pops a little at 3k telling me it's lean there?

Am I on the right track you think?

Cheers,
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Am I on the right track you think?

Straight pipes (no back pressure) are going to make tuning your carbs..........difficult at best.....

mro

Comment

yeahhh, I hear ya - but I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

wellll, who'd a thunk? second try's a charm!

turns out the rich runnin' it had before was probably mostly due to the bad emulsion tubes and the mis-set idle screws.

1 size smaller on the mains, highest setting on the needles, 1 3/4 turns out on the idle screws, and MAN ALIVE does it scream.

I haven't even synched the carbs yet, that's tomorrow mornin'... just a bread tye sync.

So yeah, no miss, solid power throughout. It's a STEEP power curve, but there's still plenty of low end - enough to where you barely have to twist the throttle coming off a stop sign.

so yeah. I'm pretty stoked right about now.
          Kristoffer
          "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Hey Knewsom,

That's awesome!! Glad to hear you've just about got it all figured out!! Congrats on your hard work, it's definitely paying off!

I'm curious though, about your previous statements on how hard it was to fit the new MikesXS needle jets into your carbs?? You said you had to hammer them in?? That doesn't sound right/good! Could it have been an excess amount of varnish within the chamber of the jet that caused the resistance?

Just glad to hear that they work, another good source for otherwise unavailable parts for these aging machines!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

welll, it's weird. on carb #4, it was rather difficult to hammer in, despite there being like ZERO varnish in my carbs. After that, I used a liberal ammount of oil prior to tryign to hammer them in with the drift, and the others went much smoother - in fact one of them I could almost push all the way in without the hammer. I think that good 'ole household oil is the key to these.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure there was zero varnish in my carbs (after all, they DID go through the dishwasher, AND I sprayed them out with carb cleaner many a time), but its not like any metal shavings came off when I hammered it in - I think it was just a tight fit.

Heh, I DID have to spray it down with cleaner after the fact to make sure there weren't any extra bits of leather skulking around in me jets, though!
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

no miss, solid power throughout

Way to go knewsom.
                Tuning carbs when you’ve got both pod filters and after market exhaust usually hit and miss........

mro
                btw
                How's it sound when your cranking the throttle???

Comment

Re: no miss, solid power throughout

Originally posted by mro

How's it sound when your cranking the throttle???
                  Heh, well, let me put it this way: What's maroon, weighs 600 lbs, and snarls like a wild beast?

You guessed it. THE MAROON BABOON.
                  Kristoffer
                  "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Working...
                  X