Gauge Cluster Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge Cluster Rebuild

I have my Gauge Cluster torn down nearly completely. I do not want to alter anything too badly (Yea Right), but I want to try and fix my trip. Odometer works fine, but trip does not.

Any Ideas as to what to do to get the cluster completely out? It is at the point were the only problem is the Cluster itself is stuck in the casing.

There are 2 screws on the tach side, and 2 screws located on the speed side, near the connection for your odometer.

If I remove these 4 screws, nothing is going to come apart too far, as to where I can not piece it back together is it?

Thanks, Justin
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Anybody out there have the gauge cluster to the 82 XJ? I need the speedometer part of it, just so I can fix the tripometer.

Problem is, everybody on eBay wants like $75.

I do not care if the gauge cluster is broken, as long as the tripometer/speedometer is ok, I need it.

82 XJ11

Comment

in the old archives there is a guy in oregon that rebuilds speedo's... illl try to find the information for u.
      jeff "Wags"
      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
      79sf rusty
      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Hello,
        from what i have seen a lot of 82 xj1100 parts are very expensive, even used. that is the problem with a bike they did not make a lot of. I will keep an eye out, for a parts speedo for you.
        Bill Woods
        1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
        1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
        2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Hello,
          I was in contact with a fellow named pete hunter that i had quote me some parts. He had a bike on ebay mis-listed as an xs1100. I emailed him, is a 82 xj1100, as i suspected. He had the bike like 3 weeks ago.
          here is his email
          hunter_pete@msn.com

here is the link to the old ebay auction where the bike never sold.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...851753494&rd=1

good luck, i hope he has your parts!
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Heh, just got worse...

I pieced the bike together, without the tripometer. Took it for a spin around the block without mufflers. Halfway around the speedometer quit... No big deal I guess. I will just have to fork out $100-$200 for a used working Gauge Cluster...

Life is treating me really well right now eh?

82 XJ11

Comment

Have you thought about the bike speedo tech tip? It is somewhere around here . . . basically there is a digital bike speedo that will work . . . and reads to 183 Mph! Cost about $35 I seem to remember . . .
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I am not sure I should admit this, but here goes.

I decided my speedo may not have been messed up, and I got a chance to look at the bike. Stupid Speedo Cable snapped. I already bought the $200 speedo assy. all I needed was the stinking cable... AHHH

82 XJ11

Comment

Hey we've all done that mate, I just bought a new set of clutch plates (£50) only to find its the preasure plate thats ko'd, only problem is the only preasure plate I can find for my 79xs is a sh compleat clutch with new plates for £100. Doh!

Anyone want a new set of plates?

Comment

Speedo removal

Justin,

Did you ever get the speedo out of the housing? The needle just fell off of mine and before I tackle it just wanted to check.

Tnx Fred

Comment

Fred,

I did take the whole gauge cluster apart. It was not fun. I did notice that the needle was ok, and spun, the problem is the cable. You can hear it whining now when it spins and the other half just sits there. Appreciate your idea, but I think I have it all covered. Besides my mechanic is slower than crap. He had my bike for 2 months, and all he did was install my pipes, and rebuild my gauge cluster again. I bought a used one to mesh parts together for pieces that were missing. (Trip Dial, wires, etc.) He forgot many things, and I still do not know how fast I am going.

Speaking of . . . How fast is a 82 XJ going in 5th at about 6K RPM? I figured about 70-75, but I do not need a ticket. I am still riding, here in West Texas we do not know what snow is. So I get to ride year round. Plus it doesn't usually drop below 40-50.

I would also like to know how fast a stock XJ can go period. 80 can't be right. It has more power than that I am sure.

82 XJ11

Comment

Working...
                      X