Hot non-start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot non-start...

Yesterday I had to ride downtown a little, looking for a county office. At one point I stalled her out when a guy with a left turn signal on went straight through instead and almost got me. When I hit the starter, it behaved as if the battery was very low and barely turned the starter, which didn't figure, as I had ridden a dozen miles at speed after an easy start. I walked around to complete my errand, wondering how to get home and back to get the bike, etc. After I finished, I walked back to where I'd parked, and she fired right up! WTF? The battery is fairly new. Does this sound like a starter issue, a ground issue, or charging? I doubt charging, as it wouildn't have a stronger charge after sitting than when I'd tried to start it before. It has always had a slow starter when warm/hot, which make those up-hill/ turning/ hop on it/ blend into traffic stall-outs an adventure. Any ideas? Runs fine otherwise...
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

overheated?

I know on my xs850 after riding around town and stopping for gas the pistons and cylinders would cool at different rates and act like the batter was going because it was too tight. I'd give it about 10 minutes and she'd fire right up.

Clark

Comment

That is exactly what it feels like. Can it make that much difference? Once it starts cranking it starts right up, but at first it's "RRwww...rrwww...rrrr...."
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

yep,

I'd fill up my tank, buy a coke and relax on the curb until the coke was gone then she'd start right up. That or there's a thermal problem with your battery.

Clark

Comment

I'd clean all the grounds if I were you.

One at the rear engine mount -to- frame

One at the battery - to- frame.

One at the starter. The starter BODY forms it's own ground to the engine.

Comment

I second that it is a probably a ground issue. This has happened to me on numerous vehicles.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Check out a Kuryakyn LED charge indicator. Dennis Kirk #406777. It will really open your eyes on how little charge you get when tooling in traffic with alot of stop and go traffic.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

It may be that the starter gets weak after it has absorbed the engine heat. If all of the other recommendations don't work, you may need to try that.

Comment

Right you are, John. Dirty or worn commutators and brushes do funny things in wide temperature swings. I've even seen the grease in the planetary gears solidified like wax slow the starter down to a crawl.

Comment

Working...
                  X