Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions

Hi all! I am the new owner of a 1980 XS1100 (pick it up on Friday)and totally new to motorcycles. I picked this up as something fun to tinker with but currently have VERY little motorcycly knowledge nor have I ever ridden except as a passenger. I am a diesel mechanic by trade so I feel comfortable with mechanics but am a total newbie to motorcycles. First thing first and I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the shift pattern for these bikes. I was told 4 up 1 down but I have no idea what that means. I have been reading the FAQ and tech articles and will be spending the weekend tearing into the bike to determine just what I have. This seems like a great place for tech and advice, and from what I can tell it seems I got a great style of bike.
    80 XS1100LG

Welcome, 77crewcab
    It's one down, four up.
    Press the shift lever down with your toe for first gear. Then toe under the lever and lift up for 2nd, 3rd. 4th and fifth. One down, four up.
    A light "half lift" up from first gear gets you into neutral and gives you the neutral light.
    As a diesel mechanic, you know you can't work on anything without the manual. You need to pick up one for the bike.
    No difference between working on a diesel and workin' on one of these. Bolts are bolts, nuts are nuts.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well since I haven't even taken delivery of the bike yet, I still have time to get the manual. Right now my biggest concern is cleaning trying to get used to working on something "small" for a change.
      80 XS1100LG

Comment

Hi ya 77crewcab

new owner of a 1980 XS1100
        Standard, Special, or Midnight Special ?????????

I've got one 80G (standard) and an 80LG (midnight special)
        Ride the 80G just about every where and been collecting parts for the LG.

Got my 80G running before I found this site. Got it running pretty darn good from info here and guys answering questions. If you've really never ridden a scooter before, might want to get someone local to help you get started. XS1100's lack training wheels

mro

Comment

I would also recomend takeing a motorcycle rider safety coarse. The XS has alot of power when tuned right. Enough power to be scarey fast, both, off the line, and wide open. I have an SF and it's the onley bike other then a dirt bike that has scared me into respecting it. A manual is a must have if you plan on wrenchin on these, let alone any, bikes.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

hi,
            I too am a heavy duty mechanic, and find working on my bike simple and rewarding......no climbing into or lying under and nothing is heavy.......a walk in the park.
            Motorcycle safety is number one! A course is your best bet and the 1100 is docile enough to learn on....just use the throttle wisely
            82 XJ1100 Maxim
            80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
            Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
            black on black

Comment

I already plan on taking a begging rider safety course so no concerns there. As far as which model it is I really don't know. I didn't think to get the vin when I bought it so will have to wait until Friday night to check it and see. On the manuals, is Clymer's a good beggining or should I just look for the factory Yamaha book? I know it will need new mufflers and the Harley or slip on style seems to be a good option. What would be the best way to get a nice mellow sound and avoid the high pitched scream like newer sport bikes. Don't really want the Harley sound either something more along the lines of Corvette sound or similar.
              80 XS1100LG

Comment

Clymer's should be adequate for you with your mechanical knowledge!! There was a recent post on "SOME" of the errors that are in the Clymers, a search should show it to you.

As long as you don't pull the baffles completely out, you shouldn't experience the Harley sound!

A recent discussion about sonic properties of exhaust mufflers revealed that having a larger hole in the mufflers contributes to a lower toned exhaust.

My 4-1 pipes did have a rather tinny tone, but after drilling four 1/4" holes in the end plate of the baffle, it made it a little bit louder, but also a bit lower! There are many sources for slip on mufflers in a variety of styles, turnout, turn down, cone, flare, megaphone, slashcut, etc.! And they all have baffles that can be modified to your ear's "taste"!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

77crewcab
                  On the manuals, is Clymer's a good beggining or should I just look for the factory Yamaha book?
                  I've got the Clymer and have a borrowed factory book too.

Claymer actually explains a few things a little better, but also not quite same as factory book.

Like having both and will miss factory book when I've got to give it back. As soon as I get a couple bucks ahead will be looking for my own factory manual, hope to find one like I've got (78' thru 80') Has corrections for the first factory manual in back.

mro

Comment

Sounds good! I'll pick up the Clymer's and keep an eye out for a factory manual as well. I am starting to get very excited about having a new project.
                    80 XS1100LG

Comment

Manual

77crewcab ,
                      I ordered this , it has not arrived yet . I'll post when it does ...
                      http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/Y...ce-Manual.html

I see on ebay a guy selling a cd for $8.00 . Some guys bought that and like it too. The cd has factory manuals , you can print out
                      as needed ...

Have fun with it
                      I'm new too , am signed up for a safety class . And have my learners permit !! Cars dont see bikes even if they look right at us ...

Bob
                      1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                      1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Hey 77CrewCab,

Another point I wanted to make is in regard to the tools, specifically the wrenches you'll want to use. I don't know anything about DIESELS, but these machines have lots of aluminum parts, and the torque specs for some of the delicate internals ie. clutch spring bolts, cam bearing cap nuts, etc. are as low as 7 ft/lbs, and most torque wrenches start at 10!

So..you'll want to look into getting an Inch/lb or a very low scale ft/lb torque wrench for these very low values, lest you strip out the threads!!

We're getting Xcited for you too!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well on the torque issue I deal with anything from 28in/lbs to 850ft/lbs. As far as tools go if I don't have it I can borrow it with the exception of some bike specific tools I'm sure I'll have to buy. Once I get the bike tomorrow I'll try to post some pics so ya'll can help me figure out exactly what I have. BTW I am in Lubbock, TX is there anyone out there close by?
                          80 XS1100LG

Comment

Lubbock?

Man, there ain't nothin close to Lubbock!
                            I'm in the Ft.Worth area. There are a few members around here, and a handfull in the Austin/San Antone area too,

Comment

Okay I finally got it home and had a chance to look it over better. It is an 80LG Midnight Special. Have a Clymers ordered but have a few questions 1) How do I remove the seat? 2)It came with a Windjammer but is not attached and from what I can see the mounting bracket wont attatch to the bike because of interference with the headers can it be done? 3) Was told aftermarket headers were installed but how can I identify what brand they are?
                              80 XS1100LG

Comment

Working...
                              X