Signaling for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signaling for help

I am at my wits end on my damn turn signals. I am still tring to convert to LED and am completely out of ideas. I had the whole set thing together once already and it wouldn't blink. I though it was because I had used the frame ground for the rear blinkers. Not the case. I rewired it with the dedicated ground and still no BLINKING I have two different electronic flashers. I got this red one from superbrightleds.com and a 3-prong one from Schmuck's. With the red two pronger plugged in to the top/center and right parts of the flasher plug behind the right side cover, when i hit the signal it lights up but doesn't blink. The top/center and left I get nothing. And with the 3-prong I get nothing. I don't know what else to do or try. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanXS
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

l.e.d. help

if your electronic flasher is 3 prong, make good ground to the battery post to be sure its not a groung prob. Then swap the other 2 leads opposite of what the flasher says.P.s. all bulbs must be l.e.d. in this configuration!
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

all my bulbs are LED. What ground are you talking about re-enforcing?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

question...in the wiring diagram that TC put up for me, I noticed that for current to move through the flasher it has to go through the Flasher Canceling Switch. Could this unit be my problem? I am away from my baby right now but am desperate to solve this issue.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

nevermind. Only the green w/yellow goes through the unit. That must be the un-needed port in the three prong plug.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I think the canceller counts the pulses from the reed switch that is located in the speedo housing.

My electronic flashers were not plun and play. I had to use one of the prongs to run a wire to ground. The other two leads had to be reversed if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by 81xsproject
            nevermind. Only the green w/yellow goes through the unit. That must be the un-needed port in the three prong plug.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

PS. I am pretty sure you have to run all three prongs. Hot in, hot out, ground.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

skids is right

You must swap the other two leads from what the schematic says. I looked the other day at the diagram from the flasher you bought, looks like you got the "american" one, which will work if you switch the other two leads,again make sure the ground terminal is good. I had to do the same on my 79f, which has no auto cancelling switch....chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Alright, I am bringing this thread back to life as I am back on the task. So here is where I am at. I think in all the screwing around, I messed up my new flasher and here is why.

After setting it up as described in the advise above, I decided to try out the flasher with the basic ingredients. I ran a wire from the battery pos to the pos shown on the flasher, neg from the batt to the flasher, connected the pos side of a single blinker to the L on the flasher, and grounded the other side of the blinker. The blinker lit dimly, but no blinking. Then as instructed above, I switched the L and the pos on the flasher, this yeilded nothing.

What the hell? Is this flasher screwed up? Yes the blinker is LED and is polar, but was hooked up correctly. I tried it out by itself and it worked great, nice and bright.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Jesse,

Ijust looked at the Pin Out diagram they provide, and their description for the 3 prong one was, L= load=light, + is 12 volt power lead, but the 3rd prong is P=Pilot Light output?? I'm assuming that is for the indicator light on the dash!?

Try disconnecting the ground wire from that terminal. The flasher will ground THRU the Load/Light, so it's a direct circuit from + thru Flasher, thru light/Load and to ground! Should work then!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The flasher I have has a little diagram on it. It has +, -, and "L".
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well, in your first post, you said you got the RED one from Superbrights, and the only 3 prong Red one they sell has the above mentioned prongs? Try what I said and see what happens!?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sorry I got the 2 prong red one from superbrightleds.com and a three prong one from schmucks.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well, Okay, use the 2 prong one the way I said, and it should work flawlessly!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

I also tested the red one last night. I plugged one terminal into + from the bat and the other to the + on the blinker, grounded the blinker, and it lit up brightly, but no flashing...?
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X