Back on two wheels, Well, allmost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on two wheels, Well, allmost

The 11(or as the wife has refered to it- The Chick Magnet- like I would need one!) is finally back on two wheels! Dropped the engine in 3 weeks ago and non-stop since.
    Will be diving into carbs soon. Just a couple of questions- I have done very many searches and print till ran out of paper, well crap! Maybe the wife will pick me up some if i don't mention it's for the Mag. Anyway, 4-1 ex., K & N air. Air box drilled? It's been awhile, is the hex at the bottom supposed to be solid? Mine has appx. 3/8 hole. Not sure but i thought this might be drain? Not real concerned about it but this throws off the jetting calc. Also, what kits have you guys had best exp./results with? I'll stay away from the K & L kits as i have seen some not so good reports.
    Two other items having trouble finding. The throttle cable holder up on the control, and the choke lever rubber tip. So, if anyone out there has any spares willing to part with give me a hollar. Not that big a deal to fab./improv. Just trying to save time.
    Will try to post pics later this week.

Thanks
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

One of your answers will be concerning the DRAIN in the air box. Yes, it should be there. The engineers put it there for a reason. The best place to find carb parts is mikesxs, or motorcyclecarbs.com. Only buy Mikuni jets for best results.

Comment

Hey 80MDNT11,

The carb cable holder is available from BikeBandit:
      13: HOLDER
      (M5-075) 294209-001 $2.38

The rubber choke handle is not. You can use a vacuum plug cap for that!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks John & TC,
        Was thinking hole was for drain, just wanted to confirm. Ordered two cable holders too. Thanks.
        I am one of those guys that likes to have a plan at project begining and adjust as you go, so one more question. Ordered comp. gasket set from Parts-N-More a while back. Did not include midd. gear gasket or cam plugs. Plugs looked ok anyway, Bike-Bandit for gasket. My question/concern is O-Rings.
        At trans repair segment, ready to install oil pump, grab new o-ring from set, Hummm. That dosn't look right? WRONG SIZE! Oh well, no biggie. Off to NAPA we go. Same for bearing cap, lol. Was thinking of ordering bowl gskt., needle/seat & o-ring set from them for carbs. Jets straight from Yam. dealer @ 5.00 ea. Has anyone had prob. with o-rings on carb set?
        Project getting close to end, BLOWN Budget! Carbs are no place to skimp in my opinion! Just want to make sure $ spent will be for correct fit parts! Not sure about the Parts-N-More thing for this? Thanks in advance!
        Oh, by the way the eng. case gaskets in set seemed to be of decent material, but GREEN in color! Didn't look real good on BLACK cases--------lol, taken care of!

Jim
        "Elvira"
        '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Hey Jim,

That gasket, needle seat,float valve, O-ring, and UNNEEDED pilot jet plug(hard to see in that photo), should work just fine. It's the same kit that MikesXS sells for the same price, and when you order 4, you'll meet the free shipping limit!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. Trying out some pics in the lounge forum. Like everything----------Work in progress!!!!!!!!
            Thanks for all the help and support on here!!!!! Gotta get to work on them carbs!
            Jim
            "Elvira"
            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Working...
            X