fireing order????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireing order????

what the firing order for these things? in other words which coil fires which 2 cyls and which plug goes to each cyl? the reason i ask is i have the Dyna coils which are not numbered and i have to remove my motor to change the starter clutch and i dont know which ones go where lol

Firing order

One coil will fire #1 & 4, and the other fires #2 & 3. The gray wire to the coils fires the #2 & 3 coil, and the orange wire fires #1 & 4 coil.

Comment

You're FIRED!

Well,

Believe it or not, I've not ever seen the firing order listed in a manual, however, it should be 1-3-4-2 or 1-2-4-3.

The Left side (as you ride it) fires 1-4 cylinders, and the right coil fires 2-3. Left should be Orange wire, Right Gray.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC!

Did you move my post already?

Comment

Yeah, John,

Right after I replied, I saw your reply in a NEW THREAD, and figured you OOPsed, so I merged it while I was there!

I'm quick alright, sometimes too quick, at least that's what SWMBO says!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wanna go short time, Joe?

Comment

Re: You're FIRED!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Well,

Believe it or not, I've not ever seen the firing order listed in a manual, however, it should be 1-3-4-2 or 1-2-4-3.

The Left side (as you ride it) fires 1-4 cylinders, and the right coil fires 2-3. Left should be Orange wire, Right Gray.
              T.C.
              ok that tells me which coil is which but which wire on the coils goes to which cylender?

Comment

Wanna go short time, Joe?

Oh, to be young and stationed overseas again! How I hate retirement! ($10 short time, $20 overnight)
                Anyway...
                ok that tells me which coil is which but which wire on the coils goes to which cylender?
                Doesn't matter. Four cylinders/two coils. Works on the wasted/lost spark method. When the left coil fires, it sends spark to cylinders #1 and #4 at the same time. Cylinder #1 will fire because that's the stroke it's on. Cylinder #4 gets the same spark, but is on the exhaust stroke, the spark is ineffective and is wasted. Much cheaper design than having a seperate coil fer each cylinder.
                As fer which wire goes to which cylinder... each coil usually has one wire longer than the other. For the left coil, the short wire goes to #1, and the longer wire crosses over the valve cover and reaches #4.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ok, so which is cylinder 1? Left or right?

I realize it's implied in your answer, but sometimes things have to made really clear.

Steve
                  80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                  73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                  62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                  Norton Electra - future restore
                  CZ 400 MX'er
                  68 Ducati Scrambler
                  RC Planes and Helis

Comment

everything is numbered left to right as you see it while sitting on it.
                    1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

You'd be suprised at how many non mechanical people don't know which side of a car/bike is which.

Comment

Maybe im not saying it right. My question is Which coil goes on the left and which one goes ont he right? And since my coils are dyna coils and have removeible wires which post on the coils are which? IE the left coil has what coolor of wire and which terminal on it goes to cyl 1 and which one goes to cyl 4? and vise versa for the right side coil.

Comment

The coil fires BOTH wires at the same time. It does NOT matter what wire goes to what side, as long as the two wires on the left coil go to the two OUTSIDE plugs, and the two wires from the right coil go to the two INSIDE plugs.

Ray
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

ok cool thanx guys. i hate not knowing anything about bikes. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X