Main Nozzle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Nozzle Question

I recently went through the carbs on my 79 1100 special. The main nozzles (emulsion tubes) on the 2 & 3 carbs have a different number of holes and differnet hole pattern that those on the 1 & 2 carbs.

Can anyone tell me why this is??
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Assuming 2 and 3 are bigger, from other threads I've read it is to make them a bit richer so they run cooler, as 2 and 3 don't get as much cooling air flow around their fins as 1 and 4. However it doesn't seem to matter as some guys here run the same jets in all their carbs. I suppose it depends on your riding style and your local air temps.
    David
    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

It could be someone has been into the carbs, and that is one thing they did. If the bike is running well, don't worry about it. If you are rebuilding them anyway, you can make them all the same
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"Cool your jets, Pal" (and your engine)

Ealy models had all the same nozzles. (the number of holes determines how much air gets mixed in with the fuel) It was later decided to use less holes in the carbs for the middle cylinders so that they would run richer, hence cooler, due to the fact, as 'Just In Case' mentioned, that the inner two cylinders don't have the same number of cooling fins as the outer two. Same reason that on some models, the inner two carbs have larger main jets.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

'And further more...."

As Diver Ray said.
          If the bike is running well, don't worry about it
          The difference in performance is so minimal, you won't notice it, anyway.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks for the input. Bike runs great so I am leaving it alone but, I suspect it came from the factory this way. I am only the second owner and I can guarantee the previous owner does not even know what a carburetor is!

Makes sense for the two middles to run richer because of cooling.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

just want to say thanks to the moderators for leaving this thread up. You guys just saved me alot of headache! The info on this site is awesome! keep up the good work!

Comment

Does anyone know if you can still buy emulsion tubes from Mikuni for our carbs?
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                X