My 81 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Coils???

No progress from the weekend, my band was playing a show.....

But I'm pretty sure my first solution is going to be replacing BOTH coils... then I'll know. I did try my other CDI box, nothing changed, so either they both work of they're both f'd.

Anyone know where I should look for a new set of coils??

TO TOP CAT:
    And after taking off the headlight, all of my connections seem to be okay. Wondering how you did the wiring switch specifically?
    81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
    sticky side down!

Comment

coils

I read your message on coils. I saw at least 2 sets on ebay over the weekend. Good Luck. tom
      Tom Attermeier

Comment

I think TC just pulled the bottom off the switch, with the wires on, and swapped them with the old wires and bottom.
        You should look and make sure the switch will turn counter clockwise to lock. If not, plan on buying a "hd" lock system, one BIG padlock to go in the front brake disc.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

MNS

Hi lvattaboy

see you have an 80LG,
          mines still in the parts gathering stage

Post a pic, like to see how others are looking

mro

Comment

Changed the Ignition Wires...

and.... I have running lights... hmmmm. But none of the control lights, no headlight. (this is starting to look alot like a fusing thing, maybe a fusebox rebuild is in order...)

also, yes, the fork lock does work, I just never bother to use em, so I checked it out last night, fork lock & parking light.

I was reading in other forums about using laquer thinner (Toluline) to soak the carbs in, going to try that in addition to the coils.
            sticky side down!

Comment

Hey man,

I'd definitely pick up a new fuse box - not too pricy, and it generally needs to be replaced at some point (at least, so I've surmised). It sounds like the box could be the culprit after all here - I don't know what else other than bad wires could cause your control lights and headlight to not work.... unless there's simply not enough voltage to go 'round..? *shrug*

When you pulled your carbs, how sure are you that none of the floats were leaking?

-Kris
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"
              1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
              1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Unless the wiring is grounding out somewhere, I know there is plenty of juice, brand new battery, and I keep it fully charged on my charger.
                (and all the lights worked on the old batt!)

I've heard enough to be convinced to do something about the fuze box.

My #2 float was sticking when I had the carbs off, but was moving smooth by the time I reinstalled the carbs. That's whay I figure I'll pull'em again and soak them in toluline.
                sticky side down!

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
                  .. not much time left to get this ^ mns road test

Comment

Fuse Box Info

ignition coils comming via e-bay. Not in any hurry with a weekend of rain comming my way.

I got a great bit of advice on rebuilding a fuse box, rather than replace what's there, I was told to build the fuse box inside of a little tupperware container, that way I can seal it with the lid and keep the moisture out!
                    sticky side down!

Comment

Ah-ha! got the fuses all worked out, replaces and a bit of rebuilding and all my lights work! Still waiting on the coils, but inrunning the engine a bit over the weekend, I'm still cold on #2... I guess I'm going into the carbs again.....
                      sticky side down!

Comment

New Pics

She's on the road, for now at least...

http://static.flickr.com/45/148738261_e0ac3a2122.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/50/148738611_22f7a3bc28.jpg
                        sticky side down!

Comment

Re: New Pics

Yeaaah! Now ride that bike!

Originally posted by 81XS1100-2006
                          She's on the road, for now at least...

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Back Again.....

So after a couple of weeks of tooling and fussing I'm within a week (or so) of completion. I'll have the entire run of pics up for y'all here soon.
                            Recent fixes: bled & changed pads, just had the carbs rebuilt with fresh needles, tuned, & synched. About 2/3rds the way through the paint job, going from audi white to Brilliant Blue (man-o-man a pretty color, I was trying to get close to Yam-blue but ended up going just a bit lighter) Still have to final coat/wet sand before clear-coating.
                            Waiting on a rear tire, and to put in the new fusebox I just recieved from T.C. Oh yeah, there's the new speedo too (hope it works!) ....

After reassembly and an oil change she's soooo very close. But a very reasonable investment so far at about $1000 total.

There's still plenty of summer & fall riding time!!!
                            sticky side down!

Comment

Something is going right today, recieved my rear tire and my rebuilt carbs today. Methinks this is gonna be a great weekend!
                              sticky side down!

Comment

Finally It's Awesome!!!!

Everything has come together fantastically. Carbs on, new rear on. Cranked it this weekend and flew around. OMFG this is a fast bike. I'm in love. Here is a set of links that show the progression:

when I first brought her home

Mid teardown, ignition/bars removing hardbags

Reassembled, waiting for $$ to paint, tires, & carbs. But running!

Mid-paint (brilliant blue)

re-assembled and running awesome.

a few more things to do but mostly cosmetic....

Least I can do is thank this site for all it's help!
                                Cheers!

**I editted your photo links from URL to IMG, they should display in the message now!! T.C.**
                                Last edited by 81XS1100-2006; 07-10-2006, 12:15 PM.
                                sticky side down!

Comment

Working...
                                X