roads not traveled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    If the highway number starts with "I", it's no good!
    I don't know about that. Have you ever been on I84 through the Columbia river gorge? Admittedly there are some prettier side roads here and there but over all it's a nice ride.

A nice day ride out of Portland is to take the old scenic highway up to Bridal Vail falls, catch I84 to Hood River and take the road up the side of Mt Hood and come back by Highway 26. Along the way stop at the East Wind drive in at Cascade locks for lunch and the best ice cream for many miles around.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarskibum
      If you ran into an XSive from Colorado and his name was Bob, I'll bet it was Bob Boccardi from Colorado Springs. It was your good luck to meet him, 'cause he's a heck of a nice guy.
      Bob G
      81 XS1100LH (Boomerang?)

That name sounds familiar I believe it was him, he was really nice. I wish I could have talked longer but my group was leaving and it was my first time in the area and I didn't want get lost. However he said he just gave his xs to his son, I guess at least it's still in the family. One more thing about Ouray if anyone ever goes there, their is this bakery just off the main drag to your left coming from silverton. It comes highly recommened some of the best desserts I have ever had. one last thing I think staying away from "I" roads is a pretty good rule

Comment

The slab does suck, but I 95 thriugh Maine is kinda nice, especially this time of year. Tree lined and trees in the wide medians. Quite often you cant see the opposing traffic. Very little traffic too.

Comment

Bidal Veil Falls is near Telluride, Colorado. I believe the one you are thinking of out of Portland, Oregon, is Multnomah Falls. When I lived in Hillsboro, Oregon, (west of Portland) would take the "I" to Hood River, up behind Mt. Hood, then back to Portland. Very nice ride. Several waterfalls along the Columbia River, BTW. Multnomah is best known and most visited.

Don't have a photo of Multnomah Falls handy, but do have a 2001 photo of me and the XJ down by Bridal Veil Falls:
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
            Bidal Veil Falls is near Telluride, Colorado. I believe the one you are thinking of out of Portland, Oregon, is Multnomah Falls. When I lived in Hillsboro, Oregon, (west of Portland) would take the "I" to Hood River, up behind Mt. Hood, then back to Portland. Very nice ride. Several waterfalls along the Columbia River, BTW. Multnomah is best known and most visited.

Don't have a photo of Multnomah Falls handy, but do have a 2001 photo of me and the XJ down by Bridal Veil Falls:
            Multnomah is the big falls in the Columbia River gorge but there are at least 3 smaller falls between Portland and Multnomah falls and are only accessible from the old highway. One of these is Bridal Vail Falls.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Jerry, I like that trailer, how much did it cost you? I have never towed a trailer behind a bike does it drag or does it cause weird cornering characteristics? How about stopping, stainless brake lines are probably a must. I realize there is probably a thread out there somewhere with all this info but I figured it is easier to just ask you.

Comment

Working...
              X