roads not traveled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roads not traveled

I took a trip in late july to Durango Colorado from Salt lake city. It was roughly 400 miles one way, we toughed it and made it in one day, well ten hours. On this trip we went on many mouintainous roads that I would highly recomend such as the road from (forgive me I am terrible at road numbers) Durango to silverton and then continuing on to Ooray is one of the most fun and scenic roads I have ever been on. I actually met another Xsive in Ooray I think his name was Bob, he was from the Colorado somewhere I have forgotten by now. On the way home we took I-70 from grand juction colorado to Green river utah. This was the most miserable stretch of road I have ever been on, it was straight no scenery very very hot and a lot of diesels clogging up traffic. I would even recomend going an hour out your way to avoid this stretch, it sucked. This part of I-70 is what inspired me to start this thread, of roads not traveled. I thought maybe we could help each other out, for people planning trips in your area, by letting us know what roads not to take.

That stretch sure can be mind-numbing. Gotta admit though; it's the best route to Moab, Canyonlands and Arches! Planning Durango for next summer. Any lodging recommendations ?
    '81H
    '77 GS750
    '80 ATC 200
    '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Try driving from the Dallas area to west Texas on I 20. You wanna talk about a boring, ugly ride.

Comment

We stayed at the best western about 1.5 miles from the city center. It was nice the rooms were around 70$ a night. We got some sort of big group discount. The nice thing about this place is that it had a breakfast in the lobby every morning. If it were me I would probably shop around a little bit but I was in a big group and thats were they wanted to stay. To be honest though I don't think you'll find much that is cheaper, for what you get, breakfast, pool, hottub.

Comment

Thanks, petevan. Been to a lot of BW's over the years-pretty consistent for the price. Looking for something in a cabin out there for the next trip. BTW, speaking of roads to avoid if possible;I80 across Nebraska during fly season. Yecchhh!!!
          '81H
          '77 GS750
          '80 ATC 200
          '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Hey John...if you have to go west, use US 180 instead of I-20. Senic, friendly, uncrowded , and it moves.

A much better ride than the slab.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

If you ran into an XSive from Colorado and his name was Bob, I'll bet it was Bob Boccardi from Colorado Springs. It was your good luck to meet him, 'cause he's a heck of a nice guy.
              Bob G
              81 XS1100LH (Boomerang?)
              I hate advice.. unless I'm giving it.

Comment

I20

hey dragonrider and john. i travel east and west quite a lot from va. to w.texas and i find that tx114 from morton to dallas the best although 180 is good too. i just like the back roads if i have the time to go that way. if i don't have time i usually takethe slab.
                just another road taken sundowner aka luther herald

Comment

Hey Luther. How ya' doin'? (That's Yankee for How Y'all are?) I have travelled Tx 114 a few times, as it runs past the northern edge of DFW airport (I work there) in Grapevine, and I have followed it to Bridgeport, but there are so damn many gravel trucks travelling that road that it's not safe for a bike. To much debris falling/blowing off of them. It's like riding into a swarm of bees.
                  The last time I used I 20 past Abiline was in 92, and we were driving to Las Vegas, L.A., and San Diego, but we had Ol' Twilite on a trailer. As soon as we got to where we were going the cage got parked and we rode the bike. Didn't get a chance to ride it over Hoover Dam, but that would have been a killer ride. Twists, turns, dips...ahhh... Back in '78 I drove a car from Maine to California, and the guy I had joined the Navy with in '77 was stationed in Corpus, and I was travelling on I 10 at the time, so I figured I would just 'drop down to Corpus from Houston and see him. Well, I discovered that one doesn't just 'drop down' to Corpus from Houston. It's a days' drive! After leaving Corpus, I kinda followed the Rio Grande back up to I 10 on to I 8 and on to S.D. Now, being from the Northeast, I thought that was some of the most boring scenery that I had ever seen. Nothing but cactus and desert...for days... and hot! It was May and things had already heated up.
                  But anyway, that's the road I hope I don't have to take again any time soon. I'm going up to Maine in two weeks to see my Mom, and check out the fall foliage. If I could just talk XSWilly, or rneal5555 into letting me 'borrow' one of their XS's when I get there...
                  Dragon, doesn't US180 go through Mineral Wells, and Palo Pinto? I've ridden out to Possum Kingdom dam a few times, and I think that's the route I took from Weatherford.
                  Last edited by John; 09-30-2004, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Was in Durango last weekend to ride the steam train, Durango to Silverton. Went in and out over Red Mountain Pass, Ouray (u-ray) to Silverton. Fall colors at their peak maybe just past, at high elevations. Great ride. Best loop is Durango north to Ridgeway, then west/south to Telluride, down the Dolores River to Dolores and Cortez, then back to Durango. A trip up La Plata Canyon, off the Cortez - Durango segment is well worth the side trip.

Trip from Grand Junction/Fruita area in Colorado to Moab is not pretty, but the La Salle mountains are off to the south and look nice. If you are heading west out of Colorado, get off at the Cisco exit and take the back way into Moab. Not only shorter, but some good twisties and you run along the river for several miles. This route is actually fun.

If you have to run all the way to Green River there isn't a whole lot you can do about it if you want to make good time. I've gone north to Meeker and further north to Craig then west, but any alternate route isn't much better.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Down from the GreenRiver Utah area, going to Salt Lake, Rt-6, Soldier summit. I've been over this many times in a big truck and even a couple of times in a cage. I've always said " this sure is a beutifull drive " but now that you guys have mentioned it, It would kinda suck on a bike. The scenery would be great but rt-6 is a main route for trucks not to mention all of the coal buckets runnin from the mines to the railroads. Now going toward GreenRiver from Salt Lake, after you get through the twisties, evrything opens up but the scenery is gone BUT there is a long, flat, straight stetch of road that has got about a 1/2-1% grade going down. You can see for miles and let er rip.
                      Now for the worst stetch of road to be on any type of bike let alone in anything, would have to be I-80/I-94 through Chicago's south side, in-through Gary Indiana.
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

If the highway number starts with "I", it's no good!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Czekus

Isn't that stretch of road called the Dan Ryan Xway? When I used to live in that area (Elmhurst/Bensonville/Wood Dale) I had heard it called another name that I shouldn't repeat here. I hated driving through there.
                          Getting from Logan Airport to I 95 in Boston really sux too. US1, Mass 59, and US1A are the route numbers. I drive on those roads 2-3 times a year. I hate them.
                          Last edited by John; 10-01-2004, 12:37 PM.

Comment

road not taken

hey john just to clear something up about my post about 114 w from dallas. whenever i traveled that road i was always in a BIG RIG. i haven't had a bike to ride long distance for about 5 yrs. i am in process of buying an xs1100g and will be doing some then.
                            in the meantime i am getting to know a bunch of guys to go see and visit with and to get to ride with. also working on getting my ride ready for the road.the man i am buying it from is kind enough to let me do anything i want to the bike as long as i don't ride it right now. no insurance and tags. so no problem. sundowner aka luther herald

Comment

"I" systems

Yes the I roads suck! 38 mile drive to work on the toll road takes up to 2/ and 1/2 hours ,yes thats on a road with 65mph speed limit. Yes thats less than 19 mph! I make the drive to Milwaukee Wisconsin (50+ miles ) in like 35- 45 min. Far as i can see you can take I-94/I-80 and drive it up there butts
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                              X