All roads lead to Gunnison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    That's our (The Banned Bunch) stomping grounds. There are some really great backroads back there in them thar hills yonder.

You gonna holler at TRBIG when you hit Ada?
    Will TRBIG even be home or off on some damn cruise
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
      Will TRBIG even be home or off on some damn cruise
      Phil
      I think he might be home now resting up for his next vacation.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes Phil, should be along. The OK / TX bunch always would talk about Eureka Springs in NW Arkansas. I've ridden there, yes it's nice. What they NEVER mentioned was this secret area. Talimina and the wilderness Mountains surrounding OK1 and AR88. Really enjoyed the time riding up there. It is beautiful.

I got to Atoka OK this afternoon and weather ahead to the West looked like it might stay good. No wall of black skies like the past two afternoons. So cancelled by reservation in Ada and gassed up and got rolling on OK7 to Lawton. Good scenery and nice tailwind A lot different scenery than 50-60 miles to the south in Texas on US82. Lower elevation in TX I think.

A wall of grey skies to the south in Texas (thunderstorms) and big puffy white anvils top jobbies behind me but smooth sailing going west. Topped out at 93 degrees but not as humid as GA, AL, MS and AR. Broke out of that crud. At 1,100 ft elevation here. Start the progressive mountain climb tomorrow. Snagged a $55 Days Inn and need to find a good salad for dinner.

Looking forward to a big plate of those Rocky Mountain Oysters some evening for dinner in Colo.

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 07-09-2018, 05:53 PM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

You DO realize Tod lives in Ada, right Jeff?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            Yes Phil, should be along. The OK / TX bunch always would talk about Eureka Springs in NW Arkansas. I've ridden there, yes it's nice. What they NEVER mentioned was this secret area. Talimina and the wilderness Mountains surrounding OK1 and AR88. Really enjoyed the time riding up there. It is beautiful.

I got to Atoka OK this afternoon and weather ahead to the West looked like it might stay good. No wall of black skies like the past two afternoons. So cancelled by reservation in Ada and gassed up and got rolling on OK7 to Lawton. Good scenery and nice tailwind A lot different scenery than 50-60 miles to the south in Texas on US82. Lower elevation in TX I think.

A wall of grey skies to the south in Texas (thunderstorms) and big puffy white anvils top jobbies behind me but smooth sailing going west. Topped out at 93 degrees but not as humid as GA, AL, MS and AR. Broke out of that crud. At 1,100 ft elevation here. Start the progressive mountain climb tomorrow. Snagged a $55 Days Inn and need to find a good salad for dinner.

Looking forward to a big plate of those Rocky Mountain Oysters some evening for dinner in Colo.

Jeff
            Cattleman Days in Gunnison oughta' fulfil the rocky mountain oyster dinner craving Jeff.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You DO realize Tod lives in Ada, right Jeff?
              I think I was asleep at the wheel on that one.
              Knew he was SE of OKC. Just never looked at a map when I made my reservations back in Feb.

Yep, just did, Ada SE of OKC. jeez what a dummy
              probably shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

ha ha ha ha...… I messaged Tod and told him if he sees a big Goldwing with Georgia tags that'll be you.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

ha ha ha ha...… I messaged Tod and told him if he sees a big Goldwing with Georgia tags that'll be you.
                  If he does have him be sure to flag me down and get me some ice. I've been driving for 14 hours with the sun at my back the whole time.
                  I'd call that plum loco

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

If he does have him be sure to flag me down and get me some ice. I've been driving for 14 hours with the sun at my back the whole time.
                    I'd call that plum loco

Jeff
                    That's the life brother. See you in Colorado.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Heading to Raton tomorrow. Too close to Pampa to mess with staying there Tues night. Will maybe stay in Alamosa or B.V. on Wed then EZ ride to Gunnison on Thursday. Nothing against the Panhandle but not in July heat. Want to go back and ride Johnson Mess again between Folsom and Raton. That sure is nice up there. Probably 500 miler tomorrow.

Put on set of E4's this time. Got the nubs wore off pretty much. Happy with the way it maneuvers the curves.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Love the Elites. Put a new rear E3 on today.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Started the long gradual climb today. Departed Lawton OK this AM on US62. ( Phil, was watching for you in the mirrors. You know US62 starts/ends whatever in Niagra Falls. ). EZ route for you.

No wind at all to mess things up so that beat expectations. Most of the trip has been a tailwind. Left the over watered SE very green SE and now in severe drought country. Elev like 1,700 ft at TX line going into the panhandle. 2,000 ft in Memphis Texas. Stopped at Mexican place in Pampa for home made Tamales. . Now in Dalhart TX having a double espresso. At 4,000 ft. Oil, oil, some can't use toasted hay, pipeline and a bunch of Martin Marietta limestone quarries. Thought they were just aerospace. Bunch of mesquite and sage too.

Temps 79 the first hour then 80's. At the higher elevations all that nasty humidity is behind me. Mere 88 now, comfortable but sun is hot on the bod.

Jeff
                          Last edited by JeffH; 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Arrived Raton NM. A day early. Just to sticky hot to mess around stopping in OK.
                            At Texline coming into NM the temps dropped to 80 and humidity to 25%. Very comfortable.
                            450 miles today, and got my evening ride up on Johnson Mesa on the way into Raton . . Windy and 74 up there. Amazing place. Road not great but amazing place. Gate to Volcano was closed so couldn't drive up the volcano. Probably too late in the day.

Not sure my plans yet for tomorrow. Will do laundry then figure out if Alamosa or the neat flop hunters place in Saguache. Last time I stayed there NO one there. Keys in door. Honor system. Put money in envelope and lock door when you leave. I was only guest and only person on the property.

Jeff
                            Last edited by JeffH; 07-10-2018, 06:32 PM.
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Started the long gradual climb today. Departed Lawton OK this AM on US62. ( Phil, was watching for you in the mirrors. You know US62 starts/ends whatever in Niagra Falls. ). EZ route for you.

Jeff
                              Hi Jeff,
                              I have been busy attending races. I asked Google for a route not on interstate and it is 1500 miles and 29 riding hours so i would have needed to leave last week Seems like a missed opportunity now.
                              Not sure how I would hold up in those temps.

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!

Everything is ready.

I'll be leaving at 6:30 AM to meet Roo for breakfast in Filmore, then we'll ride to Barstow for brunch at Tommy's burgers with the rest of the group and we'll head up the 15 to Mesquite for the night.

Thursday it's Grand Junction, Gunnison on Friday.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X