Colorado Rally Travel Follies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    Thanks for the update. Let us know when they arrive at your place. (I see its 105 in St George with 13% Humidity. Gotta love that 'dry heat')
    Same for the Wichita bunch. Somebody check-in and let us know were you are ALL there AOK.

I made it to Fort Collins. Looking out my window at the Rocky Mountains and having a coffee. this is good!

Ride in from McCook was very good. Had a tail wind and it never got over 82 degrees. Really a perfect ride with the sun at my back. Picked up an hour in western Nebraska from CDT to MDT. So all is good.

Rode US34 to Fort Morgan then up CO52 to Pawnee National Grasslands then CO14 into Fort Collins. Will try and post a few pictures next.

Jeff
    Will do Jeff. Good to hear your at Ft. Collins. For you, it'll be a nice scenic ride to Kremmling!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Harry just called. He and Rich just left KC and should be here in Salina around 9.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Harry just called. He and Rich just left KC and should be here in Salina around 9.
        Good to her your in Salina. If interested, that truck stop on south side of exit has a restaurant inside, and the food is way good! Just know, as I used to take a few days off work and run an eighteen-wheeler to Atlanta and back. Heck, even the locals there like it good for an eating-out choice.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Few trip photo's

Good journey so far.
          Have traveled on some great highways. Pavement condition has been better than I expected in Illinois, Indiana & Iowa.
          Weather wasn't too bad either, but i did have to use the Wx NOAA weather radio a few days.

Bits and Pieces of old Route 66
          Poorly marked ...... Didn't even know I was on Route 66 till I saw this sign
          Been on it -or- crossed it a few times in Missouri and Oklahoma i guess

Good reason to be checking Wx NOAA - Helmet is highest point around
          Had some severe weather and tornado warnings but i didn't need rain suit or get wet

Traveled ALL across Iowa on IA Hwy 2 from the Mississippi River to the Missouri River
          interesting road with forests and a variety of terrain and some corn

[/URL]

GL1800 sure is a great all around motorcycle ......... hauling LD junk to zooming the twisties
          getting 47 MPG too

Nebraska Highway 8 What a GREAT RIDE
          also Nebraska Highway 89 real remote & scenic along the KS - NE line

[/URL]

Made it to Colorado - this time on US34

get this loaded before something blows up with the internet

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Nice pics. again Jeff!.......we love pics.

Comment

Cache la Poudre

Picture Postcard morning here in Fort Collins.

Sunny, a cool 61 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Heading upriver on the Cache la Poudre CO14 to Walden in an hour.

Brewed a pot of coffee (always travel with my 5 cup maker) and just hanging out enjoying the view of some snow capped peaks. Thankful my ride across the country went well. Sure are some active severe weather patterns all across the country. Looking at all the weather damage across the country it seems I got across the 'I' states just in time.

Everybody ride safe.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 07-14-2017, 07:15 AM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                and... now you're making me jealous, Jeff!
                I haven't ridden since Dec.

I bet that view was nice!

Thanks for keeping us up to speed with your trip.
                I'm living vicariously through your posts, right now! Hahaha...

Post pics when you can. Safe journey, my friend!
                Bob
                Hi Jeff,
                What Bob said +1
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Cache la Poudre Ride

A few pictures from my Friday ride.
                  Fort Collins to Walden

Up the Poudre River canyon. Fantastic 100 mile ride climbing from 5,000 ft to 10,000 ft elevation.
                  Was on the road at 8am so even though it was a Friday there was NO traffic. sweet

Starting up the canyon along the Poudre (poo-der) River

Very scenic drive with tunnel - a designated Wild and Scenic River

Poudre River Canyon -and- great pavement
                  - not the best place to goof up in a curve

More scenery and curves

here in Colorado they don't mean small game, hitting an Elk or Moose or Bear would not be good

Made it up river to Cameron Pass

Rest stop to enjoy the day - All is good

Made it Walden for lunch as I had planned at the River Rock at Antlers Inn. Then rode to Kremmling to XS Rally Central.
                  It was a beautiful day and a fantastic ride.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Left the XS Colorado Rally on Monday and decide to head north
                    (that heat & nasty humidity Bob talked about scared me out of heading due east out of Colorado into KS or OK)

Rode an easy 300 miles on Monday up into Wyoming

Decided "while I was here"

Rode another 300 miles today to Grand Tetons then Yellowstone. Hasn't gotten over 84 degrees. Mostly in the 70's. Passes were in the 60's. A nice reprieve from the heat. If you think I'm having a good time, you be right.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Did you go to old town in Jackson Hole? Cool stuff there. I used to go to Jackson a lot for work when I lived in Montana.

Used to drive an 18 on those twisty roads.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                        Thanks for the pictures. Good to see and hear what a good time you are having. Keep on having fun and telling us about it.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Did you go to old town in Jackson Hole? Cool stuff there. I used to go to Jackson a lot for work when I lived in Montana.

Used to drive an 18 on those twisty roads.
                          Driving an 18 wheeler on these roads takes great skill, or insanity

I stayed right downtown Jackson Hole last time I was here a few years ago. Classic Western town. As you said, it is a unique and interesting place. I usually have come in on US 89 or US189. This time I approached via the Wind River Reservation US 26. Sun at my back sort of thing.

Phil: no pics, i'm just waiting here till you arrive. .
                          It was a gorgeous day and you would have had a blast.

fwiw, I'm going to ride the Beartooth in the morning then head for Malta to get on US 2 to start heading east.

Jeff
                          Last edited by JeffH; 07-18-2017, 09:34 PM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I love Wind River Canyon. The river seems as though it's flowing uphill.

Malta is where I lived until I was about 10.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Jeff!

You were wise to head north instead of coming through here right now!

Actual temps, upper 90's w/ humidity making it feel like 105 in the afternoons.

We've been geeting these little showers on the weekend... drops the temp for a day or two, then becomes a sauna...

That picture of you by the lake with mountains in the back... that's a keeper!
                              I'd have an enlargement made of that one and frame it! Beautiful country.
                              Wyoming and where you're at is on my bucket list. Never been there, but hope too, one day.

Glad to see you getting to enjoy life to the fullest. Way ta go!
                              Safe journey, my friend.
                              Bob
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Jeff, glad to see you at the rally again! Hope your enjoying the cruise northern style.....on the 'lounge-chair'. Anita and I did miss the phone call that you were in G. Junction and havin' lunch with us, like you did last year, year before, and the year before that.......but it's all good! Be safe my friend and enjoy that LD ride!

Comment

Working...
                                X