No announcement yet.

Destination Echo Canyon CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Jeff...may your journey continue to be enjoyable and safe...'That boy can ride"...LOL
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Great Rally

I sure enjoyed the Colorado Rally. Echo Canyon was a great venue and I sure had a blast meet & riding with everyone. Though like everyone, am bummed that the Calif riders had a problem and didn't make it. I hope to meet Roo & Mike another time. That would be just grand.

I appreciate all the Effort and Planning and Communicating that went into making this a fun and smooth event. Yippie ........ what great day rides. A heartfelt THANKS.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Just had a nice XS mini rally tonight as my wife and I joined SoccerMike and his wife for dinner. Got a chance to look over Mike's newly acquired 79? XS750 Special he got for $50. No rust in the tank! Score!

Now he has me thinking again about an XS Triple.

We discussed Roo's oil pump problem and rally plans for the future. A really nice evening.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Properly Prepared and Properly Tuned

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Now just 1,000 miles back to Atlanta. 3,400 miles so far so this will be something around a 4,400 mile XS11 ride.
          Jeff
          Jeff,
          This is SOOOO Cool.

A PROPERLY PREPARED DRIVER takes a PROPERLY TUNED Thirty Eight Year Old Motorcycle on a 4000 mile journey!

If we can set ours up, as well as you have yours, we can all enjoy a journey like this! Not many have your extensive driving experience but we won't get any if we don't take a long ride!

Kurt
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt from 2007 to 2013 i owned 2 Honda ST1100's...my yearly average mileage was 22000 miles...My XJ1100 and now the 79 XS1100 are capable of doing this but the creature comforts and power of the ST1100 make it a breeze to ride that far...the XS1100s' not so much...then again this is highly subjective...but for me the modern sport tour bikes have me spoiled...If..even after all this work to Swampthing..IF it doesnt work out for me as being more comfortable for the LD riding then I'm just going to have to sell her and try to find something more inline with my old man needs...LOL
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

One thing is certain...i aint going to a Trike... Especially not a POS like that one....
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Oil (lack of) Consumption

Seems odd how little oil my 11E burns. Not that I'm complaining. Its always been that way. To Canada and on a couple trips to Key West. This trip on the way West TO Colorado I rode 1,600 miles from Atlanta to Pueblo. In Pueblo I put in a quart of Yama 20-50 (just because).
                  Then changed my oil in Glenwood Springs CO. 2,200 miles into my ride.

Now 1,600 miles later in Conway Arkansas I just (just because) put in 1/4 quart that brought the oil level to the top of the glass. Have been rolling along so you would think driving 800 miles in 105 degree heat that the motor would use some oil.

btw: Spark plugs now have 17,000 miles on them and it runs so good I don't plan to change those anytime soon.

Average MPG is about 35.5 no matter what I do as long as I don't fill-up in Kansas. I do run MMO in my fuel on all my trips. Maybe its snake oil. Does make me feel good. The recommended 2 oz per 5 gal petrol. Its become like my rabbits foot. Gotta have it or I'll have a problem sort of thing. I think they have doctors for that.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Mine used 1 quart on the way over and another on the way back from Colorado. I was running 80 - 90 MPH both ways.

2 quarts between changes (3000 miles) is about normal for mine.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Been following your whole trip Jeff. Way to do those miles!
                      Regarding your return, looks much like mine last year. After Taos/ Rt64, I decided on 87 to 412. Past Capulin Volcano which was a pretty neat stop. Then 412 all the way to The Hub, in Arkansas.
                      Good riding to you for the rest of the way home!
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

+1 on th US87 to 412. Good roads.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                          Regarding your return, looks much like mine last year. After Taos/ Rt64, I decided on 87 to 412. Past Capulin Volcano which was a pretty neat stop. Then 412 all the way to The Hub, in Arkansas.

Last September I stopped for a visit at Capulin Volcano.
                          Nice thing then was NO Wind and NOT 105+ degrees.
                          Rode in from Folsom (to the north) on county roads. Looked around the visitors center then rode up to the top and went for a short hike. Fantastic views and scenery.
                          In Folsom there were having a town festival so I had a Cowboy lunch in a real Cowboy town.

Road winding up the Capulin Volcano (most easterly volcano in USA)

Interesting stop at a place I'd never heard of. Glad you got to experience it too.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Saturday travel

Stayed Friday night in Woodward OK after a scorcher-windy hot sunny 105 degree ride east. XS11E running stronger now, down at only 2,000 ft and with OK gas from OK. So Saturday AM I got rolling with the intention of riding US412 that runs due east to Tulsa. (home of some of the XSives ) Heat wave weather forecast was heat index of 110 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky. Just HOT & HUMID. But after about 5 minutes into bright hot sun blasting in my face heading due east I decided Plan B traveling southeast (hey, direction to Atlanta is southeast, what a deal) on US270 would be better. It was! Finally some great pavement and some trees and green. Plus no blinding sun in the face.

Concern was riding in such uncomfortable conditions -but- bigger concern was the hundreds of thunderstorms brewing each day in the southeast. Still blue skies. Got on I-40. I've always avoided that. But I had a real nice ride. Very nice. It was Saturday so few semi's & light car traffic. Plus I was finally covering some miles towards home after 13 days of diddling around. The weather forecasts were right. Sunny and 110 degree heat index. Got as far as Conway Arkansas before skies turned black. I stopped in Conway for the night. Storms very close but it never rained or hailed or zapped in Conway. Quite content with a 450 mile day. Tried to post some pics but motel wifi couldn't handle all the guest traffic. Now its only 560 miles back to Atlanta. Bike is running good, I'm feeling good. thinking hey, might make this whole 4,400 miles trouble free.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Sunday ride

Got up Sunday with the idea (much like Saturday's plan) to ride as far as I could until I get into the bad thunderstorms. Was thinking if I could make Holly Springs Mississippi or Jasper Alabama that I'd be real happy. There were 100's of storms brewing all over the southeast. Not kidding, maybe 300 all randomly appearing and not really moving anywhere once they formed. Of course its now very hot & humid and more sticky. So I headed out. Past Little Rock. Got Sundays 1st of 9 (yes 9) wet events west of Memphis. Never needed rain gear and never got underneath a downpour but drove in rain 9 times. Then in blistering sun. Each time I got cooled off but never really wet. Luggage stayed dry too. Stopped for a rest break at Natchez Trace Parkway in bright sun but 5 minutes later, another t-storm started dumping so I jumped on the bike and kept rolling past Tupelo. Made it past my first two places to stop and now I'm outside Birmingham AL. Whole area in thunderstorms. I take a break and decide to stop just on the east side of Birmingham to avoid Monday AM traffic. So I take off for Leeds AL. By the time I get to Birmingham the storms are gone and the temps have dropped into the low 80's. Sweet. It's 6:30 pm, too early to check-in at a motel in Leeds. (the Barber Motorcycle Museum if Leeds sounds familiar) So now I'm only 3 hours from Atlanta. So i heading to Atlanta i get near two other t-storms and get a bit damp and enjoy another cool down. Get home at 9:45 pm after a 562 mile drive in from Conway Arkansas.
                              GO 11E .......... Made it 4,353 hard fought but trouble free WESTERN miles -plus- the 14,110 ft summit of Pikes Peak.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Wow..You are a true inspiration...wheres the clapping or bowing down smileys???
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X