Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

That ride

is right at the top of my list of 'places to ride to' when I get my bikes running. I will also have multi-view video camera's rolling to record the entire thing for posterity. I have wanted to make that ride for a long, long time.

Now that there will no longer be big trucks allowed takes away one of the bigger risks of riding there.
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac View Post
      is right at the top of my list of 'places to ride to' when I get my bikes running. I will also have multi-view video camera's rolling to record the entire thing for posterity. I have wanted to make that ride for a long, long time.

Now that there will no longer be big trucks allowed takes away one of the bigger risks of riding there.
      NC has had this ban in effect for about 3 yrs now...about time TN caught on...riding this road before the ban has been hit or miss...but choosing the right time and day has alot to do with how good or bad your experiences will be... It also seems to me that it isnt as crazy there as it was a few years ago...the LEO presence has been very heavy handed...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        ...the LEO presence has been very heavy handed...
        It has to be. There were over 200 recorded accidents and six fatalities between 2010 and 2012. They are going to be held accountable to some degree.

The biggest threat remains. That is lane encroachment by oncoming traffic. Running head on into another motorcycle is going to do worse than ruin your day!

Last edited by jetmechmarty; 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

No argument there Marty...We have been extremely fortunate on our XSSE rallies through the Dragon in recent years... and we've ridden it on weekends...it still comes down to luck ofc,,, but lowering your odds by choosing an off peak day and time is a wise move... BTW that pic above brought a flashback of what happened at the past rally...luckily only a bike was lost and no one was hurt seriously...
          Last edited by madmax-im; 12-10-2014, 11:00 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I can just imagine what that guy was feeling at that particular moment!

Wow... you have that big 'ole heavy cruiser leaned so far over you're grinding away at all that pretty chrome and the sparks are flying...

and you're that far across the line already...

the sharpest part of the curve still to come...

no way you're gonna be able to get back in the proper lane...

and here comes another bike!

That's one of those moments that, first you say it, then ya do it!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

yeah cant imagine what the other rider is thinking seeing this a**hole over the line and heading right at him...kinda like an oh sheet moment...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Now, just think about all the traffic hugging the center line, or barely over. It's a recipe for disaster, and it happens lots of times each year. Have fun, but don't blow a turn!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X