No announcement yet.

Post Fall, ID to Victor, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally here is the trip report! I had some problems on the road with the wifi in places and couldn't upload the pics to Photobucket for posting. Also spent some time over the first few days working on some mechanical issues. Priority one was get the bike where it needed to be mechanically so I could put some miles behind me as I just kept thinking, "Wow, I have a long way to go."

Got to Spokane on Mon the 4th on time and Mark picked me up at the airport. We grabbed lunch on the way back to his house before heading to his shop behind his house to go over the bike. Here is Mark getting it "road ready" --
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We changed the motor oil and filter as well as the oil in the middle and final drives. I brought along an automatic cam chain tensioner so we installed that. Ended up removing the valve cover to verify cams were still in time after the install (please don't bend a valve!) so while we were in there we checked the valve clearances also and found all to be in spec (bike had 17,650 miles on it at this point). We flushed out both the front and rear master cylinders. I'd brought my carbtune along so we also did a quick synch of the 4 carbs. A couple of concerns for me were a leaky left fork seal, rear brake pads that were about shot, and the bike ran pretty rough until the motor got up to about 3,000 rpms (it redlines at 8,500 for those not familiar with these bikes, compare THAT to your car!)...but by now the day was over and I didn't have the parts anyway. I had hoped to put a couple hundred miles behind me by night fall but ended up staying the night in a motel to get a good night's sleep and head out Tues morning. I can't say enough about Mark and what a gracious host he and Debbie were. He took the day off work to pick me up and spent the afternoon working on whatever I wanted to cover, he was as concerned as me that the bike make it back to NY without issue. Even gave me a couple of tools that he thought I might need for the trip...thank you Mark!

On Tues Mark picked me up from the motel and bought me breakfast, then back to his place to pack up all my stuff on the bike. I didn't realize how much I brought with me but got it all loaded and took the bike down to the curb for a pic...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    We said our "Good Byes and Good Luck" and I headed off (to cooler parts I was hoping, that day's forecast in ID was for upper 90's for the 10th straight day I wheeled the bike down the road, still skipping at low rmps (this is going to be a loooonnng trip I thought) and headed west on I-90. Yes, I know NY is east but my daughters would have given me a hard time for being less than 10 miles from WA and not riding the bike in the state so this is for them...
    [IMG][/IMG]

...then take the exit ramp, top off the gas tank, and head back east

[IMG][/IMG]

The bike took some getting used to, seems heavier and less stable than mine, but we would get to know each other over the next 8 days.

My first gas stop was at a place Mark suggested I see a short ways into Montana called Lincoln's Silver Dollar Bar, you can Google it. They have over 50,000 silver dollars in there, lots of old Morgans from the 1800's.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see them hanging on the wall here, also for purchase in glass cases in the gift shop --

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look closely at the sign above the doorway the man with suspenders is going through, you can see the updated tally of silver dollars on the premises is 64,757 --- Wow!

[IMG][/IMG]

Photo op in the parking lot --

[IMG][/IMG]

and the scenery along the I-90 interstate...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I ended up covering about 300 miles that first day and stayed at a KOA in Butte, MT for the night (stayed at KOAs every night), here is my little slice of heaven.

[IMG][/IMG]

I could see the Lady of the Rockies that Greg mentioned a couple of posts earlier here, interesting to read the story as I didn't realize what it was way up there. And this was the end of day one on the road back home.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Day 2

Many of you reading this won't realize that I also had a post going about the mechanical issues I was encountering during the trip and many of the members of this site were quite indispensable in helping me sort them out, thanks again to all of you guys.

I got up Tuesday morning and decided to check out the pick up coils wires on the bike as a possible cause of the engine misfiring, and sure enough one was broken. Luckily I had brought what I needed to make this repair, my XJ at home doesn't have these. All I needed was a soldering gun so I set off to find the KOA maintenance man, and yes indeed he had one. But it turns out it didn't work so he gives me the name of a place that sells them. As I'm on my cell phone talking with the store my neighbor pops his head out of his tent and says "I have a soldering gun!" Cool, and it works, too! So I get to work repairing the wire in hopes that it cures the engine skipping.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the repair, (which needed to be done but didn't solve the issue) I got talking with my new friend. Here is his camp site --

[IMG][/IMG]

The lesson here is when you need to borrow tools, don't go to the guy with a brand new pick up, go see the guy driving the beat up, junky Geo Metro...he HAS tools because he NEEDS tools. He has a 50cc Peugeot moped strapped to the back. Why you ask? Because he is an active participant in the Pinball-Run rallies (think Cannon Ball Run but on a moped). Last year he rode it from Portland, Maine to Key West in 8 days and you thought I was nuts! Here is the website http://pinball-run.com/
      He said they run from Minnesota to New Orleans this Labor Day. Sabat was an interesting guy, glad I met him, and I left the Butte KOA knowing that I was only the 2nd craziest guy there that day!

So I get my stuff taken down and packed back up on the bike. The Vetter bags and trunk are nice and rated to hold 20 lbs of stuff each. I head back east on 90 but ultimately leave the highway and head south on Rt 287 to West Yellowstone, just west of Wyoming and Yellowstone Nat'l Park. It was a short trip of only 150 miles. I had hoped to reach Yellowstone late morning to catch up with my cousin Brian from Knoxville who had ridden his Harley out for the rally in Sturgis, SD and ride through Yellowstone with him that day but I was so late leaving Butte that the timing didn't work. Turned out OK I guess because Brian later told me that it rained on them most of the day. Here are more pics of the landscape on the way to Yellowstone...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The pictures don't do justice to how beautiful this part of the country really is. Every time I came around a bend in the road I wanted to stop and pull my Ipad out of the fairing and take a picture. Pretty quickly I realized I would never get where I was going if I didn't keep the wheels turning...but I highly recommend seeing this part of the US and you guys who live out here are soooo lucky that you can see this all the time.

Tomorrow I tour Yellowstone!
      Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Beautiful memories.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hi Billy,
          Nice pictures. Are you back on normal time yet?
          The next day you went to Yellowstone......carry on from there
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I woke up early in West Yellowstone and captured the sunrise.

[IMG][/IMG]

The road around and through Yellowstone is a big figure 8, each loop about 35 miles, and there are lots of places where the steam is rising out of the ground.

[IMG][/IMG]

Arrived at the parking area for Old Faithful, a rose between two thorns right?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Faithful is a big attraction, erupting every 90 minutes or so and lasting 2-5 minutes, can't get the video to load but here is a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yellowstone Lake

[IMG][/IMG]

I came around a bend in the road to find two park ranger pick ups with lights flashing sitting along the road, two guys with shovels were shoveling the hail that had just fallen off the road. Then a couple of miles later traffic came to a stand still...

[IMG][/IMG]

There we all sat in the rain as these big bison sauntered across the road as if they owned the place, which of course they do! It rained off and on for an hour but as I approached the North East exit out of the park it started coming down hard

[IMG][/IMG]

so there was only one thing to do...

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally it started clearing to the NE so I headed out of the park and took Bear Tooth Pass (Rt 212) up and over the mountains into Red Lodge, MT. Great views, lots of 20 mph turns, and not a lot of guard rails! Stayed the night in Red Lodge and the day next headed towards Sturgis by taking Rt 310 to Lovell and then Alt. 14 back to I-90. Both Bear Tooth and Alt 14 are closed in the winter and the ride and scenery is outstanding, I doubt you'll ever see anything more beautiful.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I made it to SD just outside Sturgis that night and camped out, motorcycles everywhere for the rally. Unfortunately with the bike running so rough at low speed I didn't dare get wound up in all the traffic. So I spent part of the day cleaning the carbs and some electrical connections in hopes of getting it to run better. All the Harley guys were loaning me tools. I went from this...

[IMG][/IMG]

To this...

[IMG][/IMG]

Once back together, the bike did run better. Not perfect by any stretch but was now easy to maneuver in traffic, big relief! By now the rally in Sturgis was over but it was about 80 miles to see both Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore so I decided to make the run since I was that close. Part way to Crazy Horse all the bikers were pulling over to put on their rain gear, and for good reason! A pretty nasty thunderstorm hit as I pulled into the parking lot so I took a couple of quick pictures and then parked under the eaves of the information booth as nickel sized hail pounded down for several minutes, sounding like rocks against my helmet!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They still work on the monument each day but when I asked the woman manning the info desk when it was expected to be completed she said, "Not in my lifetime!" I continued on to Rushmore as the rain came and went. As I pulled into the parking area it really started to come down again, so I kept right on going, waving to the 4 presidents on the way by. Oh well, can't control the weather.

That was the end of my sight seeing. It was now late Saturday afternoon and I was still over 1500 miles from home, so now it was just the call of the open road...although sometimes other things call --

[IMG][/IMG]

I managed to avoid the rain all the way back to NY, spending the nights in Belvedere, SD then LaCrosse, WI then near Bowling Breen, OH. Got back home late morning on Tues and covered 2817 miles total averaging 40.1 MPG.
            The bike performed pretty well for being 34 years old and not being ridden much over the past couple years. Certainly some things needing attention as I decide how far I want to dive into restoring it.

Quite an adventure and I'm glad I did it. Who knows, I may even go back again. Hope you enjoyed the trip as well.
            Billy

Comment

BRok-- Thanks for the pics and post of your trip bringing the XS home. Got a feeling you and the bike have a pretty strong bond in friendship now. Nice to see the country you traveled through. We were there (Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, and surrounding areas) a few years back, and it most surely is beautiful country.
              79 F
              Previously owned: (among others)
              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

Nice trip report. THANKS
                Like many on here, I've been following along since the original concept materialized (fly out & ride it back) and am glad the journey went so well. I guess in the end it turned out to be a nice adventure and not a horror show. It seems the seller had reasonably accurately provided you with an honest overview of the bikes status. Good for him. He should be complimented. ......and you got a fun experience and a nice ride out of the deal. Plus you got a new bike in the stable to putz with. Following all the input from the collective and doing some preventative work before taking off likely kept you from having a big roadside hiccup somewhere along the way.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                  Quite an adventure and I'm glad I did it. Who knows, I may even go back again. Hope you enjoyed the trip as well.
                  Billy,
                  Hey, we've been enjoying the pics and travelogue. All-in-All a momentous ride.
                  UPDATE: got any updates? Curious if you figured out what maintenance or things you might be thinking about for that new addition to your fleet.
                  Keep us posted.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Update

Hey Jeff - Looks like people are still looking at this post, over 700 views now. Not sure if this is the right place for an update but why not.

The bike developed a bad exhaust leak on the right side a few hundred miles from home, enough so the frame is a bit discolored next to where the leak was. Here is what I found when I took the right side exhaust off --

[IMG][/IMG]

Decided to check the left side, not as bad but still needing attention --

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Took them to a local fabrication/welding shop and they fixed them up for me. The heat shield bracket on the right pipe had to be removed so the repair could be done, and I left the shield with them so they could locate the bracket properly before welding it back on. It was a pricey repair but not many of these exhaust systems around. I lost the left side heat shield somewhere on the trip so I left the right one at the shop as they thought they could fab one for me...we'll see. I meant to take some pics of the repair but was so anxious to get the system back on the bike that I forgot! I cleaned the welds up and sprayed them with high temp Rustoleum for the time being.

The rear brake pads were completely gone --

[IMG][/IMG]

...new ones came in the mail today along with the caliper rebuild kit. I never thought about it during the ride home to NY but back here all motor vehicles need to pass an inspection every year. Must not be the case in ID as there is no sticker on the bike anyplace. Once I got back I knew some things needed attention before it would pass inspection so rear brakes are first on the list. The front pads have lots of life left but I need to take both M/Cs apart as well as the 3 calipers to clean them thoroughly (SS brake lines will be a must do upgrade at some point!). After that I just need to figure out why the left front signal doesn't blink, then it will pass the NY inspection.

Once I can legally take it out on the road I'm planning a day trip to visit a member who has a MNS to compare notes and talk restoration. Just my personal opinion but I can't see owning one of these without trying to make it look sharp again.

The tires will need to be replaced as they are quite old. Lots of tread and they are not rock hard, I can press my thumb nail into them like I can with the 3 yr old rubber on my XJ, but they need to be upgraded.

I'm curious as to how she will run after regaining some of the voltage I was losing due to bad/dirty connections. Soon as the brakes are done I will fire it up to compare. May still have carb issues as well but one step at a time.

Other things on the horizon: blade style fuses, Geezer's regulator, maybe the FD swap, check the gears in the tranny, and probably other stuff not coming to mind at the moment.

Mechanically I would say it's about 80% there. Cosmetically it needs a real thorough cleaning to be able to see just what is showing its age. Then it will be a complete tear down and repaint, both the black as well as figure out how to redo all the gold accents. May try to track down a headlight, this came with the Yamaha branded fairing so no headlight. I have to do some measuring but I think the Vetter package will bolt on my XJ. That would be great because I'm seriously considering heading to the SE Rally at the Iron Horse next month, wife and kids are out of town that weekend so why not?

Anyway, that's how things stand at present but hope to be blowing smoke by next weekend.
                    Billy

Comment

So,did we make it home?
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

He made it, swapped bikes and came to North Carolina. Find him front row, center.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                          So,did we make it home?
                          well it seems so...I spoke with Billy a couple days ago...he is caught up with harvest season and is real busy right now...but he made it back just fine...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                          X