Camping with an XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with an XS

So this wasn't much of a distance trip, but still had a blast regardless!

Last year I got invited to go camping with a few buddies up near Heber, AZ for a weekend around the beginning of November from Friday to Sunday. Unfortunately I couldn't get time off for some reason or another so I left right after work at 6pm and didn't get to the camp site until 9pm. From Phoenix to Heber its about 150miles(I kept missing the service road...). At the time I had a 1983 Honda Magna v45, a cute little thing that ran like crap soon as I reached +5000ft in elevation it and under 30degrees... it kinda just sputtered at anything over 5k rpm. Made it there and back without killing me, so that's always nice.

So this year, we ended up camping near the same spot near Heber and I took the XS11 out there just to see how differently it would behave compared to the Magna. It's also nice to have her strech her legs out every once and a while... from home to work its only 4 miles.
    She did great from Phoenix to Payson, I got about 34mpg.
    I filled up in Payson and went to our camping spot, we spent Friday and Saturday night there and I took off on Sunday afternoon.
    When I got back into Payson I filled up one more time and got 37mpg.
    and back down from Payson to Phoenix, I got 37mpg again.
    I was actually impressed she didn't give me any lip in the high elevation or the cold.
    It ended up being 340miles in total with all the extra driving around.

I'm finally back home, just washed the layers of dirt and smoke off my face from the camp fire. It'll be nice to sleep on a bed.

Anyhoo... Picture Time!

ALL BIKES is in Rye, AZ, just 10miles south of Payson. A lot of the inventory got destroyed in fire started by this place last Summer.
    It was a "Salvage Yard" but the owner overpriced anything and yelled at you if you even lay a finger to examine a bike... It was more of a rotting museum than anything. Kinda sad to see a bunch of old jap motos go up in flame.

81 SH

I know what I like and it’s relevancy to the outside world or history is actually pretty minimal.

Is that a mustache on your headlight?????
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

hahaha it sure is! I got it with a bottle of Jose Cuervo for Cinco de Mayo.
      81 SH

I know what I like and it’s relevancy to the outside world or history is actually pretty minimal.

Comment

Here we are camping on the way up to Ohio from Florida.

This was a rest area just north of the welcome center to Georgia

We hopped the curb and rode off into the woods some to take a couple hour naps in our hammocks.

79F
        "Excelsior"
        Honda gl1100 handlebar
        Hid headlight 6000k
        Stock jets
        Shinko 712 F & R
        TC fuse block
        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

nice! I miss my big ol gas tank....
          81 SH

Comment

Pipe wrap on just two pipes... why?

And thanks for posting pics. Sad about the old bikes in flames. Maybe the guy overpriced all the bikes to his insurance as well?
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Starting about 2 weeks ago my header wrap started coming apart to the point that little strings where getting caught on the underside of the bike. I pulled off the two that were obviously bad, now i'm just waiting to get some Titanium Header Wrap.

I'm curious to see what kind of an insurance check this guy gets.
              81 SH

Comment

http://instagram.com/p/bvnf6wjDtx/

Take a look at my profile... My entire traveling section of the Ohio trip is there
                79F
                "Excelsior"
                Honda gl1100 handlebar
                Hid headlight 6000k
                Stock jets
                Shinko 712 F & R
                TC fuse block
                Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

haha thats awesome! I'm jealous! I'd love to do that one of these days.
                  81 SH

Comment

Working...
                  X